• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

RGN Low Boy Heavy Haul--Are Spreaders Interchangable

rshackleford

From one detachable gooseneck low boy manufacturer to another are any of the spreaders interchangeable? Are they easily modified?

Thanks.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Not all are interchangeable but some brands are similar enough it doesn’t take much to swap them. They aren’t to bad to change the lugs on if you find a deal on one.

Quite a few Trailking and XL pieces interchange. Liddell and Fontaine will swap as well. Not all models and years but there are quite a few that will.

If you modify it needs to be done by somebody who knows what they’re doing. Lugs MUST be T-1 steel. It’s ugly when they break.....

hosspuller

Was curious about T-1 steel mentioned by Junkyard … From a few net searches, be very careful of any modifications you're considering. T-1 or A514 steel has a yield of 100k psi … 7018 rod is not up to snuff. Pre and post heat is important too.

rshackleford

I should have said that I have a Trailking 55 ton. Its good to know that there is some interchange possible with the XL spreaders. Do you think the dealers know that they interchange and will be helpful?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Most dealers won’t know and want to sell you what they have or order one. The good thing is a 55 ton Trailking is probably the most common style there is. Lots of 102” wide TK trailers use the same setup. Is your trailer built to run a spreader? They build some that will take a 4th axle but not all like that will take a spreader. They build the transition different, heavier material and additional gussets.

rshackleford

I don't know. We have a fourth axle so I assumed it was a given that the spreader was good to go.

I feel like we have priced out a TK spreader several times though a dealer. I assume we gave the a serial number and they had used that to confirm and quote. I guess that is something we'll have to look into.

I found some great deals on XL spreader. I hope that they will work.

I'm trying to haul a 105,000 lbs machine.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Most are but it doesn’t hurt to double check. Many of XL’s trailers are the spitting image of a TK, especially earlier ones. If you’re looking at used make sure you don’t end up with one from the SE as they can run a 10’-1” spread and make weight. You’ll need 14-1 to get 20k per axle back there. I haven’t bought a ND permit in many years, what do they give on 4 in a row vs the 3+1?

Sometimes a jodog between the truck and trailer works better. Most machines end up heavy on the truck vs heavy on the trailer. What are you hauling machine wise?