• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Running Plasma Cutter on Miller Trailblazer

dieseldog5.9

Picked up an older Snap-on Plasma cutter years ago, seems to run fine right up to the point that it blows the breaker. Now my garage is fed off the panel in the house so not a big enough service for a plasma cutter.

Plan B run the plasma cutter off the Miller Trailblazer on the service truck, welder is a 4 prong plasma cutter is a 3, Made up an adapter from home depot parts, plugged it in plasma cutter had very little power, got frustrated and shoved it in the corner.

Is the adapter from Miller to go from 3 to 4 prong necessary, is their something special going on there that cant be replicated?

Is there a special setting on the welder to get full power out of the 4 prong outlet?

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
What model Trailblazer?

I do know we've always had better luck running plasma's off Lincoln Rangers then Trailblazers or Bobcats for some reason. I'm usually running the blue guys plasma off the red engine drive lol.

hosspuller

Just a guess... The welder is a 3 phase unit (4 wires =3 hot 1 neutral), when you connected 3 wires to it, you're only using 2 phases instead of 3.

one or the other wiring has to be changed to match.

Edit: Seems the Trail blazers have separate generator and welder windings.
..."An independent welder and generator power system ensures no interaction between jobsite tools and the welding arc, while advanced generator technology virtually eliminates power spikes and other electrical imperfections..."

Generator is rated for 10.5 kw What does plasma require ?

Last edited:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I have Hypertherm PM105 and cannot pull it with a 15kw diesel set more than about 65-68A. My 40KW set has no problems cutting at full power.

dieseldog5.9

Looks like my max output would be 33 amps according to the face of the machine.

Does the trailblazer need any turn of the dial to increase or decrease that amperage on the 240 side, or is it a separate system. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I am more mechanic than welder, and more welder than Electrician, but we are getting there.

I just need to figure out the amperage required for the plasma cutter.

petepilot

Does the trailblazer need any turn of the dial to increase or decrease that amperage on the 240 side, or is it a separate system. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I am more mechanic than welder, and more welder than Electrician, but we are getting there.

Miller tb i think would have to be set at its max dial pos. To give its full rating your plasma mach. Should have its min. Amp required on the data plate

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic

Search of YA5550 shows it's rated for 55A.

Bluox

Moral of the story then is it is a bad ass plasma cutter if I hook it up to the proper power source, otherwise it is a boat anchor.
The input on that cutter should be 46 amps but the lower the output amps are the lower the input amps are.
So if you turn the cutter down that welder will run it.
If you have a voltmeter check to see if you have power on both legs of the 220 plug or check all 4 125 plugs with a power tool.
I've seen those welders lose one side of the generator.
Bob

dieseldog5.9

Ok sounds good, we are venturing out of my wheel house testing this 4 prong plug, should I contact an electrician for help or is their some testing I can do with direction, I am decent with a Fluke 88 on mobile equipment, but as soon as we get into residential wiring it gets fuzzy.

Bluox

Plug a grinder into the 125 plugs and see if all 4 work.
Don't use a grinder with soft start on these welders .
Set your VOM on AC volts and with the welder at fast idle plug the test leads in the flat plugs should be 240 volts.
plug your adaptor in and see which two plugs give you 240 then check your shop plug to see if it's the same 2.
Bob

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
A 50 amp cutter on a 7k generator isn't really a good match. It may cut on the lower ranges, not sure what the range is on the snapon cutters, we've never run them.

On most model engine drives you set your fine control to max too for max generator power.

dieseldog5.9

I like the welder, has a little Kubota diesel, welds really nice, no gasoline carburetor issues to deal with, also I do not sell myself as a welder so lots of down time for this welder.

Sounds like the plasma cutter needs a new home. And if I want a plasma cutter I have to find one smaller that works within the confines of my electrical services.

Bluox

I like the welder, has a little Kubota diesel, welds really nice, no gasoline carburetor issues to deal with, also I do not sell myself as a welder so lots of down time for this welder.

Sounds like the plasma cutter needs a new home. And if I want a plasma cutter I have to find one smaller that works within the confines of my electrical services.
Your welder will run that Snap-On cutter on the low side if the generator is working.
I run a 45 Hyper therm on mine.
Newer Plasma cutters are a lot smaller and cut heaver metals at lower amps than the old ones.
Bob

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
That plasma is an older transformer powered type and really hungry on input amperes. If you acquire a newer IGBT, (inverter type) you would be able to make much better use of it.

Welder sets have four wires on their 240VAC power output connects for the two voltage, one ground, and one called a bonding wire. This bonding wire ensures both the generator set and the appliance are at the same potential as a safety precaution to the operator.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
Get some help, fix the electric. Sell that plasma, buy a new one. Bet it almost be even money as someone wont be able to resist the name on it. Do it before you ruin something.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
Lots of equipment fed from house services, you need help to figure out where the bottleneck is.
In regards to 4 wire, 2 hots , neutral, ground. The cutter does not use neutral.
Bond refers to attatching equipment together and to ground conductor.
The actual terms for theae wires, the hots are ungrounded conductors, the neutral is a grounded conductor and the ground is the grounding conductor.

Last edited: