• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Roll off accident

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Inquest opens into runaway digger death

12:50 25 Aug 2009
By Colin Sowman
An inquest has opened in Scotland into the death of a 24-year old beautician Christina Frazer who was killed when an excavator fell off the back of a lorry in July 2006.
The machine was being transported by Munro & Sons (Highlands) which was fined £3,750 after admitting health and safety breaches – the fine was subsequently increased to £30,000 on appeal and its Operators Licence was revoked.
The accident happened on the A9 Tomich junction with the digger rolling off the truck and down a side road hitting the passenger side of the car driven by 49 year old Julia Mackay who was giving Frazer a lift home from work. Frazer died at the scene and Mackay was trapped in the car and has not driven since.
The inquest continues.

JDOFMEMI

Sounds like this Munro & Sons is in deep trouble.

I bet they wish they would have put a couple of chains on that load.

No excuse in my book for having a machine fall off of your truck.
Sad that it ended so tragically.

This is a good reminder to anyone taking shortcuts with securing their load.

sidhou

Occupation
international sales
I think an auto leveling sensor should be installed in all trailers,this is really a dangerous work.

JDOFMEMI

What does auto leveling have to do with equipment falling off of a transport???

Chains help.

sidhou

Occupation
international sales
I am not sure if it is so called auto leveling.By install this equipment on every wheel,the sensor can transfer the road information like grade or bump to the monitor,then monitor will adjust the wheel position.
So whatever in which road,wheels can be adjusted and keep the loading platform horizontally.
I remember I used to visit a site run by a Dutch,he is advocate of this technology.

special tool

I think an auto leveling sensor should be installed in all trailers,this is really a dangerous work.

Well - the machine wasn't on a trailer, it was on a "lorry" - which means "truck" in English:D

And wheel levelers might be a good idea, they will only compensate a small amout for lateral g-forces.