• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Required tool lists

JD955SC

I'm looking at moving into a field truck within the next couple of years- I currently work in the shop at a Cat dealer.

At this point I have about a year and a half of experience and am still building my tool collection. Right now I have the basics fairly well covered but I wanted to get a required tooling list for a field mechanic (I have heard that other dealers have them, we just don't) so I have an idea of what gaps I need to fill over the next few years. Currently I buy on an as needed basis and what I anticipate needing but it would be nice to have a check off list of stuff to keep an eye out for that I wouldn't otherwise think of at this stage in my career

Anybody have any lists to share from their shops?

ship660

This is an older required list for the Cat Technician program. I'm sure you have most if not all on the list. Generally your tool crib should supply any special tools required for the job you need to do. These are all Cat tool numbers

Fall 2007-08 CAT Dealer Service Technician Tool List

114TMPB ¼ DR SET

TMM4 SOCKET

TMM5 SOCKET

TMXK4 EXTENSION

207FSU S/FLEX SET

211FSY S/HEX SET

313TWYA 3/8” -1-1/8” Shallow Impact Skts

F4LB SPEEDER

FXK3 EXTENSION

FXK6 EXTENSION

F081 SOCKET

F101 SOCKET

GSAF1E ADAPTOR

A2A ADAPTOR

314GTWYA S/HEX SET

S936 RATCHET

SN15B BREAKER BAR

SXK5 EXTENSION

SXK11 EXTENSION

SOEX711 WRENCH SET

OEX180B WRENCH

OEX240B WRENCH

VO1618B WRENCH

PPC714B PUNCH

PPC812B CHISEL

PPC912B PUNCH

PPC905B PUNCH

1658C PINCH BAR

SHD2R SCREWDRIVER

SHD4R SCREWDRIVER

SHD6R SCREWDRIVER

SDD8 SCREWDRIVER

SDDP21 SCREWDRIVER

SSDEP101B SCREWDRIVER

911BCP PLIERS STORK

87CF DIAGONAL CUTTER

VP10R VISE GRIP

47ACP PLIERS

91ACP PLIERS

BPN12B HAMMER

HBFE32 32OZ HAMMER

PK52 SCRAPER

FB335 FEELER GAUGE

HS18A HACKSAW

RXFS2432B WRENCH

AWEF9K HEX WRENCH SET

OSHM713 WRENCH SET

OEXM6B WRENCH

212FMY D/HEX SET

212SFMY D/HEX SET

323SWMY D/HEX SET

313SMYA ½” SOCKET SET

SM25 SOCKET

SM26 SOCKET

207EFAMY HEX DRIVE SET

XT7100 ½” Dr. Impact

SAM12E HEX DRIVER

SAM14E HEX DRIVER

SAM17E HEX DRIVER

AWMEF7K HEX WRENCH SET

AW1015DHK HEX WRENCH SET

AWM110DK HEX WRENCH SET

AWML1.5D HEX WRENCH

212EFTXY TORX DRIVE SET

313TSYA S/HEX SET

3ASHA HOOK TOOL

GA353B MECH FINGER

QD3250 ½” Dr. Torque Wrench

KRA2055 CHEST

KRA2007 ROLL CABINET

7001803 Fluke 87 Multimeter (NAPA)

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If you can get hold of a Cat Tool Guide either in paper or pdf format check out the differences between a Shopman's tool set and a Serviceman's ditto. Basically that's the recommended basic upgrade in hand tools when moving from a service shop to field work.

JD955SC

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I have everything and more listed by Ship660 already.

If you can get hold of a Cat Tool Guide either in paper or pdf format check out the differences between a Shopman's tool set and a Serviceman's ditto. Basically that's the recommended basic upgrade in hand tools when moving from a service shop to field work.

Appreciate it I will take a look at the Tool Guide when I get to work tomorrow we have a paper copy of it in the service office.

Generally your tool crib should supply any special tools required for the job you need to do

Yep, they supply all the stuff like engine/machine specific tool kits , slide sledges, torch, welder, floor jack for belly pans, diagnostic tools and so on. Air, hand, electric tools are all on me. As I spend more time with the field guys I am trying to pay attention to how their trucks are set up and what tooling they recommend. I know I have to get stuff like a 3/4 drive impact and sockets (supplied in the tool crib for us shop guys), some hydraulic guages, timing pins, and some odds and ends like that that I currently borrow from my shop foreman but I do have a couple of years to get all set up with that.

catfixer

I would't buy any hydraulic gauges. I didn't have to at gregory poole, and I'm pretty sure my buddy who's a field tech at blanchard (where I'm assuming you are) didn't have to buy his. Timing pins as well. thats a specialty tool. my handiest thing on my service truck is my little 1/4 ton come along from harbor freight. I've used it for everything from putting valves in graders to helping wrap skid loader tracks. I also keep a few different sizes of bottle jacks on the truck. they are relatively cheap and have a multitude of uses. Just talk to some of your field guys, if you ask nicely they might let you look in their compartments to see what they have a accumulated. It varies depending on your territory and specialty.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
my handiest thing on my service truck is my little 1/4 ton come along from harbor freight. I've used it for everything from putting valves in graders to helping wrap skid loader tracks.

This is the one I had. Very handy little tool almost better than having someone helping you as it won't get tired and drop something at the wrong time!

http://https://www.cmworks.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id=3026

I thought we got them through Graingers but don't see them listed there but plenty of places should sell them.

That and a couple good light duty ratchet straps come in very handy holding things while working.