• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

rubber tracks on crawler loader

tdrainage

with all the hoopla about the ctl's going on, and understanding the benefits - was wondering if anyone has - or if it is possible to put rubber tracks on a 1-2yd size machine?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The biggest question would be why? Rubber tracks are more expensive to operate than metal. Only in a very special situation would it make sense.

The weight and power of a 2 yard machine would destroy even a heavy duty set of rubber tracks.

tdrainage

idea would be for carrying a tile reel on the front for stringing drainage tile. A larger loader would be heavy enough to hold a maxi roll of tile on the front, the track base would be good for wet/muddy/rough ground, and being on rubber would be nice for taking down the road for short distances. We have jobs that are many times only a mile or so down the road and it is costly to have to haul a machine for short distances.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Could always transporter modify a farm tractor with rubber rails like the Challenger series or the Case IH Steigers or Quad Tracs as most dirt movers around here have. Would be cheaper alternative and has better parts control.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
I have seen a d5g with rubber band tracks pushing snow a few years back.

sheepfoot

Several years ago they used the rubber pads on the pads of cable plowing dozers around here putting in telephone cable along the roads. They were using TD20's and HD16's. The 16's looked like they were loading dock bumpers almost like the tire strip street pads on a backhoe. They had a 175B loader with soft pads also carrying a reel. I know you can do it and it will work, but it depends on what ground pressure you need. Most track loaders don't run a wide pad and could get stuck really nice in a wet field. Those dozers carried there own front reel holders, were able to cross roads and drive down the road short distances when needed.