• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Repowerguy's crane repower

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
IMG_0554.JPG Follow along ladies and gentlemen for my latest (Mis)adventure as I repower a Drott carry deck. I will take a dead Case gas motor out and fabricobble a Perkins 4.203 diesel in its place. This won't be fast as this is a side job, but please be patient with me as we move along.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
fabricobble. ANYTHING using that term is bound to be good. Have done some of that myself although at the time I wasn't aware of the proper term for said work! Keep us posted.

crane operator

Cranes, bubble gum, duct tape and baling wire? Or a more formal job of bondo, jb weld and big hammer work? Either way, I'm in for the show also...:)

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Love that term! "fabricobble" might have to remember that and use it on other sites, like those where people like to take a perfectly good handling motorcycle and replace rear suspension with a ridged frame and then remove front brake to make it look even "cooler"!

Years back at the quarry we had a Drott 85RM2 CarryDeck 1978 vintage. One of the handiest machines next to a small fork truck. It had the same Case engine as the skidsteers we had I believe a 188D. We did pull the engine out and rebuild it. As I recall it was a tight fit to say the least! To pick the engine I made a lifting bracket out of say a piece of 2 inch angle iron. Two holes that used the valve cover bolts to attach and three holes for a clevis to allow us to find the balance point. Last I knew that tool was still hanging on the peg board in the shop.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I plan using the old LeBlond lathe and the drill press, Idealarc too!
BTW Crane Op, I asked the customer if he wanted a 3-53, he said just use the Perkins he had!

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
This guy is a good friend of mine, kshansen. He is a 4 cycle guy only. He has a yard truck with a 6-71 that did the idle roll, that made me so crazy that I finally went out with a wrench and screwdriver and ran the buffer screw in till it quit hunting. He really doesn't know beans from apple butter about screamtroits.
If I mess up and do a good job on this, I'll probably have to do a Hyster Karry Krane next.

Dickjr.

If you need any fabricoble practice , I can send you a 943 loader and a 4BT this winter. I'm ready for pictures of this , lots of before during and after.

rwoody

Occupation
Heavy Repair/Sales/Military Surplus
awesome following as i have done a 4045 Deere in one just need a lathe and some good measuring tools and a want too!!!!!!

lantraxco

I got popcorn going to watch the show with. Carry crane is no place for a leaky, noisy Detroit, they never get wound up and pulling to make the engine hot, poor old 3-53 would be slobbering everywhere and foggin' skeeters.... I would pick the Deere or 4BT over a perky, but they're not bad for a limey built motor... never could stand all the fine threads in cast iron though, truly annoying.....

kshansen

Occupation
I got popcorn going to watch the show with. Carry crane is no place for a leaky, noisy Detroit, they never get wound up and pulling to make the engine hot, poor old 3-53 would be slobbering everywhere and foggin' skeeters..

Hate to say it but do agree a 3-53 would not like the putt putt work of a carry-deck.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I read often about Perkins puking, but in the 70s we put thousands of hours on them in the old C6 cable Tree Farmers. We always warmed them aluminum engines with hot water when below about 20 above and never, never used ether in them. I look forward to this fabricoble.

kshansen

Occupation
I read often about Perkins puking, but in the 70s we put thousands of hours on them in the old C6 cable Tree Farmers. We always warmed them aluminum engines with hot water when below about 20 above and never, never used ether in them. I look forward to this fabricoble.
Forget what model Perkins it was but Cat used it in I believe certain skidsteers that had a tendency of breaking a chunk out of the oil pump and causing major destruction.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Forget what model Perkins it was but Cat used it in I believe certain skidsteers that had a tendency of breaking a chunk out of the oil pump and causing major destruction.

That's what I thought. The newer skid steer engines must have been a whole different animal. I thought I read somewhere that Cat sold Perkins off again. Seems to be a pattern, buying companies for the technology, keeping them for 10 years or so and then sell them off. They did the same with ASV to get the track patents.

kshansen

Occupation
That's what I thought. The newer skid steer engines must have been a whole different animal. I thought I read somewhere that Cat sold Perkins off again. Seems to be a pattern, buying companies for the technology, keeping them for 10 years or so and then sell them off. They did the same with ASV to get the track patents.
Here's a link to the thread on the Perkins engine failures in Cat skidsteers:
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/another-perkins-pukes.21592/

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0577.JPG Well here she is with the sheet metal off. Dad couldn't wait on me so he started to strip it down. I know this isn't much, but I've been working a lot of OT and the fellow it's for isn't in a hurry for it.
Hopefully I'll get the Case motor out and start the Perkins grafting process soon.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
C5B4233A-0A59-40B0-BC08-425C6A92BA2A.jpeg 01C50D43-2678-4CDF-9689-5F918321A4FB.jpeg 28C1D3F6-6DC9-4EF1-8837-CA7488D15750.jpeg Well it’s been far too long and I finally have a few free hours to do some of my side work that’s been piling up. The old Case is out and I’m waiting on the Perkins to be delivered!

Welder Dave

The Perkins 4-203 wasn't a bad engine. It was a 4 cylinder version of the 3-152 which is arguably the best engine made in it's HP range. The 4-203 was used in the MF165 tractor and several industrial models. If I recall it didn't have a balance gear and vibrated too much in the early MF255 tractors. The new 4-236 engine in later MF255/265 didn't vibrate and was used in hundreds of applications. It was 2/3 of 6-354 that was also an extremely popular and very fuel efficient engine.