• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rubber track sources vs. quality (yet another...)

Vinito

Excuse what is undoubtedly a repeated subject. I did search and didn't find particularly recent posts and not quite answers to my thoughts.

I am inexperienced with track loaders. I just picked up a Takeuchi TL26 and it needs tracks (rubber) very soon. Searching the net I found various similar sources... asking exactly the same price, then a couple others asking 50% more money but similar-sounding features touted, i.e. spiral wound cable, special dip bonding on the bars, tear-resistant rubber, etc.

I have read that these tracks are likely made in the same places so likely similar quality. Is that the consensus from yous guys? DuroForce track and a couple others seem to have successfully marketed their track to be "better", but unless some here report they have experience with significant difference, I'm inclined to chalk that up to successful marketing.

Anyways, any feedback is welcome. At the moment, I'm leaning toward ordering a pair from one of the several sources in the US. The ones I'm looking at are one of the ones I keep seeing for $1131.26 (the magic number as of today). Otherwise, the price seems to be over $1,500 which isn't a huge deal if the track is a lot better, but it seems to me that the difference isn't likely to be much, if anything.

Thanks for your thoughts.

p.s. Any thoughts on tread pattern pros/cons? The stock pattern apparently is the staggered C. Is there much difference with any others? (I will be mostly on not-very-rocky dry dirt with occasional gravel and rare pavement. I pretty much avoid working in mud, so won't need traction for that but extremely rarely)

Last edited:

Txhayseed

US source Chinese tracks. One brand goes left one brand goes right one brand goes straight on Monday then Tuesday they start over with three more brands. I have yet to find one brand outperform or out last another. They all say made in china. The world is small now and every manufacturer out there is looking for the lowest possible cost to manufacture the tracks they sell on to you for xyz profit. Only difference i have seen is in the tread pattern verse track wear and longevity. The block pattern from my personal experience seems to give the best overall life span on wear over time. One person says they like brand a next one says b. It comes down to what your wallet says and what you want you to spend. Life span depends on so many variables including they guy using the machine. If your the guy footing the bill you tend to be more conscious of taking care of and paying attention to conditions on your job.

Vinito

Thanks. Tex. That sounds correct to me.
The block tread wearing well makes sense to me. The double and zigzag tread is touted to be smoother, but I wonder if it's at all significant when the machine is inherently "rough riding" out of the gate. I'll probably go with the block tread since I've seen the low end of the prices I'm seeing tend to have those.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
I just ordered a set of zigzag tracks from Mclaren... specifically because my machine vibrates so loud it’s painful when tracking at high speed across hard ground.
$3,100 delivered.
will report back on if they are quieter ... hoping they arrive by next week.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Got the zigzag tracks installed and they are definitely smoother and quieter!
grippy too... in fact it grips so much that when pivoting the machine will kinda shimmy/hop a bit instead of just skip sideways like it did with the block pattern tracks.
Tracks do indeed say made in China but seem to be of decent construction.... will have to wait and see how they hold up.
Also, here’s a PSA on replacing your sprockets when you replace your tracks.... unless you want to prematurely wear out the new tracks.

Attachments

• E4814C51-9986-4291-B89C-77561503EF7D.jpeg
    E4814C51-9986-4291-B89C-77561503EF7D.jpeg
    585.3 KB · Views: 19
  • C408EEF9-CBFE-47D4-82E0-877BA0C6FA82.jpeg
    C408EEF9-CBFE-47D4-82E0-877BA0C6FA82.jpeg
    522.1 KB · Views: 19
  • CD37BCE3-4370-42CF-8580-AEF0D8B39757.jpeg
    CD37BCE3-4370-42CF-8580-AEF0D8B39757.jpeg
    585.3 KB · Views: 17

Shimmy1

Zigzag pattern definitely give better traction on ice/snow, but if you ever want to do anything on grass, better plan on reseeding because you will have it cultivated up nicely when finished.

Vinito

Thanks moto. Good to hear firsthand review of the tread.
Also, I was planning on changing the sprockets too. One side isn't too bad but the other is noticeably more worn and I figure it's worth the cost to have things meshing well.