• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rock drill grease - special?

Dimonsof

Occupation
Heavy equipment maintenance
Hi all!

We have CAT MD5150C Drill in mine (West Africa). We only got it delivered 2 days ago, and now CAT representative telling us that for the top hammer (HPR6030 Hydraulic Rock Drill) we have to have "Special Rock Drill Grease YPG55 for Drill Lubrication System" (from SIS) and here are specs:
DROP POINT 288 C (550 F) ASTM D556
PENETRATION 245-265 mm ASTM D217
NLGI GRADE 2.5 or equivalent
TIMKIN LOAD 22.7 kg (50 lbs) ASTM D2509
SPECIFIC GRAVITY (H20 = 1) : 0.8
FLASH POINT 204 C (400 F) Direct Flame
VAPOR PRESSURE <0.01
MEETS MIL. SPEC G-10924C or equivalent

Of coarse, as usual in this kind of location - local dealer doesn't have any in stock and will take quite a time till we get it air freighted. I tried to with local Total dealer - they can't cross it to any of their products. In Namibia (on previous project) we were just using Mobil XHP 322 MINE Grease, but the drill we had there was CAT MD5125 and there is nothing special in the manual for MD5125 regarding that grease.

Has anybody faced such a problem before? What do you normally use for Rock drill grease (any other lube brand maybe?)

Thanks in advance,
Dima

blitz138

Most mines will use the EP grease they run on the rolling stock. Im surprised CAT didnt have anything on hand.

Dimonsof

Occupation
Hi blitz.
We are in Mali and local CAT dealer is most of the time just dealer by name.
Can you give me any particular grease descriptions that can match?
Thanks,
Dima

Braulio

hi there! did you find a equivalent to that brand?

Hi all!

We have CAT MD5150C Drill in mine (West Africa). We only got it delivered 2 days ago, and now CAT representative telling us that for the top hammer (HPR6030 Hydraulic Rock Drill) we have to have "Special Rock Drill Grease YPG55 for Drill Lubrication System" (from SIS) and here are specs:
DROP POINT 288 C (550 F) ASTM D556
PENETRATION 245-265 mm ASTM D217
NLGI GRADE 2.5 or equivalent
TIMKIN LOAD 22.7 kg (50 lbs) ASTM D2509
SPECIFIC GRAVITY (H20 = 1) : 0.8
FLASH POINT 204 C (400 F) Direct Flame
VAPOR PRESSURE <0.01
MEETS MIL. SPEC G-10924C or equivalent

Of coarse, as usual in this kind of location - local dealer doesn't have any in stock and will take quite a time till we get it air freighted. I tried to with local Total dealer - they can't cross it to any of their products. In Namibia (on previous project) we were just using Mobil XHP 322 MINE Grease, but the drill we had there was CAT MD5125 and there is nothing special in the manual for MD5125 regarding that grease.

Has anybody faced such a problem before? What do you normally use for Rock drill grease (any other lube brand maybe?)

Thanks in advance,
Dima

hi there! did you find a equivalent to that brand? im too looking for another option for the Special Rock Drill Grease YPG55

Dimonsof

Occupation
Hi!

No, we didn't find any replacement, but we were lucky to locate it in US and purchased directly from Winzer. The price was pretty reasonable (5 times cheaper than from local CAT dealer).

Braulio

Oooh yeah i bought from them ...

Hi!

No, we didn't find any replacement, but we were lucky to locate it in US and purchased directly from Winzer. The price was pretty reasonable (5 times cheaper than from local CAT dealer).

Thanks i bought from them but the specs sheet doenst say much it is the same as the ypg55 from cat?

this one is what i get from winzer.winzer.jpg

thanks

Dimonsof

Occupation
SAM_2821.jpgHi. We bought it in 20L buckets. And this was exactly the same as CAT YPG55. We purchased at the beginning couple buckets from CAT (at very high price) - and they were same winzer buckets with little CAT sticker on the top.

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
I use a #3 moly grease on my breaker hammer. Seemuto hold up well to the heat
Made by Schaffer’s