• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Resurrection of a Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just for kicks did the OP ever give the full S/N for machine? All I recall seeing was " A loaded 2016 299D2 XHP:"

A full S/N would very likely let one see the "As Shipped" information which can be very helpful when looking on SIS for information. Especially with a machine like this that can be set up for untold different types of work.

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
It seems to me, like he's got a pretty good handle on the situation..??

Except for his description of where he found it: "'....in its native habitat, a heavy equipment junkyard in the farthest, poorest regions of the US. (Hoboken, GA)" and then admits to planning for a job interview in Atlanta (for our other-nation members, Atlanta is also in Georgia). But I wish him well on all his endeavors.

Neill
Savannah, GA

Quantum

Is anyone else here thinking this might be another "D6c cat loss of oil pressure" thread? I hope not but seems to be way too much enthusiasm to order parts and cut things apart before getting hold of a parts manual and service manual for my liking!

If I was looking at spending that much money upfront with the dealer I would be asking for a SIS account even if only getting access to information on the one machine, Or failing that go to Nige's link to down load the manuals for the machine.
Yeah, see the Peanut Gallery is why you don't see more threads like this. Why do you think I'm posting here? To ask for help? To solicit your insults? No. It's to bring y'all along on a complex project as a community where maybe you could make some constructive input sometimes. We are supposed to be trying to have a civilization here. Yes, I know you can't do a project like this, but you'd best not presume that I can't.

You don't know me, and I am not like you.

I could have posted alot more detail today but I'm now scaling this back drastically to reduce my attack surface. Some of you are your own worst enemy.

l5rTrLi.jpg

And no, the Tesla is not a junker. I'm in the process of hacking it. Skeptical? Alrighty then.

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Sorry if I wrote something you did not like but as someone who has been working on heavy equipment for 45 years I thought my thoughts on how to proceed might be helpful, guess not. And yes that picture of the old Mack is one of the projects I worked on over the years. Took it from something with trees growing up through it to the point it was winning awards in car shows and driving in parades, but what do I know!

Last edited:

Quantum

Indeed, what do you know. Doing something for 45 years doesn't necessarily mean that you've learned anything. Usually the opposite in fact.

Last edited:

hosspuller

Quantum … You might consider the wisdom of the ages...

Knowledge resides in many places. Mostly unknown to others.

I would caution you on the cribbing of your machine. From the pic, Looks to be a good shove toward the already tilted base timber might collapse it to the side. I like log cabin style rather than stack. Requires more timber but makes for a wider base for stability.

hvy 1ton

It starting to seem like your here to cause problems. I don't know how you can claim to know what your doing after spending $16K on parts and not buying a service manual.

Tinkerer

From what i'm reading Quantum is very advanced in his knowledge in regards to what he is doing. Besides it is his money he is spending
I hope he keeps posting his progress. It will be interesting to read what he runs into until it is up and running.

ih100

Indeed, what do you know. Doing something for 45 years doesn't necessarily mean that you've learned anything. Usually the opposite in fact.

Is this an example of the wisdom of youth? Kshansen has been round several blocks over his working life. You may have posted this tongue-in-cheek, but it comes across as plain arrogant. Keep posting, let the work back up the words if you're as capable as you say you are. I hope you're a better engineer than cribbing stacker.

Quantum

hosspuller, yes the starboard side of my cribbing went wonkey when I was pulling on the engine. But it's not as unstable as it looks. the base 2x6's are screwed together to make a very strong laminate, and the 4x4s on that are also screwed. But the top 4x4 is not screwed as, at the last minute when it was being craned I found that the machine wasn't high enough off the ground so I added that last stack. Pushing on it, it is quite sturdy. However I do have the 1,400lb lift-arms held 3' up by one 4x4. If that ever comes out it could cut me in half. But, that's the breaks. Too bad for me. Let me worry about it.

Tinkerer, it appears that you are one of the few good judges of character here. I can see about two others. Have I ever done this before? No, but I am a very good engineer. My day job is enterprise systems security consulting (nationwide) but I've done many other things on my own with no help, including developing apartments and rebuilding that Tesla from a bad front-ender. The whole idea of this loader is to regrade two properties I have coming up for permitting 5 houses each.

I had intended to contribute here for the fun of all, but some seem to always make a place unsafe for the Makers and Doers. And I will merrily slap them for fun and not share. it takes ten times the effort to move forward, as to sit on yer red arse, growling like pervs.

Is this an example of the wisdom of youth? Kshansen has been round several blocks over his working life. You may have posted this tongue-in-cheek, but it comes across as plain arrogant. Keep posting, let the work back up the words if you're as capable as you say you are. I hope you're a better engineer than cribbing stacker.
Request denied.

And, I've just turned 64 a week ago, lol.

