• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

residential demolition packages

Excavator759

Occupation
excavator, demolition, site work contractor
there are a ton of demolition packages going out for bid around here but people are only getting $900-$2000 dollars a house? i know dumping fees are pretty cheap here but still if you complete one house a day how can you make any money??? I came way down on my prices to get some iron moving but geeez!

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
rates demolition

there are a ton of demolition packages going out for bid around here but people are only getting $900-$2000 dollars a house? i know dumping fees are pretty cheap here but still if you complete one house a day how can you make any money??? I came way down on my prices to get some iron moving but geeez!
Dont work for nothing, you can work for near nothing with the bad economy but you have got to make a little profit. If I can just keep my guys working, thats great. I can worry about the wear and tear on the machines later I hope
(when it turns around)
If the dumping fee was free, there is no way you can demo a house and haul it away for $900. You might could break even at this rate, if the dump site was real real close. But if you cut a tire, you just went behind. If you are demoing a small house and you have a big dump trailer, you can make a few bucks at $2000, if the dumping fee is almost free.
There are a lot of people out there that are working for nothing, just to get a cash flow. We charge $55 per hr for out tandem dump trucks and some guys are running for $40 per hr, they are going behind fast and they will find out real quick when something breaks
We are all working cheaper than we should and hoping things will turn around, so Good Luck to all of us

Wolf

You can say that again . . .

We are all working cheaper than we should and hoping things will turn around, so Good Luck to all of us

Turbo21835

Its the same story no matter where you go when it comes to these small home demolitions. Any yocal with a backhoe and dump truck bids it. They all work dirt cheap. To make things worse around here, the local Habitat For Humanity has gotten into the act of wrecking houses. They have a grant to employ folks that are just out of prison, to help teach them a trade i guess. So they dont have to make a payroll, they dont have any equipment costs, and they wreck for the cost of 3-4 dumpsters. They salvage anything they deem of value, and sell it at their Restore.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
there are a ton of demolition packages going out for bid around here but people are only getting $900-$2000 dollars a house?

What's the average size house being demo'd? My numbers for an average 2000SF house (crawlspace or slab), hauling and dumps fees are $2-3k and I am part owner of the roll-offs, the gate rate is $18 per ton and we dump inert for a flat $30, if I don't haul it elsewhere for free. There is no way they can do the job - forget about profit.

Look on the bright side, there is going to be a lot of work out there when the Economy turns around fixing all the shoddy, underbid work (not just this demo in question) that has been going around the last couple of years. When someone wants to build on that $900 demo lot and finds the house buried, it's gonna cost a whole lot more to dig it out and re-fill it than a properly done demo in the first place.:cool2 You get what you pay for...

Wolf

What's the average size house being demo'd? My numbers for an average 2000SF house (crawlspace or slab), hauling and dumps fees are $2-3k and I am part owner of the roll-offs, the gate rate is $18 per ton and we dump inert for a flat $30, if I don't haul it elsewhere for free. There is no way they can do the job - forget about profit.

Look on the bright side, there is going to be a lot of work out there when the Economy turns around fixing all the shoddy, underbid work (not just this demo in question) that has been going around the last couple of years. When someone wants to build on that $900 demo lot and finds the house buried, it's gonna cost a whole lot more to dig it out and re-fill it than a properly done demo in the first place.:cool2 You get what you pay for...

You got that right man. You get what you pay for.

Even still, your dump costs seem incredibly cheap. In urban areas, the dump fees are sky high, making any of this pricing totally unrealistic. There is nowhere to dump for free out here.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Even still, your dump costs seem incredibly cheap. In urban areas, the dump fees are sky high, making any of this pricing totally unrealistic. There is nowhere to dump for free out here.

C&D is $18-26 per ton, depending on which of the 10 or so landfills you are going to. $30-50 per load for clean inert - block, brick, concrete, cured asphalt, dirt, rock, etc. There are also free places to dump clean inert, to be used as fill. Birmingham metro area is small with around 1M people and the landfill business is pretty competitive.

