• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rogers Cobra Neck?

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
In the beginning stages of specing a new lowbed to replace our 86 Rogers 50 ton and 96 Talbert 55 ton. We are going to do an all purpose flat deck 55 ton 4 axle, 4th pin and flip, 24' deck, etc. My question is does anyone have any experience with the new "Cobra" neck design as apposed to the old school croucher neck? Looking at them both at Conexpo the Cobra incorporates some good ideas like the 5 position ride heights on one lever and the pin/jaw hook up design.

heymccall

Having the straight neck Croucher, and being in the rust belt, I chose Aspen lowboys this last two times around due to the infinite neck adjust, and cleaner underside construction. My '95 Croucher cr50 needed 12 or so cross members, which wasn't a big deal, BUT, it also has corrosion buried deep inside the front rail webs, where I cannot easily cut, slice, fab a new part.
All 3 of my lowboys have straight necks, and, after giving up trying to make fenders reside on the truck, I can see the advantages to the cobra style neck.
Charlie @ Rogers has been awesome, but, my Rogers dealer really needs better organization/ personnel.
Both my Aspens have detachable stinger 4th axles, w/ 10' spacing. I'll never screw around with a flip up again. Two pins, two hoses, and harness, and it's off and placed in storage. Plus, both my Aspens have a detachable deck, allowing further trailer options further down the road. Two pins and 4 bolts, and the rear frame can be released from the main deck, to make blasting/ painting/ service easier as I can roll the rear axle set into a garage without the deck.
Local paving company has a Talbert, and I have never seen so many patches/ weld repairs on a gooseneck before or ever again, when they stopped by with their, at the time, six month old 50 tonner.

Last edited: