• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rounded Dump Trailers

Wolf

Does anyone know why the dump trailers used for hauling dirt/rock in the West are usually rounded bottom (half cylinder)?

You never see these on the East Coast.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Round bottom trailers are usally rock bodies they hold up very well to the abuse of large irregullar shapes. I am on the east cost and i see them all the time a lot of scrap guys use them.

Wolf

Interesting. Why do you suppose that they are not used more for dirt and demolition debris such as wood on the East Coast. They are very commonplace for those uses out West. The rectangular dump trucks on the East Coast seem larger and more powerful.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Well the way I see it is that the problem with a round bottom container is to get the same CY capacity you have to make it taller (high center of gravity, more difficult to load) or longer (more difficult to transport) I have plans in the future to get a 50 CY round dump trailer to haul demo and concrete.

gordyo

Charter Member
Occupation
Fleet Manager
Do you suppose it might be because there is no 90 degree corners for wet dirt and loam to get stuck too so no banging, no jumping up into the body with a shovel?? I think rock and concrete etc. would slide out better. Just a quess

Last edited:

tylermckee

Company i used to work for had a dump truck with a rock body, it held up very well when hauling large boulders, and it had an air lift gate which you really need when hauling big rocks and/or brus/demo debris.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
They are called "Tub" bodies they are good for hauling sticky material because there is no real corners for the material to catch in.

kamerad47

Round trailers keep the material center in the bodys !!! trailers tip very easy!!!! & your right no coners to catch!!!!

Wolf

Biggest High Sides

What's the biggest high sides trailer you've ever seen for demolition?

Grader4me

Ford LT-9000 said:
They are called "Tub" bodies they are good for hauling sticky material because there is no real corners for the material to catch in.

We tried a couple of the tub bodies (we called them U bodies) for all season purposes. They had a bed chain running down the center of the box for salting & sanding in the winter. Believe it or not once the material over the bed chain was gone, the rest of the material just didn't want to come down onto the chain.:Banghead We hooked a vibrator on the side to try and shake the material down but that didn't work either. Because of the U shape you couldn't haul a very big load in the summer either. We don't have them anymore.....

farmerted44

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
gordyo said:
Do you suppose it might be because there is no 90 degree corners for wet dirt and loam to get stuck too so no banging, no jumping up into the body with a shovel?? I think rock and concrete etc. would slide out better. Just a quess
BINGO!!!!

farmerted44

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
dozer boy do they use mostly tubs in california?? here in arizona we sure do. there is also different grades of tubs.thin walls for sand ect. thick walls for boulders, rocks.
i have seen some pretty high sides out here on the demo beds.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
farmerted44 said:
dozer boy do they use mostly tubs in california?? here in arizona we sure do. there is also different grades of tubs.thin walls for sand ect. thick walls for boulders, rocks.
i have seen some pretty high sides out here on the demo beds.

Ya what Wolf said the only different grades I have seen out here is between low, med, and high sides high side being the lightest duty generally. I was loading some rebar into a high side and was really cramming it in there when a piece of bar went through the side of the trailer oops.:nono One of our guys loaded a high side full of dirt the truck couldn’t even move it he had to open the gate and I had to drag most of the dirt out of the trailer with my hoe:eek: :Banghead .

farmerted44

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Dozerboy said:
One of our guys loaded a high side full of dirt the truck couldn’t even move it he had to open the gate and I had to drag most of the dirt out of the trailer with my hoe:eek: :Banghead .
:nono i am lmao just picturing a demo bed loaded down w/ dirt. i cant believe the driver let em load it like that!! i have to deal w/ the demo tubs almost daily.i must say they really feel special coming to our landfill to dump. we level and back drag a spot for them and hold up all other traffic from entering tipping floor. we had one go over on us about 8 months ago, boss chewed our butts good. said whatever it takes no more tip overs!!

Wolf

East Coast Dump Trucks

Yeah, and it seems like the dump trucks you see on the east coast are bigger and more powerful. most of them seem to be MACK. Why do you think they are bigger there?

The tub trailers used out West are pulled by a generic tractor as in tractor trailer.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
We had one go over on us, so from then on I would put the bucket of my hoe in there trailer as they dumped only a few of the dumps out here limit 1 end dump at a time.

IMO out here they more old school in the brand people run. I see a lot of Pets, KW, and Macks just like most of the equipment are Cats. Power is for the hills we did a resavar(SP?) that had ~a 1/2mi. 17% grade to the top and we imported ~10K yds.