• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rough night

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
10:45 and I get awakened by the wife yelling, she had just put the Dachshund we have out for one last pee break and was trying to coax him back in, she has no control of him so he wanders ignoring her. He then came running like was on fire and rightly so, had been skunked, bolted right thru the OPEN front door where the wife caught him dragged him thru the bedroom and put him in OUR shower so the ENTIRE house got a hard dose of skunk.

Have scrubbed him twice, his muzzle is soaked with skunk so he is an outside dog for now, spent the night in the breezeway, washed floors, febreeze air freshener everywhere, windows all open with fans pushing air out and still skunky. Gonna be a rough week.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
that exact event is a possibility I greatly fear .... did the shower & soap procedure work ok or did ye also try the peroxide / baking soda additions to the dishsoap?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The soap mixture was vet information for another animal we had, is also on the internet these days. Seems to help about the best of all the remedies. Another friend of ours said there is Technu available that will cut the oil the skunk delivers and drop much of the smell. I suspect it is a similar concoction just commercial.

ETER

Took the healer dogs for the early morning walk about three or four weeks ago, the young one shot off into the treeline as he often does...shot back out and immediately started rolling in the dirt shoving his muzzle through the sand... first thought was he got nailed by a porcupine...as soon as he came up to me I immediately found out what happened.
The dog has been washed several times with both store bought and homemade concoctions...on a hot day, the stench still radiates, and possibly will for the next year or two.
Have had plenty of animals get skunked before, but nothing like this one...he had to be "danger close" when that round was received.
Good luck!
Regards Bob
PS the dog's new name is skunk puppy

td25c

Have had some luck soaking the dog's coat with tomato juice .

Buy the big can .:) Letter soak awhile then rinse out and apply more tomato juice a second time . Won't take all the skunk smell out but sure tames it down !

serveimage

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
10:45 and I get awakened by the wife yelling, she had just put the Dachshund we have out for one last pee break and was trying to coax him back in, she has no control of him so he wanders ignoring her.

Well don't blame her for that, all wiener dogs are like that for the most part, they just do whatever they want, and especially if there is something to be chased.

My dad's dog is pretty docile for a wiener dog, but he went out after a deer once, and a raccoon once, both times it seemed Divine intervention that he did not die, its just that if there is something to be chased a wiener dog cannot resist.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Damn dog is 12 going on 13, too fat(just like ME!) and just too lazy, thinks he is still a pup but cannot manage it. Name is ODIE, like the dog in the Drabble Cartoons and pretty similar! Skattle Skattle and legs a churning just not getting very far very fast.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
Hydrogen peroxide mixed with soap and baking soda is the best I have found for the dog. You need an oxidizer to break down the skunk oil. Bleach will work in the laundry to clean the towels.
Had a skunk go off outside the bedroom window that had an intake fan in it one night. Had to wash the inside of the house and all of the fabrics. It took several weeks before the smell was no longer noticeable.
Tomato juice is acidic and that breaks down the oil but it is not strong enough. Hydrogen Peroxide is faster.
Cam

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I don't worry to much about skunks in my neck of the woods..I can smell them from time to time off in the distance but never had a problem.. strange too because I have 3 dogs that come & go as they please..
I had 2 of them go "see" what a goose is this morning..Lol
There was a flock/gaggle of'm out on the road.. the dogs were barkin & charging forward, the geese were honkin & chargin forward.. & EVERYBODY stopped short of a fight.. it was funny..

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
I had a skunk go off on the dogs last year, was a bad scene at 3am with the windows open, got a glimpse of the little jerk as he waddled off. After that my big red Doberman would go off up the mountain barking and come back stinkin' but he didn't care, eventually he either killed the thing or it decided to leave.

A couple months ago another skunk came for a visit, got all three dogs good, my Pyrenees decided to tell it to leave up close and personal, she got sprayed in the face and started rubbing her face in the dirt, at that moment the little bass turd tried to take a bite off her hind leg (I was watching through the window) I promptly dispatched the stupid critter, haven't smelled a skunk since. I'm fine with them unless they come around my homesite.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I had a red Heeler that hated skunks and got it quite frequently. I used Dawn dish soap and the hose to get her to an acceptable level, then off to the dogwash/groomer. Whatever they had in the dip vat took it right out. Also was good time to get her nails clipped and the undercoat raked out.

Old Doug

We have a dog at the farm and i fear that some day he will find one but i have never saw one in the country but in town their thick.I have seen them in every town i have lived in.You can see alot more wildlife in town than in the country.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Dog is still Stinky, must have gotten a full load in the face as his muzzle odors strongest, the persistent odor in the house has mellowed so not near as noticeable, he does NOT stray too far from the house now. Old mutt is 12 going on 13.

Truck Shop

When I worked construction there two operators-the Johnson Brothers {what a pair they were}. The younger one by a few years {Gary} was a real winner-crazy as hell.
He lived in a shack with one light bulb, wood stove and an out house, there was running water. One morning as the crew gathered round he tells us his sentry dog started
to raise a fuss in his restaurant style kitchen. He peeked out his master bedroom to see a food thief in his galley so he grabbed his 12 gauge pump and splattered that
skunk all over his wood stove. It happened-he smelled pretty bad that morning.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I came home about 1 am one night and had a skunk in the road, no room to swerve either direction so I went over the top, apparently its last thought was to spray my Dodge/Cummins from the oil pan to the rear axle as it tumbled underneath. Oh man, did that stink. Every time I hauled a heavy load you smelled it when the pipes got hot.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
These "Skunk Tails" reminded me of a story my dad told me about the guy who ran the primary crusher at the old quarry dad worked at. The primary crusher fed on to a conveyor that carried the stone up to the top of a three story wood framed mill with the secondary crushers and screens and such in it.

Well one day this primary crusher operator decided to have some fun when he found a dead skunk on the side of the road on his way into work. Yep he tossed that skunk into the crusher with the first load of stone! Guess the whole plant had a smell about it for a few days!