• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

RGN down for the count

Shimmy1

Agreed. Sometimes in the bush though, you gotta make do with what you got. Still, 9 hours?
So North Dakota qualifies as the bush then..?
"In the bush" could be construed as anywhere not in a machine shop with any such tool as might be needed. I haven't researched one of these "oxy lances". Or a piercing torch? Are they technically the same? Should it be on the wish list?

lantraxco

They are becoming more prevalent, and less expensive, but I'm not sure I could find one in my small town, could have one in a day or two of course.

North Dakota I have heard has a little boom going on there, something to do with making holes in the ground and now and then one of the natives, they may even apply for statehood. Yeah, most of it would be "Bush" I think, lol :tong

Drifter

I have a lance it will blow through a 12 inch long pin 3 inchs in diameter in about 30 seconds. With 1/4 inch rod.
Kit was $1200 cdn. The rods are the pricey bit like $30 bucks each and haven't seen a place that sells them by the rod.

crane operator

I knew I'd seen pictures of this. I just got my trailer apart here: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...w-trailer-kicked-my-(youknowwhat)-today/page2

I think my trailer was on its way to shattering like shimmy1's did. My shaft was actually seized and wrapping/ torqueing itself up and down. I thought it was split in one of the collars, but the movement from one end to the other in the shaft was it just twisting.

I torched my pins out. Just took a little time. I've never seen a thermic lance like nige shows. I'm not sure how you would keep from damaging the collars/bushings being 6' away from it.

I was thinking of something like this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARBON-ARC-...000565?hash=item1c6524e335:g:ISkAAOSwKfVXHVNU

Or was I better off with my torch?

walkerv

I knew I'd seen pictures of this. I just got my trailer apart here: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...w-trailer-kicked-my-(youknowwhat)-today/page2

I think my trailer was on its way to shattering like shimmy1's did. My shaft was actually seized and wrapping/ torqueing itself up and down. I thought it was split in one of the collars, but the movement from one end to the other in the shaft was it just twisting.

I torched my pins out. Just took a little time. I've never seen a thermic lance like nige shows. I'm not sure how you would keep from damaging the collars/bushings being 6' away from it.

I was thinking of something like this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARBON-ARC-...000565?hash=item1c6524e335:g:ISkAAOSwKfVXHVNU

Or was I better off with my torch?

thermic lance would be like what we call a hot rod but on a much larger scale tube filled with magnesium and such with oxygen shooting thru it , we had small setups at demo company I used to work at they used them for getting the jaw pivot pins out of genisis shears

lantraxco

I own a carbon arc torch, don't use it much these days. I've tried to pierce pins with it, after about an inch of depth the air can't find it's way out and you end up wearing more hot metal than anything.

This type of torch with hollow rods is what you need for the average pin and bolt sizes, there are several brands:
http://www.alcaminc.com/exothermic-torch.html

crane operator

Can you keep from gouging into the outer collars with one of those? When you're blowing along with the torch, you can see the difference between the shaft and the outer collar, and just blow up to it.

These were 2 5/8" pins, the longest 6" long. If I would have had something with more penetration, I could have left the outer forks and inner tower together, and then the pin would have been close to a foot long. Could you blow out a 1' long pin, 3" diameter and not hit the bushings? I knew I couldn't with my torch, so I split it.

lantraxco

Can you keep from gouging into the outer collars with one of those? When you're blowing along with the torch, you can see the difference between the shaft and the outer collar, and just blow up to it.

These were 2 5/8" pins, the longest 6" long. If I would have had something with more penetration, I could have left the outer forks and inner tower together, and then the pin would have been close to a foot long. Could you blow out a 1' long pin, 3" diameter and not hit the bushings? I knew I couldn't with my torch, so I split it.

I've not done it myself but guys tell me they can punch about an inch hole as long as the hollow rods are, the fire oxidizes the molten metal and blows it back around the outside of the rod.

Delmer

"it will even handle cast iron, stainless steel, high alumina refractory, SLANG and concrete." For the Australians maybe?

A black iron pipe hooked up to oxygen is all it takes to make an oxygen lance. If I ever have to try it, it will be rigged on supports to go straight in with me off to the side, but I'm getting too old for fun like that.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
I heard it was good to use a black iron pipe with a couple gas welding rods running through the middle to add a little more steel to the mix then attach the hose to a high pressure oxygen regulator. Also a couple aluminum rods added to the steel rods can increase the heat output.

Last edited:

walkerv

"it will even handle cast iron, stainless steel, high alumina refractory, SLANG and concrete." For the Australians maybe?

A black iron pipe hooked up to oxygen is all it takes to make an oxygen lance. If I ever have to try it, it will be rigged on supports to go straight in with me off to the side, but I'm getting too old for fun like that.

pretty much, I tried it messing around with some steel brakeline once along time ago just takes 2 people one to start the metal you want to cut burning with a torch, thicker it is easier it is to keep going still burnt the crap outmyself and almost burnt down neighbors garage .

lantraxco

Ahem, for slang, read "Slag" thank you for playing, LOL!

crane operator

Thanks guys for the info. I don't when/if I'll need such a thing, but if I do, I'll at least know what I'm looking for.