• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Roller kills women

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
This happened today a couple towns northwest of me.... I'll report more when I know more....the article is from the local news station WFSB..........

GOSHEN (AP) -- A New York woman has been killed in a construction accident in Goshen.

State police say a construction company was moving equipment from a storage facility to a job site off Route 63 near the Cornwall line when the accident occurred shortly after seven Wednesday morning.

Witnesses say the driver of a roller vehicle which is used in road construction, lost control as it headed down a hill.

The driver, a 35-year-old woman from Fultonville, New York, was thrown from the vehicle. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

(Copyright 2005 by The Asso
ciated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Sad news. I'm willing to bet a lack of training will be a factor in this. So many think operating a roller is a simple job, but the limitations of the machine are important and can be deadly when exceeded.

My guess is one of two things happened:

The incline was too steep and the roller lost traction and skidded down the hill

or

The roller freewheeled on the hill, the operator panicked and couldn't regain control of the machine.

I've seen both happen before, but luckily no one was hurt in those cases.

2004F550, where are you located? Goshen is only about 45 minutes from me, SW.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
The company was Gorman and it was an old Hyster tire roller being driven to a chip sealing operation..I live in Canton....about 25 min from Goshen