• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

Kiwi Logger

Thanks that gives me something to go on, will have another look at our other 046 may just have to make something to do the job. Will be up at our shop next week so hopefully will get a few pictures of progress to date.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Finally...

Thank you Torkel! I have finally got a great pic of the Madill corporate decal of old. I've been trying to find one for years. Another one to add to my garage wall when I have it suitably reproduced and mounted.

Attachments

• P1120938 sm.jpg
    P1120938 sm.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 823

TorkelH

Madill Logo

Thank you Torkel! I have finally got a great pic of the Madill corporate decal of old. I've been trying to find one for years. Another one to add to my garage wall when I have it suitably reproduced and mounted.

I actually had you in my thoughts when I took that picture jackd!

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Good man you are. Does anyone have an actual dimension for this decal so I can reproduce it accurately?

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
big turn

183712_1899948102157_2287426_n.jpg

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
Now that is quite the genius set up for a dragline excavator. It gives you far more reach than a traditional drag, with much more capacity, although rather limited to the straight line from the dead end to the yarder. But then again, if the "dead end" is on a excavator, then in theory, a operator in the excavator can move left & right, along with the yarder, to re-grade off a slope. Very slick!

Ap40

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
With only a single part line supporting the bucket, i imagine the capacity was very low, but still a mind over matter solution.

Ap40

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
So the mainline shiv is no longer in use - the mainline now comes out at a lower boom position? I guess when you are draglining gravel, you aren't needing so much lift. The tagline seems to be tied off and not used. No strawline needed? Good pics of the boom arrangement for a 044 - very useful for my plans.

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
So the mainline shiv is no longer in use - the mainline now comes out at a lower boom position? I guess when you are draglining gravel, you aren't needing so much lift. The tagline seems to be tied off and not used. No strawline needed? Good pics of the boom arrangement for a 044 - very useful for my plans.
Good point, with out any lift, it would be pretty much useless. With the dragline bucket, which is meant to excavate material, or grade a slope lift & lower is still needed. Need more information as to why the bucket is single parted to a snatch block.

Ap40

BDFT

Looks to me like you go ahead on the main and the bucket comes up and runs out to the back end. Go ahead on the slackpuller and slack the main and the bucket drops and digs in. Can't figure out how the haulback fits into all that. The snatchblock would make the back of the bucket pick up quickly and lift up as it heads back.
I would be more inclined to us a running skyline and just put a long strap between the block on the skyline and the bucket but what do i know.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Why is a line coming off the guy line drum and going out to the hoe out through the haulback sheave, and the haulback coming out below the main line sheave? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me.

PhillipW

BDFT,

Around 1979 or so, I was learning how to run a Madill swing yarder (Sekiu, Washington) when the operator (Leonard Bochop...probably spelled his name wrong) tipped us over. We had a turn get loose from the grapples, so we set back to get it (guy line was slack).

About the third or forth try to pull a decent sized spruce out of a deep draw, we went past the point of no return. Leonard quietly says to me, "Hang on to something Phil...I think we're going over!" In what seemed slow motion, over we went. Sorta funny, but a bit scary at the same time. The floor was now the wall....we had nothing to walk on.

My Dad, who was the Woods Foreman, was a bit ticked because of the guy line being slack, but no harm was done to the yarder. We worked nights, so it wasn't until the next day we got to see the "reward" of the mistake. They brought in a couple Koehring loaders and a D9 the next day to put her "right side up." What fun.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Why is a line coming off the guy line drum and going out to the hoe out through the haulback sheave, and the haulback coming out below the main line sheave? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me.

I think we are all seeing different things.....

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I think we are all seeing different things.....
Check out ramseycoinc.com. This website might help make some sense of the setup.
Good to see an 044 still earning a living, but sad to see what it is doing. Still better than going to the iron mongers though.

TorkelH

Check out ramseycoinc.com. This website might help make some sense of the setup.
Good to see an 044 still earning a living, but sad to see what it is doing. Still better than going to the iron mongers though.
Allways good to see an 044! This looks like the other set up of skyline excavators I have seen, only it's a swing yarder with no original skyline drum. As I'm able to see from the pictures it's a tag version of the 044, hence the back of the three middle drums is originally used for the guyline, and probably also has braking capability of holding a skyline. See https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...-in-Nanaimo-BC&p=288740&viewfull=1#post288740. This drum is very narrow, but it may have been changed to get space for more skyline. The skyline goes through a block on the right hand side of the boom. The ordinary haulback drum (middle) and fairlead is used for the haulback line. The ordinary main drum (front) is used for main but goes through a block considerabely lower on the boom, probably to prevent lifting the bucket too early on short hold. A nice addition would have been a hydraulic guyline drum or two like those used on the dbl main and 144's.

Last edited: