• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Review or opinion on IHI Mini Excavators? Thinking about purchase...

MrFuso

Occupation
Network Engineer
I've been a long time lurker, but figured that it was time to ask a few questions.... I've been looking for a mini excavator for quite some time now. I will use it for lots of weird projects around our farm and do some small logging duties with it. I've been doing some research and see that IHI makes a pretty nice "no frills" machines. I like the 55,65 and 80 series. The 80 series seems a little large for most of what I'll be doing but I like the idea of the addition capacity that it would have. Would really like to know what people think that own or have run these machines.

I have found a 2006 80NX near me (28xx hours), but it looks to have seen a hard life and there were no records for it. The equipment place that is selling the machine was friendly and claims that he knew the owner... But I've heard stories like that before... Sales guy came down on price from $31,500 to $29,500... I honestly think the machine is worth less than that, but I don't know... Would like to know what others have paid for an 80NX. I will be doing some more looking... Winter time isn't the best time to get one of these things as it would mostly sit... But if I can find the right machine at the right price... Thanks for listening... Looking forward to hear what others say about IHI...

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
machinery trader.com,ironplanet.com is a good place to look for machines and compare $$$$ :my2c

Palmer78

I have a 2004 IHI 35N. It has been a great machine, and appears to be built more heavy duty than a lot of the more popular brands. I really don't know why they aren't more popular in the U.S. Maybe it's the ugly blue paint job.

MrFuso

Occupation
Network Engineer
machinery trader.com,ironplanet.com is a good place to look for machines and compare $$$$ :my2c

Thank you, yes, I've been looking over there too... Prices seems to vary wildly as well... This 80 is way too whooped for me I think... I'll have to get some pictures up... I don't think this guy will sell it any time soon, I bet he'll keep renting it out until it breaks...

MrFuso

Occupation
Network Engineer
Thank you for your response. I called IHI yesterday and Brett (I think that's what his name was) was a GREAT help! They seem like they know a lot about their product and are there to help. He told me that the 35 is one of the best selling mini's that they make... And I too asked why they are not as popular as others and he simply told me that they don't advertise much, as they don't want to spend the $$$'s on it and that they would rather keep selling by word of mouth and to the large rental houses... To be honest, if their machines last well in a "rental" environment, then it's probably good enough for a guy like me... I just need to find one that is the right price and will have the right capacities... I like the 35, I will give one a hard look for sure... But I think the 55 might be the smallest I'd want to get.

Palmer78, the paint is ugly, and even the guy I talked to at IHI admitted that! LOL! But I'm wondering, what sort of work have you put yours through and how much do you think it can lift safely? Thank you again for your responses guys!

MrFuso

Occupation
Network Engineer
20131120_162818.jpg
---
20131120_162706.jpg
(that slack on the track doesn't look right...)
---
20131120_162826.jpg
---
20131120_162803.jpg
(looks like someone messed with the aux hyd)

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I had a 35J also, bought it for 16500 and got I think 13K on trade for a larger Takeuchi. I also went to Etown, KY and met the owner of CES. Great guy, I spent a day on an 80NX. I received excellent service and support right from the factory since I did not have a dealer close. The 35J ran great, I put about 2K hours on it. They are no frills but, it digs as good or better than most others. If I had a dealer closer to facilitate trades and so forth, I would still be running them.

MrFuso

Occupation
Network Engineer
I had a 35J also, bought it for 16500 and got I think 13K on trade for a larger Takeuchi. I also went to Etown, KY and met the owner of CES. Great guy, I spent a day on an 80NX. I received excellent service and support right from the factory since I did not have a dealer close. The 35J ran great, I put about 2K hours on it. They are no frills but, it digs as good or better than most others. If I had a dealer closer to facilitate trades and so forth, I would still be running them.

Sounds good KSSS!!! 16500 sounds like a great deal! That's the thing too, the value of these machines seems like you can't beat them! I don't need something super special since it is not going to see a lot of seat time around my farm and what not... But yes, I hear ya, the people over in ETown seem great! I'd like to go down there some day to check things out, the one sales guy even said it'd be nice to meet you and do lunch. They just seem like honest people that run a business the right way and try to make a relationship with customers! I like that and sounds like you had good luck with your machine! Thank you for the response, it means a lot to find honest opinions about IHI!

Palmer78

Well I use it for a lot of the typical things you'd use a mini ex for........trenching, expanding backyards, clearing brush/small trees, digging pads, and whatever else comes up. I'm not sure how much a 35N can lift, I think it's around 1000 lbs. I have been impressed by some big rocks I've been able to pick up with it for such a small machine. I have also been very impressed with the guys in Kentucky. It seems they go out of their way to help no matter what.

MrFuso

Occupation
Network Engineer
Well I use it for a lot of the typical things you'd use a mini ex for........trenching, expanding backyards, clearing brush/small trees, digging pads, and whatever else comes up. I'm not sure how much a 35N can lift, I think it's around 1000 lbs. I have been impressed by some big rocks I've been able to pick up with it for such a small machine. I have also been very impressed with the guys in Kentucky. It seems they go out of their way to help no matter what.

