• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

Doug1966

Occupation
Woodworker
Would you happen to know where we can get a 46 tooth gear made up these days. You can't find this anymore, Saratoga ventures out of BC and wheeler can't find them anymore. I would prefer New not used but at this point I'll take what I can get. I have found someone to make it but they want the schematics of the gear from manufacturer. Can't seem to get my hands on that ether.
What about Madill themselves, now being run by Nicholson machine in Sidney BC?

Occupation
Madill Operator and Mechanic
We had looked in to that, I believe with those older models they stopped making the parts. It was a while back, for some reason Nicholson couldn't help us out. I just recently emailed them again and they never got back to me.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
When I ran those Madill 009 Towers in the 1970's , I found that if the rubber tire one's had any twist in the frame , the winch gears would throw off the gear dough . And that some gear dough products did not stay on gears long . One brand of gear dough that stayed on the gears longest came in a metallic blue tube . Can't remember the brand name , maybe Donkey Doctor would know , it might have been sold by Madill .

scottympm

Thanks Donkey Doc, Hank and Haulback. It’s actually a 3D printed model from Clever Creek Miniatures out of Alberta. It’s only 4 pieces, including the grapple. I painted it, modified things a bit and added some extra details. The cables and rigging are all on now, so I’ll just add some more spot weathering tomorrow, as well as throw on the horn.

Donkey Doc, any idea where exactly where the horn would be located on the roof. Also do you know if was it situated from front to back or side to side?

Regards
Scott

Last edited:

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Near the front and i think off to the right hand side near the front as i remember. Also not to be picky but why is there no diagonal brace across in front of the radiator. The only machine I know that didn't have it was one I modified up one of the inlets behind Squaimish because it had a heating problem. Also your topping blocks on the boom aren't right. Not trying to be picky cause it looks great. Wish I could build something that was as good as it is. Regards d.d.

scottympm

Thanks Donkey Doc. I’ll add the horn later today. I know the top blocks aren’t exactly accurate but they will suffice for me. They are actually too thin and should have 2 sheaves (?) in each one versus the one sheave on the model. Good catch on the diagonal bracing in front of the radiator. Ill add that in today as well. I’ll have to ask the 3D designer if this was in fact modelled on the one you modified or if it was an oversight in the CAD design! I know his family is involved in the logging industry in Campbell River (Tipper) and he has access to lots of equipment. He makes lots of neat models in both “N” and “HO” scales, both in kit form and as assembled and painted models. Here’s the link to his website:

https://www.clevercreekminiatures.ca/

Thanks again!
Scott

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Thanks Donkey Doc, Hank and Haulback. It’s actually a 3D printed model from Clever Creek Miniatures out of Alberta. It’s only 4 pieces, including the grapple. I painted it, modified things a bit and added some extra details. The cables and rigging are all on now, so I’ll just add some more spot weathering tomorrow, as well as throw on the horn.

Donkey Doc, any idea where exactly where the horn would be located on the roof. Also do you know if was it situated from front to back or side to side?

Regards
Scott
Hi Scott,
I think you must be Scott from Southern part of The Island - we shared pictures and information/mails about 10 years ago or more. We both build in scale 1/87. Please let me know if i am right or wrong. I met Kevin at the Hayes 100th Anniversary show - great guy. His models are outstanding. In spring I ordered 2 Hayes WHD - they are great except for cab and hood. I have to do my own cab and hood but beside that the model is outstanding - very fine details. At show I bought a Madill Steel Spar. I have sawed it in several pieces. I will put them on an HDX chassis andmake some kind of a replicerede of J73. It will be one of my Winther projects

scottympm

Hayesno1:

Hi Kim, you are correct, it is me. Long time no talk to! Pete and I heard you were over for the Hayes show in Port. I didn’t go but Pete did. Unfortunately he didn’t see you.

Yes, Kevin makes some pretty nice stuff and it certainly lends well to what I am modelling. I’ve got a couple of more models of his waiting in the queue for paint including Hayes HDX, Mack and KW 850 loggers, as well as an HD dump. I’m working on the lowboy right now. I may have to get a Challenger as that’s what Western is now using to pull their lowboys,

Great to see you back on the forum after your hiatus!
Scott

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Hayesno1:

Hi Kim, you are correct, it is me. Long time no talk to! Pete and I heard you were over for the Hayes show in Port. I didn’t go but Pete did. Unfortunately he didn’t see you.

Yes, Kevin makes some pretty nice stuff and it certainly lends well to what I am modelling. I’ve got a couple of more models of his waiting in the queue for paint including Hayes HDX, Mack and KW 850 loggers, as well as an HD dump. I’m working on the lowboy right now. I may have to get a Challenger as that’s what Western is now using to pull their lowboys,

Great to see you back on the forum after your hiatus!
Scott
Hi Scott,
Great to see you at the Forum as well
Sad I did not meet Pete at the show - I was there all 3 days but only to noon - it just got to warm for me. I prefer 25 degress and below. I got the KW850 as well but again I have to make a new cab for that one as well… I saw one of the Challengers in Holberg but it was being washed/steamed so sorry no pictures of her. Great truck.
Cheers Kim

DCT

Occupation
Logger
I’m new here so thought I would post my madill buncher and stroker.

Attachments

• B4C237CD-FF0B-4D5B-86C7-1CF0310766E6.jpeg
    B4C237CD-FF0B-4D5B-86C7-1CF0310766E6.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 6F6C7848-CDDE-420F-BD5C-E7D96F2A8D70.jpeg
    6F6C7848-CDDE-420F-BD5C-E7D96F2A8D70.jpeg
    631.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 0CCF2195-96BE-4F3F-A37E-F6D33BA85782.jpeg
    0CCF2195-96BE-4F3F-A37E-F6D33BA85782.jpeg
    367.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DECA3C18-719D-4BD1-8F30-2EB3BA7512D1.jpeg
    DECA3C18-719D-4BD1-8F30-2EB3BA7512D1.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 41

DCT

Occupation
Logger
Thanks, if anyone knows any info on either machine would be great. My dad bought them both shortly before being killed in an auto accident 3yrs ago and so I bought them from his estate and went out on my own this year. One of his friends thought he bought the stroker from Surco here in Springfield, Oregon but had no idea on the history of the buncher.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Thanks, if anyone knows any info on either machine would be great. My dad bought them both shortly before being killed in an auto accident 3yrs ago and so I bought them from his estate and went out on my own this year. One of his friends thought he bought the stroker from Surco here in Springfield, Oregon but had no idea on the history of the buncher.
T2250 #191 sold new to Hofenbredl Timber in 06.
Screenshot_20221112_183325.jpg
3000007 sold new to Adams in 2000
Screenshot_20221112_183619.jpg