• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rust prevention on final drive hub

cjmc

hi all
I have just replaced the duo cone seals on my ex60-3
While replacing the seals I noticed the amount of rust built up around the seal lip.
I cleaned this off with a wire wheel on a die grinder and it came up pretty good, albeit a bit pitted.
Anyway put all back together and fingers crossed all seems fine and dry so far.
I am thinking of spraying the rusted area with waxoil to try and help slow down any further corrosion around that area.
My concern is that the waxoil will just attract dirt and cause more harm than good around the duo cone seals.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
I regularly use waxoil in that kind of spot, it eventually dries off if it gets chance, and seems to be better than nothing. I agree other products may work better but waxoil is what the stores hold round here, and old habits etc.