• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

RH5 Wheel replacement for 1966 Clark IT40

SRAspland

We have an interesting issue. We have a rear tire on our 1966 Clark IT40 that is flat on the bottom.
I have been to two tire shops and a forklift repair shop and no one can or will put a tube in this old wheel.
It is a Widow Maker RH5 Split Rim Wheel. Two shops I stopped at called a suicide rim.

Looking to see if anyone has a solution for a wheel replacement for this truck that would allow us to put current tires on it? The tires on it our 7.50-17 which is an approx 32" tall wheel/tire assembly

BillG

It's been thirty years since I worked on one so my memory may not be quite right (shocking) but I don't remember those with a split rim. I would suggest a good farm implement dealer as that size tire was common on some farm implements in the day. I think those are hub piloted but I can't be sure.

SRAspland

It's been thirty years since I worked on one so my memory may not be quite right (shocking) but I don't remember those with a split rim. I would suggest a good farm implement dealer as that size tire was common on some farm implements in the day. I think those are hub piloted but I can't be sure.
Thank you. it is certainly possible that someone swapped out the original wheels years ago.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Later model IT40's had one piece rims. The company I worked for had about a dozen of the dam (I mean dear) things. They were all late 70's vintage. You might get lucky and find some rims off a later IT40. They were still 17" rims. I have manuals, no rims though.

One of the IT40's had 12-16.5 bobcat style tires on the drive rather than the skinny 17" duals. So that's another option you can look for.

As long as the rims aren't rusted or banged up/in really poor condition, any good tire shop should not have a problem with mounting tires for you. Deflate before removing rims from the forklift, inflate new tires in a cage designed for safely inflating multipiece rims. Nobody enjoys mounting them, but it certainly can be done (unless your rims are in poor condition).