1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Reynolds Ejector not straight

Discussion in 'Scrapers' started by macfarms, Apr 24, 2022.

1. macfarms

macfarms Member

I just got a Reynolds 17E 10.5 that doesn't slide straight ( one side is always ahead of the other) You can tell the previous owners ran it like this for a LONG time. I tried unpinning the cylinders and cycling them like the decal says but it didn't help. Is there possibly something going on in the valves on the front?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

You may need to speak English for us mere peasants.

3. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    When you cycled the cylinders did you happen to measure the distance each one cycled from full retracted to full extended.? If the two cylinders are of different stroke lengths or different some other way that could explain why the ejector is off-kilter.
    Some photos would be good.

56wrench and mg2361 like this.
  4. macfarms

macfarms Member

Cylinders are identical . The one on the left moves 4 to 6 inches before the one on the right. Even with no load

5. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Could be something inside the cylinder that moves second.? Try swapping sides with the cylinders maybe, if that's possible.?

6. macfarms

macfarms Member

I was wondering if the valves mounted on the front are responsible in some way. I know since one cylinder pushes and one pulls something has to dictate the amount of oil going to them as the pulling one requires less volume than the pushing one.

7. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    If your box is like a Cat motor scraper, there should be rollers and wear plates on each side. If they are adjustable, you might need to do that. I've seen plenty of the Cats with the rollers worn so much that one side of the gate was dragging on the floor and sidewall of the pan.

8. macfarms

macfarms Member

With the pins out the cylinders don't travel together. I either have a bad cylinder or a flow control issue. You can tell the previous owners ran this thing a lot like this by the amount of wear. There are no visible leaks.

9. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Two cylinders on the same circuit will almost never extend or retract at the same rate. Put a load on them and they should run even.

56wrench and DB2 like this.
  10. Nige

Nige Senior Member

How about some photos so everyone can see what you are talking about.?
    You give the impression that to move the ejector in a given direction one cylinder is extending and the other is retracting.

John C. likes this.
  11. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Lmao….I read the thread title as INJECTOR.

56wrench, John C. and mg2361 like this.
  12. macfarms

macfarms Member

There is one cylinder on each side, one side the rod points forward , on the other side the rod points rearward.

13. Nige

Nige Senior Member

And which one starts moving first.? is it always the same one or does it depend on which direction the ejector is being moved.?

John C. likes this.
  14. excavator

excavator Senior Member

I worked on several Reynolds scrapers years ago. Reynolds had a habit of not always getting things welded straight, my customer bought 2 new 17E's and the ejector gate was not square with the bowl. I know we figured it out but don't remember what we did. It was structural problem, not hydraulic.

Nige and John C. like this.
  15. terex herder

terex herder Senior Member

That suggests either the cylinders are plumbed in series, or one cylinder was installed backwards. If the cylinders are indeed plumbed in series, it is possible the second cylinder was replaced with an identical cylinder to the first. This is typically wrong with a series pair. In a series pair, usually the cylinders are built so the rod end volume of the first cylinder matches the butt end volume of the second cylinder. This ensures the cylinders move in parallel.

56wrench, bccat, Nige and 1 other person like this.
  16. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

Agreed, usually in series hook-ups the farther down the series, the smaller the diameter of the cylinders. I’ve seen some on ag equipment that have 2 parallel side circuits and each side is in series. Just use a piece of string wrapped around the barrel and compare each cylinder. If they are the same diameter, and the rods are the same diameter, then they probably should be plumbed in parallel. I don’t understand why each cylinder is facing a different direction. Also, maybe there is no phasing port internally in the first cylinder in the series

17. Sportsman762

Sportsman762 Member

Looking at various 17E10.5 it appears that the ejector cylinders are indeed reversed on the sides. The left side is rod forward, and the right side is barrel forward. I am guessing that they are plumbed in series with flow going from rod to rod and barrel to barrel. If they are plumbed in series I would try bleeding the cylinders. It is a pain to bleed cylinders that are in series. If your compressing lots of air, that could cause one side to move before the other. The side that gets the pressure from the tractor would move before the other side.
    According to pull scraper parts warehouse the right and left cylinder are different part numbers.
    https://www.pspwllc.com/rey-1

DB2 likes this.
  18. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

what would happen if the cylinders were swapped side to side but with the same orientation and hose connections?

DB2 likes this.