Sounds good! I have a growing list of all the things that I want to do with a mini and I realize that I can rent one and try to get done as much as I can, or I can just wait till I find a good deal and then just buy it... I know I'll use it for a long time on my farm... You are correct, the guys over in E-Town seem to be top notch! The guy I talked to on the phone was really good and they seem like a good group of people. I think it is important to support a business like that... Glad your machine is working out well for you... Did you go with a canopy or cab? I sort of like the idea of heat in the winter time when I do most of my logging duties... But I like the idea of a open canopy as well... Oh well, I guess it'll come down to what I find... Thanks again for you time...

joispoi

"Sort of like the idea of heat in the winter time....." :tong When it's blowing cold and it starts raining with a little sleet thrown in for good measure, you don't "sort of" wish you could trade your rain gear and open canopy for a heated cab.....and you won't think about the money you saved by buying a machine without a cab. ;) I own both. I won't say never, but it's highly unlikely that I'd buy another open ROPS machine.

The machines with cabs cost more, but you can sell them for more when it's time to part ways with your machine. It's not a lost investment, it's just more money that you'll have tied up in the machine.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
"Sort of like the idea of heat in the winter time....." :tong When it's blowing cold and it starts raining with a little sleet thrown in for good measure, you don't "sort of" wish you could trade your rain gear and open canopy for a heated cab.....and you won't think about the money you saved by buying a machine without a cab. ;) I own both. I won't say never, but it's highly unlikely that I'd buy another open ROPS machine.

The machines with cabs cost more, but you can sell them for more when it's time to part ways with your machine. It's not a lost investment, it's just more money that you'll have tied up in the machine.

Where I am at, I can say that I would not be without a cab and heat. I used to buy the open ROPS machines, than you get older and smarter, start penciling it out and you realize that the difference between the purchase price and the trade or sale price is what the cab really costs, which is very little. However the increased comfort level is priceless.

74dodge

I was browsing on machinery trader last night and found a couple IHI's well within what your looking to spend and even saw a few hitachi's and komatsu's in the same price range aslong as your willing to travel a bit to find the right machine there's lots of good deals on there.

MrFuso

Occupation
Network Engineer

Good call on the cab option... I'll have to see what I can find, but yeah if the price isn't too much more, I'll take a hard look at a mini with a cab... When I do logging in the fields I usually wait for the ground to get good and frozen and then head out on a sunny day that is above freezing if possible... Last year was actually good cutting weather! Thanks for the solid input joispoi!

MrFuso

Occupation
Network Engineer
I was browsing on machinery trader last night and found a couple IHI's well within what your looking to spend and even saw a few hitachi's and komatsu's in the same price range aslong as your willing to travel a bit to find the right machine there's lots of good deals on there.

I too keep looking on that site... Right now with the holidays I don't have any travel time (or much free time at all honestly) but I will keep looking. I found a dealer that IHI reccomends I check out to test machines. I called them and they seem pretty decent so I'm going to head over there some time soon (I hope) to run a few machines... If I can get a good deal on a 80NX I'll think hard about it... I don't like all that weight to transport around since I don't think my dump truck can do it... But... If I find a 55 I think I might jump on that... I'll have to wait and see and keep looking on the website to get prices... Thanks for your input sir!

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have not run the IHI 65NX but I like the specs of that machine. Looks on paper to have great bucket breakout and reach, but without the weight (and likely lift capacity) of the 80 sized machine.

JD8875

I have an 03 30NX zero swing I bought 3 years ago from a rental shop. It had 1200 hours and few scratches on it. I paid 10k cash.I love it and only wish it were bigger with a cab and a/c. Its been a great machine that sips fuel and has needed nothing. I have considered their CTL when it's time for a new loader.

Good luck
John

maddog

I have a 35J, had for a few years now, I have had NO issue's with it except the glow plug box located in the right arm rest area. I've had good luck rigging it to make it work correct but I do need to buy a new one. For a little machine it is a work horse and doesn't mind getting filthy :D I've been very pleased with it.

MrFuso

Occupation
Network Engineer
Thanks for all the replies guys! I hope I can find a good deal on one... I know I might have to wait, but then pull the trigger once I see the right machine within distance of where I live... I've seen some good deals, but not to where I want to drive for 2 days or fly to check it out... I can hold out a little longer...

MrFuso

Occupation
Network Engineer
I have an 03 30NX zero swing I bought 3 years ago from a rental shop. It had 1200 hours and few scratches on it. I paid 10k cash.I love it and only wish it were bigger with a cab and a/c. Its been a great machine that sips fuel and has needed nothing. I have considered their CTL when it's time for a new loader.

Good luck
John

John, this might be a stupid question, but when you bought it from the rental place, did they have good records to hand over? Did it come with a user manual or service manual? I really think that rental units get a bad rep, but if they are maintained properly and not super abused, they can be a great deal!