• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rusted spring hangers

Logger72

Has anyone had any experience repairing spring hangers? I am looking at a 1993 20 ton tilt bed trailer, the frame and cross members are fine but the front spring holders are rusted through, on both sides , the rear hangers are fine. The only rust to speak of is those hangers/holders. I am just wondering how big of a repair job it will be to fix them. Thanks

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Pictures would help, but in most cases, if they're in really bad shape, we torch off the old hangers and weld new ones back on.

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
There cheap and easy to just replace. willie59 is right though pictures would help tremendously.

Logger72

I wish I could provide pictures,,I have pictures but they are on my flip phone and I have no idea how to get them from there to here,,, I can tell that they are not straight hangers with a bolt through,, they are curved kinda like an S,,I am gonna get the manufacturer,s name off the title and try to contact them to see if I can purchase new ones from them,, hopefully they’re still in business.

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
Off the top of my head (which doesn't amount to much) I can't for the life of me remember the name of most trailer suspensions. Hutch rings a bell but don't take that to the bank. They only made three different hangers. The difference was how tall they were. Try a trailer shop first must be someone around you that deals in semi-trailer parts.

Logger72

Yes you were right,,,Hutchins is the company that made the spring hanger,,, Thanks, you got me pointed in the right direction. Now I just have to make a deal on the trailer! Thanks again!!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Yes you were right,,,Hutchins is the company that made the spring hanger,,, Thanks, you got me pointed in the right direction. Now I just have to make a deal on the trailer! Thanks again!!
Just don't let on to the seller you have the source for parts figured out. I'd be saying that I hope I can fabricate something that will work without too much work!

Logger72

I have run into another interesting issue, the trailer has no parking brakes, no maxi brake cans on either axle. It just has normal air brake cans on both axles . In Pa to get inspected there has to be maxi brakes on one axle. I don,t know if it was built like that or if someone removed them to make it easier to move around. It’s no big deal to install a couple of maxi cans on one axle providing there is room for them. The only reason that I am even wasting my time on this is because it not very far from me so getting it home would be no problem. The guy is asking 8500 which I think is a pipe dream, I feel that 5500 is a more realistic price considering the work it needs to be DOT legal. Ahh the fun of used equipment!!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If not equipped with maxi cans don't just add them on the bases, buy assemblies and swap the entire unit as the older Service Only chamber bases were not usually strong enough. 93 Should under DOT have had Maxi's on it, sounds like either a older suspension installed or a cheapskate had it.

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
I almost think you will need to change the air valve on the trailer tank. Unless you already have the right one and the 4 bottom ports have plugs in them. Been so long since I have worked on one of those trailers I can not remember the valve #. I am sure someone here knows it off the top of their head. Last one I got was around $50. Probably a bit more now but still cheap.
Another reason to get another $500.00 off the trailer price.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
We had another log truck with a spilled load laying on the side of the freeway on ramp the other day. About once every 2 years someone goes around that corner a bit fast to climb the ramp, leans the truck a bit, and breaks the spring or airbag mounts on the downhill side and ends up with the truck on its side and a load of 100" pulpwood splattered about on the shoulder of the ramp. Rust is tough on suspension mounts here. It usually happens with a good Saturday load on when the DOT folks are home. DOT now weighs the wood when picked up and often adds overweight ($) injury to the embarrassment of the trucker.