• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Reynolds Ejector not straight

macfarms

I just got a Reynolds 17E 10.5 that doesn't slide straight ( one side is always ahead of the other) You can tell the previous owners ran it like this for a LONG time. I tried unpinning the cylinders and cycling them like the decal says but it didn't help. Is there possibly something going on in the valves on the front?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I tried unpinning the cylinders and cycling them like the decal says
When you cycled the cylinders did you happen to measure the distance each one cycled from full retracted to full extended.? If the two cylinders are of different stroke lengths or different some other way that could explain why the ejector is off-kilter.
Some photos would be good.

macfarms

When you cycled the cylinders did you happen to measure the distance each one cycled from full retracted to full extended.? If the two cylinders are of different stroke lengths or different some other way that could explain why the ejector is off-kilter.
Some photos would be good.
Cylinders are identical . The one on the left moves 4 to 6 inches before the one on the right. Even with no load

macfarms

I was wondering if the valves mounted on the front are responsible in some way. I know since one cylinder pushes and one pulls something has to dictate the amount of oil going to them as the pulling one requires less volume than the pushing one.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If your box is like a Cat motor scraper, there should be rollers and wear plates on each side. If they are adjustable, you might need to do that. I've seen plenty of the Cats with the rollers worn so much that one side of the gate was dragging on the floor and sidewall of the pan.

macfarms

With the pins out the cylinders don't travel together. I either have a bad cylinder or a flow control issue. You can tell the previous owners ran this thing a lot like this by the amount of wear. There are no visible leaks.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Two cylinders on the same circuit will almost never extend or retract at the same rate. Put a load on them and they should run even.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I know since one cylinder pushes and one pulls something has to dictate the amount of oil going to them as the pulling one requires less volume than the pushing one.
How about some photos so everyone can see what you are talking about.?
You give the impression that to move the ejector in a given direction one cylinder is extending and the other is retracting.

excavator

I worked on several Reynolds scrapers years ago. Reynolds had a habit of not always getting things welded straight, my customer bought 2 new 17E's and the ejector gate was not square with the bowl. I know we figured it out but don't remember what we did. It was structural problem, not hydraulic.

terex herder

There is one cylinder on each side, one side the rod points forward , on the other side the rod points rearward.

That suggests either the cylinders are plumbed in series, or one cylinder was installed backwards. If the cylinders are indeed plumbed in series, it is possible the second cylinder was replaced with an identical cylinder to the first. This is typically wrong with a series pair. In a series pair, usually the cylinders are built so the rod end volume of the first cylinder matches the butt end volume of the second cylinder. This ensures the cylinders move in parallel.

56wrench

Agreed, usually in series hook-ups the farther down the series, the smaller the diameter of the cylinders. I’ve seen some on ag equipment that have 2 parallel side circuits and each side is in series. Just use a piece of string wrapped around the barrel and compare each cylinder. If they are the same diameter, and the rods are the same diameter, then they probably should be plumbed in parallel. I don’t understand why each cylinder is facing a different direction. Also, maybe there is no phasing port internally in the first cylinder in the series

Sportsman762

Looking at various 17E10.5 it appears that the ejector cylinders are indeed reversed on the sides. The left side is rod forward, and the right side is barrel forward. I am guessing that they are plumbed in series with flow going from rod to rod and barrel to barrel. If they are plumbed in series I would try bleeding the cylinders. It is a pain to bleed cylinders that are in series. If your compressing lots of air, that could cause one side to move before the other. The side that gets the pressure from the tractor would move before the other side.
According to pull scraper parts warehouse the right and left cylinder are different part numbers.
https://www.pspwllc.com/rey-1

56wrench

what would happen if the cylinders were swapped side to side but with the same orientation and hose connections?

Reactions: DB2

Southernindianadirt

Looking at various 17E10.5 it appears that the ejector cylinders are indeed reversed on the sides. The left side is rod forward, and the right side is barrel forward. I am guessing that they are plumbed in series with flow going from rod to rod and barrel to barrel. If they are plumbed in series I would try bleeding the cylinders. It is a pain to bleed cylinders that are in series. If your compressing lots of air, that could cause one side to move before the other. The side that gets the pressure from the tractor would move before the other side.
According to pull scraper parts warehouse the right and left cylinder are different part numbers.
https://www.pspwllc.com/rey-1
We've got a few 17e10.5 we've had problems with them ejecting straight if I can find photos of hydraulic schematic and sync process I'll post it

but my two cents are that the air hasn't been fully purged out of the system it takes alot to completely purge the system you will have to cycle it alot.
With that being said the plate could be twisted or dragging from the rollers not being adjusted properly causing it to catch as well as making the cylinders not at the same stroke position causing it to twist at the beginning or end of the cycle.
when you hook the cylinders up make sure they are both at the end of their stroke and do not move them to align them with the plate.
If your doing everything correctly there could be an internal leak or even a line leaking on one of the cylinders causing it to twist since it relies on the fluid from the first cylinder to make the 2nd move exactly the same distance.
P.s. Now if anyone has any knowledge about the over center valves that make the gate open before moving the plate that's the new problem we are running into so information would be appreciated

aog_allen

Occupation
farmer/earthmover
The sequence valve on the tongue might be letting oil by-pass. Thats an often overlooked piece on the Reynolds.