Excavator759

Occupation
The house size varies you might have a couple 1200sf and a 2500sf in the package.The dumping fees here are $10.30tn and I haul all the brick block and concrete back to the yard for crushing. Some of the big roll off companies went out and bought excavators and are killing us on these prices because they are dumping cheaper. Its really funny though cause every couple months you will see them in the paper where they rolled the excavator or dropped a chimney on the machine! I just bid a 4 house package for $7700.00 and didnt get it. Hopefully these idiots will weed themselves out soon!! There is 3 years of work for residential demolition in the surrounding cities, if the prices were right it could really cet some people moving. In one city they have set prices per house and a contractor pool they pick out of. you either take it or leave it. I was a couple days late on getting on the list!::Banghead

rino1494

I did 4 house demo's this yr for a total of $75,000. Fortunately, it is for the local nuke plant that is expanding. We made some good money on them. Last one was a 1,400 sq. ft. ranch. Dump fees cost me $2,000 and we charged them $20,000. Gotta love jobs like those.

I deal with a landfill that is about 2hrs from me. They bring in their 100yd walking floor trailers and they watch me load them and drive away. Typical loading and tarping time is 1hr. Way faster and cheaper than dumpsters. They charge around $55/ton and all I have to do is load it. I'll never use a dumpster again, unless I am on a tight lot.

Wolf

I did 4 house demo's this yr for a total of $75,000. Fortunately, it is for the local nuke plant that is expanding. We made some good money on them. Last one was a 1,400 sq. ft. ranch. Dump fees cost me $2,000 and we charged them $20,000. Gotta love jobs like those.

I deal with a landfill that is about 2hrs from me. They bring in their 100yd walking floor trailers and they watch me load them and drive away. Typical loading and tarping time is 1hr. Way faster and cheaper than dumpsters. They charge around $55/ton and all I have to do is load it. I'll never use a dumpster again, unless I am on a tight lot.

Sounds like you are making a killing in the demo field. I am so happy to hear that you are doing well in the wrecking business. Keep up the good work, man. Got any pictures of those demo jobs?

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
yup walking floors is where its at...if you got the room!

Turbo21835

Walking floors, a true work of art, but they never held up for us at MCM. We ended up taking that few that we had, and plating the floor with sheet steel, and making them drag out trailers, that usually got unloaded by material handlers at scrap yards.

Our best performing trailers were the pushouts, which basically unload like a like a cat scraper unloads.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Turbo, was the fact they didn't hold up due to the nature of heavy industrial material being loaded into them or they are just not really made for demo debris? I would have reservations about loading demo into them myself, although I don't have any experience with them. I loaded a 100 yard push-out on one job, there is a thread about it, but I wasn't on the dumping end to see it operate. They really speed a job up compared to 30 yard cans.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Around here dumping fees are about $36.00 ti $38.00 per ton plus a charge for the dumpster which includes pick up and delivery. That adds another $100.00 to $150.00 a load to it depending upon the distance from the land fill. Add a track hoe for a day at $125.00 to $140.00 an hour depending on the size of the machine and you don't come any where near covering costs.

Now the basement must be filled, the septic and well abandoned if the site has them or the public sewer and water connections terminated.

Better get close to six grand for a job like this if you are going to stay afloat in the demo business.
around here

clansing1

We purchased a 36' Freuhauf Full framed steel end dump for $6200 last year. It works great for the longer hauls to the landfills and for hauling scrap metal. Added an automatic tarp for about $2200. The box was in great shape as it was used to haul dead animals. The frame need some work, but we are taking care of that this winter. We pull it with a Freightliner cab over semi which works great for small jobs that are hard to get to, like going down alleys in larger cities, etc.

What does a good used walking floor trailer cost? Is that an alumiunum box and floor? Thanks in advance.

Excavator759

Occupation
a truck repair and slavage yard has a couple decent to good shape walking floors here for $8000 to $12,000. i thought that was a good price but i really havent looked around much. i think i am going to find a 40yd or larger aluminum dump trailer.