• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

road tech shuttle buggy

ON-Inspector

from what i understood i thought it was just the oposite. the asphalt is better in the buggy because it has the augers to mix it up and prevent segregation.

sitting in the dump truck the heat isn't distrubted evenly.

according to road tec's website the buggy should eleminate the wait time dump trucks spend on site. i can't remember how much they said the buggy holds but they make it sound like each truck should be able to just arrive on site and dump there load almost immediately.

i think whats on roadtec's website makes sense. once the paver starts moving asphalt should always be flowing. so the paver should never be completely full and neither should the buggy. so the trucks should just be able to dump there load upon arrival.

maybe thats in a pefect world though...........

the asphalt in the buggy isn't always being mixed....... it is agitated prior to being fed into the hopper of the spreader, but thats about it. A truck can unload into the shuttle buggy faster than the buggy can unload to the spreaders, not to mention if there are two and he has to re-position. often production is governed by the capacity of the rollers to keep up, not so much how fast the spreaders can lay the asphalt.

the main benefits we use MTV's here are:

1) to prevent end-dump segregation, as the asphalt gets mixed prior to going to the spreader, there isn't a lot of re-heating done in the shuttle buggy, but mixing the hot asphalt with the almost hot asphalt gives you better consistency. most trucks here run with insulated boxes, and run the exhaust out the box as well to keep 'er warm.

2) eliminates trucks backing up to the spreader and bumping the screed which can affect the ride quality

3) allows contractors better production when running more than one spreader on a job and helps to eliminate joints, the shuttle buggy feeds the spreaders a lot easier than trying to squeeze 2 flow-boy's side by side!

Just this weekend we put down 2600 tonnes in one day! 2 Roadtec spreaders and a shuttle buggy, giddy up! They had some tight spots on this job, where the road would narrow from two lanes down to one and a half, using the shuttle buggy allowed the 2 spreaders to continue on and eliminate a joint, there would have been no way to do that with backing trucks up!

sorry for the rant.... i'll post pics of that job soon!

spotremix

the asphalt in the buggy isn't always being mixed....... it is agitated prior to being fed into the hopper of the spreader, but thats about it. A truck can unload into the shuttle buggy faster than the buggy can unload to the spreaders, not to mention if there are two and he has to re-position. often production is governed by the capacity of the rollers to keep up, not so much how fast the spreaders can lay the asphalt.

the main benefits we use MTV's here are:

1) to prevent end-dump segregation, as the asphalt gets mixed prior to going to the spreader, there isn't a lot of re-heating done in the shuttle buggy, but mixing the hot asphalt with the almost hot asphalt gives you better consistency. most trucks here run with insulated boxes, and run the exhaust out the box as well to keep 'er warm.

2) eliminates trucks backing up to the spreader and bumping the screed which can affect the ride quality

3) allows contractors better production when running more than one spreader on a job and helps to eliminate joints, the shuttle buggy feeds the spreaders a lot easier than trying to squeeze 2 flow-boy's side by side!

Just this weekend we put down 2600 tonnes in one day! 2 Roadtec spreaders and a shuttle buggy, giddy up! They had some tight spots on this job, where the road would narrow from two lanes down to one and a half, using the shuttle buggy allowed the 2 spreaders to continue on and eliminate a joint, there would have been no way to do that with backing trucks up!

sorry for the rant.... i'll post pics of that job soon!

yes i would love to see pictures of that. i don't ever see 2 pavers running side by side. usually around my neck of the woods they do a lane at a time with one paver and a shuttle buggy.

they do the right lane and then go back the other direction to do the left lane.

i'm not really sure why on the highway they don't pave the entire 2 lanes at once. other than to keep traffic apart. those screeds will widen to the full width of 2 lanes.

Smokinjo

Occupation
Equipment Operator for Open Road Paving
Well we are going to try a new use for the shuttle buggy. How about using for an asphalt curb machine? My boss is nuts. I get to be the operator. Its gonna be hard to fun it and take pictures. $375,000 machine feeding a $2,000 machine.

andoman

Well we are going to try a new use for the shuttle buggy. How about using for an asphalt curb machine? My boss is nuts. I get to be the operator. Its gonna be hard to fun it and take pictures. $375,000 machine feeding a $2,000 machine.

I've got a $4000 one if you want to try that instead :D We seriously need some pictures of that one.

The Tackman

Occupation
Paving Foreman in Atlanta

We have tried it down here a couple of times. Make sure you close the rubber end of C3 off a little before feeding the curb machine. Yiu will be surprised how good it works and how much manual labor it saves. Post pictures:)

Smokinjo

Occupation
Equipment Operator for Open Road Paving
Well it only took an hour to go up one to back down. I can tell u it worked great. Its much easier to back the buggy and dump in it than to drive forward. This way u dont have to steer and move c3 when your not driving to straight.

Attachments

• joey1.JPG
    joey1.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,028
  • joey2.JPG
    joey2.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 772
  • joey3.JPG
    joey3.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 749

andoman

Well it only took an hour to go up one to back down. I can tell u it worked great. Its much easier to back the buggy and dump in it than to drive forward. This way u dont have to steer and move c3 when your not driving to straight.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy That's awesome :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy