• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rippers - Will It Hold Up?

Mother Deuce

Yep, South Everett.

I'm surprised that twin tigers are not likely to snap off a tang, especially in granite. I noticed that tooth style at the Cat dealer.

I talked to a guy at the auction a couple weeks back about that cheap Chinese ripper I've linked above. It's designed so that you can only pull it. He said they have their single tang version, and it ripped out of the bottom locks during some work. I'd thought about buying one and welding reinforcement onto it, but if it is carbon steel (unlikely) welding to it might be problematic.
There is some real fabricating talent about a rock throw from you. Call PSM in Maltby and talk to them. Walt has probably retired and is drinking boat drinks in Bora Bora but those guy's have always performed for me in the past. Wendall Malmberg's outfit, HPF manufacturing (Highline PortaFab) in Maltby are the two places I would go if I were living where you are. Both those outfits can get it done, they both have websites. I was using Cat teeth with the V arrangement not the U shaped pattern.

Cmark

In reply to the negative comments. Track wear will be accelerated no matter what type of attachment is used in that ground. Would you fellas have made the same comments 60 odd years ago when rear mounted rippers were first fitted to dozers???

If fitting the rippers happened to risk increasing the hourly cost of undercarriage R&M by over 200%, then yes.

Mother Deuce

If fitting the rippers happened to risk increasing the hourly cost of undercarriage R&M by over 200%, then yes.
I worked for a mining outfit for about 8 years sometimes, I found myself in a D10 ripping porphyry granite. I am happy to report that the Cat held up fine. The operator however was quite another matter. Gave the Bond quote "shaken not stirred" a whole new meaning.

Quantum

No Aussies nor Kiwis have bothered to get back to me. I suspect they know that shipping to the US is prohibitive.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
PM sent. They have sold rippers into the States.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
2nd PM sent.