• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Roosa Master pump tool.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I have been looking till my eyes blur and looking for the part number for the Bristol spline type drive cam advance screw tool. Anyone have an idea where to get one?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I don’t have the p# in front of me but if u google STANADYNE cam screw removal tool im pretty sure you’ll find it..
BE SURE TO GET THE BUSHING TOO.!!!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Btw.. they don’t sell the Bristol tool anymore.. it’s now a straight cut TORX BIT W BUSHING (T45?)
but like I said, it’s a special cut torx bit..

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
Crap, we put one together and runs about 30 seconds and sounds like it runs right out of fuel. The guy was dicking around and changed transfer pumps so I doubt it's that and it was reallypumping fuel. Thought maybe the busted flex ring had clogged the return but unhooked it, same thing.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
U need to check to see if its seized.
Take the INLET FITTING OFF, now pour diesel fuel and fill the inlet up to the top.. Now spin the engine..
If the fuel gets sucked down, that’s good.. IF it stays the same, u seized the head and rotor..$$$$
It’s very important to torque the key components .. DV and end plate screws..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
These things are like a watch..
Each and every component has to work w the other.. & if 1 piece is outa whack, the whole thing comes tumbling down..
Stupid manual..

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I will check. It runs dandy for about 30 seconds, then runs out. Waitn runs again. I went out and took it off. I marked it taking it apart but one part in the window has a line, other none. When I put it on started right up, I don't do this a lot and my helper is really the mechanic but we have done half a dozen and never a problem.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
If u timed the engine and pump correctly, there’s 2 lines, 1 is stationary and 1 rotates.. U SHOULDA rotated the engine over BY HAND until the 2 lines met and STOPPED.. THEN U CAN TAKE OFF..
but seeing u didn’t do that..
Take the pump off.. u see the dot on the drive shaft.?? Now look INSIDE THE PUMP.. there’s a dot in there..
put the pump on DOT TO DOT..
THAT’LL GET U CLOSE ENOUGH TO FIRE..
THEN u can fine tune the timing..
Did u put in an EID weight retainer.? Did u transfer the timing line.?? Did u put the weight retainer on correctly.?? It’ll go on 2 different ways..& if it’s wrong, the line won’t show up in the window at tdc.. it’ll actually be outta time 180*.
These r the things u won’t have to ask if u get your pumps done by someone who knows what they’re doing.!!

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I believe we timed it dot to dot. There wasn't 2 lines on this unit. Now.... If we took it somewhere we would never learn. Maybe it's been apart before and would it run 180 out of time?

Vetech63

I believe we timed it dot to dot. There wasn't 2 lines on this unit. Now.... If we took it somewhere we would never learn. Maybe it's been apart before and would it run 180 out of time?
If they will even start and run at 180 out it will have zero power and smoke like a freight train

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Did u take ALL THE FITTINGS OFF the top cover.?? All the way down to the aluminum cover..
If done correctly, there will be a hole in the top cover.. NOW START THE ENGINE..
Does it stay running.?? (probably)

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
There were not 2 lines to match. I turned engine till I set the flywheel pin. We turn and turn, wasn't there. Took it apart, flex ring busted in to chunks. No mystery. Repaired, started right up, ran 30 minutes shut it off and went to start it month later, doesnt run right.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
So u didn’t JUST rebuild this pump.?? It’s been sitting for a month.?? And NOW it won’t run.?? Or it’ll start and shut off.??

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
No, didn't take all the fittings out of the top cover. I thought I took the return fitting out, maybe didn't although I unhook it. We had another problem in the middle threw us off a little as one of my guys had a stroke, ended up in icu.
So,,,, i took it off before I post here and gonna take it apart again as soon as the help shows up.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
We didn't rebuild, we replaced the flex ring. Ran perfect for 30 minutes. Went to use it a month later runs perfect for 30 seconds. Starts, runs, quits just like it runs out of fuel.

Delmer

Take the return fitting off, look into the pump, do you see fuel though the hole in the cover? look at the fitting, do you see crud? a ball? clean it. Listen to thepumpguy, you'll learn. Don't know why you'd take a pump off that starts fine and runs fine for 30 seconds, especially if it ran for 30 minutes last time.