1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by Contract Logger, Jan 24, 2010.

1. camptramp

camptramp Senior Member

Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
    I know where the third picture was taken . The loader is the 16-23 a Northwest Log Loader ( a newer version of a Model 6 ) on a Madill rubber tire carrier. New at BCFP Renfrew Div. in the mid 1970's Jake Kruger is the operator . The Loader had air over mechanical linkage on the Mainline & Haulback drums . It was a very rough loader to load under , affectionately referred to as"The Pile Driver" .

2. donkey doctor

donkey doctor Senior Member

retired
  3. skadill

skadill Senior Member

Love hearing real life info on these pics,there just a picture,but when you guys recall the events and such it becomes a story and alive! thanks for the background!!!!!

John C. and dirty4fun like this.
  4. skadill

skadill Senior Member

It's so great that you and few others can relate to these and know what the backstory is, or was about,thanks for the insights,make the pictures come alive! Still a bunch to upload,will even post few that have people in them,they may be important people at the time with Madill.

5. camptramp

camptramp Senior Member

Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
    Thanks , I wasn't working at BCFP Renfrew Div. at the time of that log loader's arrival . BCFP purchased one of the first Northwest Log Loaders put together by Madill . It was on a rubber tire carrier , I'm not sure what kind of carrier it was mounted on but its my understanding it had issues . For some reason there were problems getting the right adjustments on the mechanical brakes linkage so air foot pedals & boosters were installed . The first Log Loader was returned to Madill and the one in the picture was built to replace it , with the air over mechanical brakes on the line drums .
    The first Northwest log loader was sold to Pacific Logging Sooke Div. after some updates were done on it . It was there in the summer of 1978 when I was hired on to run a 599 American log loader . By that time Tim Goudy was running the Northwest and it was performing well .

6. skadill

skadill Senior Member

Part of the Madill photo collection,don't know if it's someone well known or not.Shop behind says 'Island Welding Supplies' on it IMG_9416.JPG

Mother Deuce and dirty4fun like this.
  7. skadill

skadill Senior Member

The somewhat famous Yarder/Loader Swiss army knife Madill combo unit IMG_9417.JPG IMG_9418.JPG

8. donkey doctor

retired
    No clue who the guy is but pic was taken in front of Nanaimo plant. We got our oxy piped over to the plant from Island welding. d.d.

9. donkey doctor

retired
    Never got to see this machine. It was before my time. I certainly heard about it tho. It was known as the Skadill. I have no idea where that came from but somebody named it that and it stuck. d.d.

10. skadill

skadill Senior Member

11. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Mother Deuce and dirty4fun like this.
  12. skadill

skadill Senior Member

13. skadill

skadill Senior Member

IMG_9471.JPG

72hayes and Hank R like this.
  14. skadill

skadill Senior Member

15. skadill

skadill Senior Member

16. skadill

skadill Senior Member

17. 72hayes

72hayes Well-Known Member

road builder
    Does anyone know what tractor was used for the above Yarder?
    I'm guessing a TD 24 by the 2 stacks and grill. Also it doesn't look like it has a Pup motor.
    The square air filter has me confused though. Good looking machine, i wonder how tall the tower was.

18. 7.82Warbird

7.82Warbird Member

Sitting currently at the sorting yard/Mill 5 out Shelton-Matlock Road. 20200214_131138.jpg

John C., 075, 72hayes and 3 others like this.
  19. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    They will not sell it either. They will probably put it back to work in the spring

20. Plebeian

Plebeian Senior Member

Brightwater Engineers who built the NZ 'Madill 124s' swing yarders are looking to build a hauler again. (probably something along the design type of their BE 70, track base/ 70 foot telescoping tower).
    The NZ dollar to US dollar exchange rate $1.58:$1.00 probably making for tough equipment/ business decisions (along with all the other nz/ global forest industry issues)
    From Brightwater's FB 1/24/20
    "Following an increasing amount of inquiry regarding log hauler builds, Brightwater Engineers have opened the door to exploring the log hauler market in New Zealand.
    The foundations of Brightwater Engineers were built on manufacturing logging equipment, and we are quietly excited by the prospect of producing new BE70 Hauler builds.
    Through speaking with a number of passionate logging associates, and researching the current market, we have received helpful input and very positive feedback.
    We would like to thank you all for your positive contributions, and we look forward to keeping you updated on the new BE70 project."

D6 Merv, donkey doctor and John Shipp like this.