• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rigging for a sea container

special tool

GC wants me to move his sea container 1/4 mile to other end of the site.
I'd like to hear some ideas on the rigging, with simple/safe in mind.

Its 20x8 feet and 4,800 pounds, four points at the top corners.
Weight and size is of zero concern to me, just the rigging.:)

Thanks guys.

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
I have always moved them with a Gradall. If you have one with 8' carriage, just use fork extensions, and pick it up. If you have a 4' carriage. One fork in the slot, the other fork under the container, and pick it up. Take it slow, and have someone walk with you. Piece of cake.

joispoi

Are you asking how to chain it for lifting? 4 chains of equal length, looped through the lift points at the for corners and secured. Each chain should be locked back on itself at the point of attachment to the machine.

In case that wasn´t what you were asking. :beatsme

Is the area accessible with a trailer? Hoist it onto the trailer with chains and then drive it over? If not, lift it up 6'' off the ground and start walking it with your excavator.

special tool

Are you asking how to chain it for lifting? 4 chains of equal length, looped through the lift points at the for corners and secured. Each chain should be locked back on itself at the point of attachment to the machine.

In case that wasn´t what you were asking. :beatsme

Is the area accessible with a trailer? Hoist it onto the trailer with chains and then drive it over? If not, lift it up 6'' off the ground and start walking it with your excavator.

Yeah, that's what I meant.
4 piece sling.
Yeah, probably there's no better way, I guess.
Thanks

No trailers.

crane operator

Loaded a lot of them with crane. 20' container= 4-20' cable chokers. One to each corner and shackled to the lugs on top. This might be too long of rigging for lifting with a hoe, but you are supposed to keep 60 degree angle for the rigging, or derate the rigging for the angle you have.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
I Moved one using the 4 way in this picture it's 7' each leg and 3/8" chain, on the end of each leg I added a 4 foot canvas extension sling. I just clipped them in the corner and picked it.

Attachments

• hook11 (Small).jpg
    hook11 (Small).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,395

special tool

Loaded a lot of them with crane. 20' container= 4-20' cable chokers. One to each corner and shackled to the lugs on top. This might be too long of rigging for lifting with a hoe, but you are supposed to keep 60 degree angle for the rigging, or derate the rigging for the angle you have.

Excellent post.
Am I at 60 degrees with 4 20 footers?...I didn't do this math.
I have the reach/height to do this.

Thanks for the math - everything is simple until you are the guy that actually has to do it.;)

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
The easiest way to move them is with a loader with forks on it.I stick one fork in the slot and the other underneath if I have to to roll back the center of gravity but if your forks are long enough you won't even have to do that.Of course you use what you got but I have loaded them on the lowbed that way and as long as you can see where you are going you can carry it anywhere there is room to travel.Ron G

flyboy912

If you pick it up with slings and travel with it, you should chain it to the rig and stretch out your boom so that it can't swing around.

special tool

If you pick it up with slings and travel with it, you should chain it to the rig and stretch out your boom so that it can't swing around.

Yeah, I did it yesterday morning. All was well.
I used 1/2 inch chain at about 45 degrees and a shackle and swivel hook.
Couple of my guys with guy wires.

Not so easy to move these with even a 60,000 pound machine when you have to go up a 12 foot wide driveway - without ripping up the grass that slopes up on either side of the road.

Of course, we all know the GC says, "it'll take ya five minutes with that machine"
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
One of these was it?

DSCF0280.jpg