• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rust in Older Case 580ck Backhoe Fuel Tank

tasmanian hoe

just like that one. Except I would not use one on diesel, even if it's the screen for diesel, diesel tanks should have a screen in the pickup, a water separator, and then the stock pump and filter setup. I think a fram G2 is a paper filter for gas, so that will be the first suspect if you have problems.
Thanks for the reply and advice

tasmanian hoe

just like that one. Except I would not use one on diesel, even if it's the screen for diesel, diesel tanks should have a screen in the pickup, a water separator, and then the stock pump and filter setup. I think a fram G2 is a paper filter for gas, so that will be the first suspect if you have problems.
thank you will try this for sure

tasmanian hoe

Add a small engine filter between the tank and the water separator bowl. Get the larger size small engine filter that is sized for your fuel line, not the torpedo shaped one. Keep a couple of filters on hand.

Here is an example for a 5/16" fuel hose. They also make them for 1/4" or 3/8" hose so get the right one.

View attachment 214497
Thanks for the reply and photo great shot

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist

I contacted WIX and asked why they did not recommend the paper element filter for diesel. Their response was the paper in the inline filter was not treated to repel water and may absorb water causing it to stop up. The larger filters for diesels are made with the same paper element material but the paper is treated to repel water and they are also used in conjunction with water separators.

Sounded like a win to me so I have them on ALL my diesels and haven't had any problems. It gives early warning before you get trash in the more expensive filters and it it gets moisture in it and clogs all the better. The only thing that happens if it clogs is the engine shuts down. When that happens you know exactly where to look and 5 minutes later you are back running.

BTW the one on my backhoe hasn't clogged in several years.

Tenwheeler

Old man showed me how to install a short standpipe above the sediment bulb in an oil farm tractor. That way it pulls gas in from above most of the trash in the tank. That keep the machine running that way.
Another time he asked me what that long fitting was under a carb. I explain to him that is screwed in where they used to have a drain plug. The center of it is hollow is it collects the water and trash. Then you can unscrew it and dump it out. Keeps the carb clean. He replied " Hu, Just can't knock this modern technology "
There are in line filters for diesels that are more like a screen which just catches the big stuff. I believe the JD 5425 and Lull 844-2 used ones for 5/16 hose. Sorry I do not recall the number. If you use a fine filter in that application it will be stopping up all the time doing the job of the main filter.

Tenwheeler

Now I see yours is 1/2 inch, thats different.KIMG1864 (2).jpeg Stand pipe must work pretty well as it's still running. Old Alaska model no doubt. Has the air intake pipe clamped on the exhaust manifold. I just run it with the hose off. It's a SA200.

tasmanian hoe

Thanks for the reply tenwheeler, is this standpipe home made or can one purchase this. As you can see my bowl is under the tank how would i add a standpipe on mine
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 18

Delmer

The glass bowl originally had a screen in it, so the glass bowl served as the trap at the bottom. Personally, I like the water and dirt out of the tank, figure the water makes more rust, and the dirt just gets ground into smaller bits that will do more damage.

You can take that whole fitting off the tank, clean it up good, and epoxy in a riser of 1-2" if you WANT to keep the dirt and water in the tank.

tasmanian hoe

The glass bowl originally had a screen in it, so the glass bowl served as the trap at the bottom. Personally, I like the water and dirt out of the tank, figure the water makes more rust, and the dirt just gets ground into smaller bits that will do more damage.

You can take that whole fitting off the tank, clean it up good, and epoxy in a riser of 1-2" if you WANT to keep the dirt and water in the tank.
Hi iCan you explain further with the epoxy and exactly how i would do this...thanks again fo the quick replies

Delmer

Do you have a screen in that glass bowl housing, it should stay above the glass when you remove the glass to dump the water and debris. That would be my first choice, easy enough to find online, it will come with a new rubber gasket which you should have anyway.

To put a riser on that, unscrew the filter from the tank, and any fitting if there is a fitting in the tank also, find a piece of tubing that will fit inside the threads on the filter (or fitting whichever is larger). Cut a piece 2" long and epoxy the end inside.

Another option is popular with diesels, put a screen inside the threads that go up into the tank, it will have to be a tiny screen, but it will work OK with gas. A paint sprayer filter, or field sprayer filter will have a close enough mesh.

Bootheal

This screen is similar to what Delmer is referring to. Fits several old tractor fuel systems early JD’s. I’m playing with an H now and at one time it had such a screen.0C88DC86-9FED-4E04-8739-7D729A7F2E85.png

tasmanian hoe

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/...nXJomZkl8-1NVEwrDWVuIy_r95QYgYKRoC_nYQAvD_BwE

here's what you should have, probably. This way, the water and rust build up in the bottom of the glass bowl, where you can see them and remove them easily enough.
This screen is similar to what Delmer is referring to. Fits several old tractor fuel systems early JD’s. I’m playing with an H now and at one time it had such a screen.View attachment 214829
This screen is similar to what Delmer is referring to. Fits several old tractor fuel systems early JD’s. I’m playing with an H now and at one time it had such a screen.View attachment 214829
Hello sorry for the late reply..wow thanks for the photos Bootheal shows me exactly what i need to do and what Delmer is talking about also thanks for the great photo and advice.