1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by Contract Logger, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Doug1966

Doug1966 Well-Known Member

Woodworker
    What about Madill themselves, now being run by Nicholson machine in Sidney BC?

2. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Madill is at Nicholson. My sister lives 5 minutes from there.

3. Delbert Doerksen

Delbert Doerksen Member

Madill Operator and Mechanic
    We had looked in to that, I believe with those older models they stopped making the parts. It was a while back, for some reason Nicholson couldn't help us out. I just recently emailed them again and they never got back to me.

4. camptramp

camptramp Senior Member

Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
    When I ran those Madill 009 Towers in the 1970's , I found that if the rubber tire one's had any twist in the frame , the winch gears would throw off the gear dough . And that some gear dough products did not stay on gears long . One brand of gear dough that stayed on the gears longest came in a metallic blue tube . Can't remember the brand name , maybe Donkey Doctor would know , it might have been sold by Madill .

dirty4fun and donkey doctor like this.
  5. scottympm

scottympm Member

Hi there, I’m building a model of a Madill 044 Swing Yarder. Does anyone on here know where the horn is located on this brute.

Thanks in advance!
    Scott
    15018517-6E47-425B-9E21-8467AFEA6DA1.jpeg

Old Doug, Chopper95, Camshawn and 7 others like this.
  6. donkey doctor

donkey doctor Senior Member

retired
    On top of the cab. Nice job. d.d.

7. Hank R

Hank R Senior Member

Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
    Looks great job well done, how may hrs into this so far close to 700 or so????

8. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    Very nice work & accurate working replica!

9. scottympm

scottympm Member

Thanks Donkey Doc, Hank and Haulback. It’s actually a 3D printed model from Clever Creek Miniatures out of Alberta. It’s only 4 pieces, including the grapple. I painted it, modified things a bit and added some extra details. The cables and rigging are all on now, so I’ll just add some more spot weathering tomorrow, as well as throw on the horn.

Donkey Doc, any idea where exactly where the horn would be located on the roof. Also do you know if was it situated from front to back or side to side?

Regards
    Scott

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022 at 11:47 PM
    donkey doctor likes this.
  10. donkey doctor

retired
    Near the front and i think off to the right hand side near the front as i remember. Also not to be picky but why is there no diagonal brace across in front of the radiator. The only machine I know that didn't have it was one I modified up one of the inlets behind Squaimish because it had a heating problem. Also your topping blocks on the boom aren't right. Not trying to be picky cause it looks great. Wish I could build something that was as good as it is. Regards d.d.

bccat and Hallback like this.
  11. scottympm

scottympm Member

Thanks Donkey Doc. I’ll add the horn later today. I know the top blocks aren’t exactly accurate but they will suffice for me. They are actually too thin and should have 2 sheaves (?) in each one versus the one sheave on the model. Good catch on the diagonal bracing in front of the radiator. Ill add that in today as well. I’ll have to ask the 3D designer if this was in fact modelled on the one you modified or if it was an oversight in the CAD design! I know his family is involved in the logging industry in Campbell River (Tipper) and he has access to lots of equipment. He makes lots of neat models in both “N” and “HO” scales, both in kit form and as assembled and painted models. Here’s the link to his website:

https://www.clevercreekminiatures.ca/

Thanks again!
    Scott

Hank R, bccat, Camshawn and 1 other person like this.
  12. donkey doctor

retired
    Thanks for the link to the model supplier. He has some pretty interesting kits in his collections. Very reasonable prices too. I may just have to try my hand at one sometime. Regards. d.d.

bccat and Camshawn like this.