• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rookie mover

3axle01

Occupation
Heavy haul mover
Hey guys. I just thought I would start a thread to get more info on the heavy haul industry, I’m very new to this so I'm still a rookie mover with only 9 months under my belt but 13 years trucking. unfortunately due to the status of the economy I was unable to work for a company that has experience in this field and it's been a learning curve for me. I have read many threads and gain a lot of extra knowledge from this wedsite.I have currently read a thread on cargo sacrament and had to change the way I tie down the equipment I'm hauling, The current equipment that I'm moving is rx500,rx700,wirtgen4',cat40,big paver, and a couple pulverizors all ranging for 40,000 to 80,000(machine weight)The current setup that they gave me is 01freightliner classic with a 245 wheelbase Eaton fuller 13 speed,12,000front axle 40,000 rear axles 285/75/24.5 on the front, eager beaver tri axle 50 ton rating hydraulic gooseneck with a 24 inch deck height, I’m in question of the truck that they gave me to haul some of the heavier equipment around. The truck feels like it's starting to fall apart especially the drivetrain.Any experienced movers info is greatly appreciated on safely moving this equipment down the road.http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk160/siperatrans/mail12.jpg http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk160/siperatrans/mail13.jpg http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk160/siperatrans/mail15.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums 3axle01!

3axle01

Occupation
Heavy haul mover
thx cm,Have a question on route surveys who usually takes care of that shipper or carrier, anyone?

GPC

Occupation
Lowboy Driver/Dispatcher/Mechanic
If it was me and I was moving the loads you move my truck would 18,000lb front axle and 46,000lb rear axles. I never realized how much the heavier axles helped till I went from a truck with 46,000lb rears to one with 40,000lbs rears and there is a huge difference.

For the permits and stuff we take care of that ourselves.

Chaining down and this is just more my personal preference than anything is. 4 atleast 3/8" chains on anything under 30,000lbs, 30,000 to 55,000lbs gets 6 to 7 chains, and over 55,000 gets 8+.

3axle01

Occupation
Heavy haul mover
Thx for the info gpc,I just recently had a drive test in a real heavy haul truck what a difference, I hope I get this job, The people that interviewed me did the research on what they need to haul there big excavators and wheelers around, here is a couple of pics I take the other day with the rx-50 on, they still haven't given me the right # of chains so that’s the best way I figure out how to tie down the rear of the machine.http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk160/siperatrans/haul9.jpg http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk160/siperatrans/rx-50.jpg

GPC

Occupation
3axle, that really doesn't look too bad for what you had to work with. It looks like some of your chains are maybe fairly long, why not cut them in half then you will have a few extra.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Rather than cutting that chain you could make it behave like 2 chains by simply looping it through the tie-down point on the machine and back to the binder. There would be a slack section between the upper hooks of the 2 binders. This way if either one lets go the other is still holding.

The way you have it now if anything related to either binder lets go the whole upside down v thing goes slack. In fact on further observation I don't understand why you are using 2 binders as nothing could be tight until you start cranking down the last one?

Maybe I am not seeing everything. It is hard to see chain configuration especially from only one photo.

GPC

Occupation
After looking at the pics again I'm going to agree with Birken. You could have taken those back chains and go two points of contact out of each one giving you a total of four.

3axle01

Occupation
Heavy haul mover
The whole two binder thing is not to make it obvious that i'm only running one chain but i guess I failed that one. good thing your not dot ,All my chains are 3/8 g70 which my understanding has a WLL of 5600 so for that machine I need 8 chains and 8 binder with 3/8 stuff correct me if I'm wrong,But i get what your said birken all try it that way next time I haul that machine sound like it would work more efficiently, They said they are going to get me the right chains .I'll believe it when i see it lol.THX guys for the info.

GPC

Occupation
The whole two binder thing is not to make it obvious that i'm only running one chain but i guess I failed that one. good thing your not dot ,All my chains are 3/8 g70 which my understanding has a WLL of 5600 so for that machine I need 8 chains and 8 binder with 3/8 stuff correct me if I'm wrong,But i get what your said birken all try it that way next time I haul that machine sound like it would work more efficiently, They said they are going to get me the right chains .I'll believe it when i see it lol.THX guys for the info.

Yeah you need eight for the milling machine. Just curious how many chains do you have to work with?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I don't see why you can't just pull a bight of the center of the chain through the loop on the machine and have a slack section in between both binder loops if you know what I mean, then you will meet the intent of the regulation even if the chain is technically connected in the middle. Your chain looks plenty long for that. When I get home I may draw a diagram

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
OK, I made a couple of drawings. Chain is grey, tie down points are D-shaped on trailer, oval on machine, binders are blue, and take note the chain is completely slack between the two halves, and can be any length.

The first one is the same as the chain rating but it doesn't use as much chain to get it done.

The second one shows it stronger where it is double the chain rating.

Hope this works

Attachments

• tie down not as strong.jpg
    tie down not as strong.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 832
  • tie down strong.jpg
    tie down strong.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 838

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
OK, I made a couple of drawings. Chain is grey, tie down points are D-shaped on trailer, oval on machine, binders are blue, and take note the chain is completely slack between the two halves, and can be any length.

The first one is the same as the chain rating but it doesn't use as much chain to get it done.

The second one shows it stronger where it is double the chain rating.

Hope this works

Elementary my dear Watson, but it takes some experience to teach us wannabes a thing or two! I really like that chain setup you've got there Birken Vogt, would have taken me a while to think about it like that!

GPC

Occupation
Just so you all know in the second drawing Briken made that setup normally takes allot of chain, unless the tiedown points are really close together.

johndeere123

something I noticed while moving rubber tired machines is that cross chaining always works better for me. If you tie from the right side of the machine to the right side of the trailer and do the same on the left, the machine tends to bounce more and sometimes unsnaps the binders. Where if you cross chain the machine the bouncing seems to be minimum and the chains stay put. It doesn't seem to be a problem for the smaller tires, more so the rollers and front end loaders and softer tires. :my2c

Harold Zebart

This is the place to buy your tie downs and anchor points.

The guys at TrucknTow.com always know what they are talking about, and always make sure you have the right and the safest tie downs for your job. I highly recommend giving them a call if you are outfitting your trailer for heavy hauling.

Check out their site and you will see what I mean. Everything meets or exceeds DOT standards and they have a bunch of safety info on the site too.

TrucknTow.com - North America's Trucking and Towing Accessories Supplier