• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Running a 90" dirt bucket

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Last fall I traded a my radial lift TR340 for a SV450B. The breakout specs on B machine are strong and I was wanting to get more out of the larger track machine. I noticed that Virnig started making 90" low pro extended lip buckets, I ordered the 90" bucket from Virnig. They build a heck of a bucket, they recently became Taki's bucket OEM. I have a Virnig 78" and 84" as well and and very happy with them. I was curious how the machine would handle the increase bucket size. I have not excavated virgin ground with it, but breaking out piles of pit run or gravel is no issue, breaks out at the same speed it does with the small buckets. The increase in width forces me to push myself ahead a little bit in the seat to see the bucket edges, not a big deal. However, would likely switch back to the 84" if I was doing that all day. The extra capacity helps moving material of course but the extra width makes a big difference when putting gravel to grade for concrete prep. I was surprised me how much difference it makes. If your running one of the larger CTL's and still running an 84" bucket, this bigger bucket might help increase your productivity. V60 Utility Bucket (virnigmfg.com) The website shows a 96" version as well, they have discontinued that.

Tags

I’m running a CA 84” 4n1 “extreme duty” bucket with a tooth bar on my Kubota 90-2 and it handles that fine. I wanted a virnig 4n1 but the lead time was too long to wait. I’ve been looking online and there’s a company called norm manufacturing out of Australia, they make one incredibly heavy duty massive looking for in one bucket, I believe it’s 90 inches wide and it carries 1 yard capacity. You can find a vid on YouTube of a guy in the states that got one, it looks fairly impressive, but I’ve always liked the Virnig stuff as well.

hvy 1ton

I’m running a CA 84” 4n1 “extreme duty” bucket with a tooth bar on my Kubota 90-2 and it handles that fine. I wanted a virnig 4n1 but the lead time was too long to wait. I’ve been looking online and there’s a company called norm manufacturing out of Australia, they make one incredibly heavy duty massive looking for in one bucket, I believe it’s 90 inches wide and it carries 1 yard capacity. You can find a vid on YouTube of a guy in the states that got one, it looks fairly impressive, but I’ve always liked the Virnig stuff as well.
Those Norm buckets are built like a fullsize track loader bucket.

CaseFan13

I’ve been eyeing the Virnig V60 high capacity dirt bucket, seems about the same as the utility bucket just a little more stout and it has the grading bend at the heel. My dealer wants $2700 though

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I saw that bucket on the net. I like view I get with the low pro version. Have you hooked up to that bucket? I would be interested to see how well you can see with it. $2700 is a lot of money, but steel is expensive right now so maybe thats the reason. That grading heel I idea they came up works awesome.

CaseFan13

We run a Bradco heavy duty high capacity which is a long lip and high back and if I put air in the seat I can see the edge. The Virnig bucket is supposedly 1” shorter in height and 2” deeper so it should have better visibility. I’m looking for a 90” to help keep material out of the tracks when pushing. That annoys me and feels like throwing money out the window knowing you’re destroying a set of tracks

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
yea that is another reason for a wider bucket.

Reuben Frazier

That Norm is a heck of a bucket, it would be nice to play with one and see how it works. Visibility might be an issue,

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Thought I would add a little to this thread. The 90" Virnig has been staying on the track machine. I have been excavating virgin soil with it on a couple projects without issue (and I thought it might slow me down). The machine is heavy enough to provide enough down pressure to break into the ground, and it has plenty of breakout to quickly snap the bucket through the material. Recently graded out 15 K sqft of concrete prep in 5 hours. The increase capacity of the bucket and the increase width really shows its advantage on laying out large pads. After a couple hundred hours I feel the bucket has already paid for itself with the increase in productivity.