1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Rules For Being an Employee

Discussion in 'In the Office' started by John C., Aug 23, 2021.

1. aighead

aighead Senior Member

Well said John!

DMiller likes this.
  2. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    I was looking at it from a old employer's view from years ago. His philosophy.

Micro managing is probably one of the worst habits an employer can have for the simple
    fact he will over look and create problems sometimes more often than not. If you micro
    manage your probably going end up stifling any employees ideas missing out on good ideas
    to use plus employee sees a ego problem.
    His other thought was keeping a happy work environment. As a employer your wages may
    not be as high as others but employees have a tendency of staying put at a slightly less
    wage because they are comfortable with work place. A steady eddy business for employees
    in most cases is more important. He never showed anger or spoke to the help in a
    disrespectful way.

Cliff's business ideas--He was a very good employer.

kshansen, aighead, John C. and 5 others like this.
  3. skadill

skadill Senior Member

A general quote is - The boss pays the employee just enough so he won't quit. The employee gives just enough that he won't get fired.

Don.S, TD24, kshansen and 2 others like this.
  4. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    That used to be the mantra of capitalism. It doesn't work when labor markets are understaffed. Apparently high talent labor are acting like NFL players now and getting what they ask for. Management has no way of knowing when the talent will just walk away.

KSSS, TD24, Truck Shop and 3 others like this.
  5. aighead

aighead Senior Member

You guys are hitting very close to home. I like my job pretty well, but I trade probably 30-40% more salary for a very nice work environment. A lot of us understand that but some do not.

DMiller and kshansen like this.
  6. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Which can create stress, one has to ask themselves is it worth it? Stress is a killer. Plus in many cases the
    job goes home with them which causes stress on others in that household.

7. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

And here it is. The root of this entire discuss. Perspective. If bosses didn't abuse this right, and employees actually would get fired for not being productive enough, there wouldn't be anything to haggle over.

But, according to every owner in the world, he's already paying more than he should be to the help, and every employee thinks they are overworked and underpaid.

And, to answer your question, John, I have been on all sides of this as well. Grew up in a family business. For 14 years I had to find work to do in the winter to survive because my father believed that $10k a year from him was enough to keep me there in 2010. I was loyal to a fault to my employers, and was rewarded well for it. I saw and listened to firsthand the type of employees that seem to be the majority today. Gripe, gripe, gripe all day long about how so-and-so makes this much and how management doesn't care about the employees and all the owner cares about is getting his new Camaro and going to Arizona every winter and blah, blah, blah. Just shut up and do your job. That kind of attitude is a cancer for the good ones, BOTH SIDES. The boss gets tired of the crybabies, thinks all workers are the same, and the good workers get soured one of two ways:either they become a rotten employee as well, or they move on to a different job to get away from the bullsh!t. It's a vicious circle that has gotten bigger and bigger, so big that there is almost no escaping it. Now I am an owner, who pays employees, but still works with/for the man that made it possible for me to become a boss. We share employees, and sometimes I'm managing jobs in his operation, and sometimes he's helping me in mine.

What it comes down to is respect. If the boss respects the employees enough, they will get paid enough, and treated excellent. If the employee respects the boss enough, they won't need these rules because they won't matter. But, like everything, respect HAS to be EARNED. Both sides.

8. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    That pretty much sums it up.

The rest is just human nature and humans in general disappoint. Too bad dogs don't have opposable thumbs and could run equipment..o_O

DMiller, BigWrench55, Shimmy1 and 2 others like this.
  9. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    Lock your wife and your dog in the truck. Open it up and see which one still loves you, pretty much says it all.

10. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    I agree Shimmy.

I look at my job several ways, maybe that's odd this day and age. My job is keeping
    the owner out of a liability situation, the driver and the public out of harms way first
    and foremost. The number one issue is safety. Without it the company could possibly
    be out of business in a heart beat. If I neglected to do what I was paid to do and it
    caused injury or someones life-I should be shot. I respect the owner for having the trust
    he has in me to get the job done. I'm happy with my pay, we laugh and joke in the shop.
    But the job is taken seriously. If I worked for you or anyone else I would handle it the
    same way.

11. BigWrench55

BigWrench55 Senior Member

This is the kind of employee that I am. I show up everyday and on time. I get the job done and done well. When I make mistakes I own them rather than make excuses for my mistakes. I treat company resources as they were my own and I treat their money the same way. But my number one rule is. I am number one my needs come first no matter what. If the job is causing unnecessary stress then I am gone. If I want more money or a better position and you can't or won't give it to me. Then I'm gone. My needs and my family come first. I am a good employee for the most part and I will do the job I am hired to do. But any company or owner that thinks I should be loyal to them and stick around because they treat me well. Is sadly mistaken. I owe you nothing but a job well done. Like I said before. This isn't personal it business and my needs come first. Just the same way any company or business owners run their business.

Mike L, repowerguy, DMiller and 2 others like this.
  12. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I will hold this for a while. Thanks for reading, bigwrench.

DMiller and BigWrench55 like this.