Last edited:

ih100

There's a lot of makers and doers on here, guys who have been there and back on equipment but manage to convey this without ramming down your throat how clever they are, or how very good an engineer they are. They've contributed on here for years without controversy. They're the guys I continue to learn from even after over 40 years around equipment and wish I worked with on a daily basis.

There are also the guys who get the hump in short order with anyone who doesn't agree with them, or have a superiority complex, and don't stick around too long.

Quantum

I would caution you on the cribbing of your machine. From the pic, Looks to be a good shove toward the already tilted base timber might collapse it to the side. I like log cabin style rather than stack. Requires more timber but makes for a wider base for stability.
It starting to seem like your here to cause problems. I don't know how you can claim to know what your doing after spending $16K on parts and not buying a service manual.
Anyone else notice that these three pricks still managed to find fault, when I'd posted NO descriptions and only one picture? And specifically stated that I am reducing my attack surface?

They went to the trouble of finding fault even in these circumstances, because they reflexively rebel against any sign of thinking. I call this type, "Proudly Uneducated".

I contribute to the communities which deserve it, so we can all learn. I never never contribute to hostile forums where Mods do not control this toxic behavior.

Include me Out.

crane operator

I'm sorry you got a bad impression of these guys. I've found nothing but help on this forum, and really enjoy reading posts from the people that you seem to have the most problems with. Most of us work on equipment all the time, so what your doing isn't "rocket science" to most these guys. They've worked on far bigger stuff, probably in worse shape.

Not too many would be willing to tackle this, because they know its going to be a ton of work, and the $ numbers don't usually work. You state that you want a "big boy toy", well - most of us are just trying to make $ with our machines, so we take a little different view. The numbers might work for a hobbiest, but they don't work for someone that needs to make $ on it.

had to run around this week trying to find open-end wrenches that are big enough for these hose connections. I have a good collection of tools but nothing this large. I finally found all wrench sizes except the biggest -- 42mm (1 11/16"), so I'm just using my big pipe wrench for those. The connections are very tight, but when I overcome its breaking strength, *SNAP* it then unscrews easily.

When I read that- I thought " here we go". Most guys that tackle a project like this, have some of the right tools and equipment. Not everything, but some stuff. Not that you can't take in a idler with a scissor jack from your toyota's trunk, but it wouldn't be what most of us would use. And I somewhat doubt you " overcame the breaking strength" of the hose fittings. Breaking strength has a little different meaning to most of us.

It's just kind of obvious from the posts you've made, that you don't do this everyday, a lot of these guys do. No one minds watching through pictures, and we all like to throw some things out, but if you think that any of these posts are out of line and moderators should step in, maybe its you that's kind of sensitive.

I thought the cribbing looked a little dodgy myself, and I usually think "if I don't say something, and he has that thing land on him, I won't sleep, so I'm just going to point it out." I don't think they're trying to say your a idiot, they're just trying to sleep well knowing they've said something.

I think you are missing out on a great resource here, Nige and khansen in particular, have both devoted lots of time to people with problems, with little thanks.

Sorry you didn't get what you were looking for in the forum. I don't think anyone was trying to "run the new guy" off- I think they were really trying to help. Maybe a hobby farmer site/ forum would be a better fit. Or just facebook it and make it so no one can comment on it. You can be your own moderator.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I also like the enthusiasm, but was hoping the OP would go into it with eyes wide open that no boss anywhere would want his talented mechanics rebuilding a burnt machine like this, it just does not pencil out. That is why it was in a junk yard.

The guy who needs a machine like this and can't afford a new one is going to go out and buy a used running one. Experience says it would be cheaper than the time and materials to rebuild and that is why the skepticism from here. A great number of guys on here could do this project if they wanted to but it is just not normally economical. Not that they are being lazy by letting these lay in junkyards. There was a thread about fires in these type machines a few weeks back.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I contribute to the communities which deserve it, so we can all learn. I never never contribute to hostile forums where Mods do not control this toxic behaviour
And there was me just about to contact the mods with a request for you to tone down your aggressive responses to people who were only trying to help you in your endeavours.......... "To see ourselves as others see us" is the phrase that came to my mind.
Include me Out.
I'm surprised you could even get through the door with a head that big ...........

And just for sh1ts & giggles I'll put my mechanical engineering degree (try Googling IMechE and see where it takes you) and over 40 years working in the field of heavy equipment maintenance against whatever you've got. Draw when you're ready pardner ...........

Vetech63

Well, don't take offense but for me its the fact that a project like this is pure insanity to me. I cant even fathom the expense of parts and labor a job like this will entail. The unseen damage on these fire jobs raises the costs even further. Hell, I have 35 years of experience and am still doing it, and have even been involved with machines like this. My experience with them tells me to RUN! ……………..but hey, its your money and time! Please feel free to prove everyone wrong in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.