1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Replacing Universal male mounting plate help needed.

Discussion in 'Mini Skid Steers' started by VOL427, Jul 2, 2012.

1. VOL427

VOL427 Member

I have a 2006 Pro Trax (Boxer 427W) and have broken the mounting point for the tilt cylinder on the universal mounting plate. It's cast iron and can't be repaired. Do I have to replace it with one from Boxer or will other makes fit? Is there one made of steel instead of cast metal? Can anyone recommend aftermarket suppliers for Boxer parts?

2. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Are you saying the cylinder is broken or the mounting plate?

3. VOL427

VOL427 Member

The mounting plate attachment point.

4. VOL427

VOL427 Member

The cylinder is fine. The weak point is the plate being cast iron, that's why I would like to find a steel plate.

5. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Are you talking about this thing? I have to admit, I know nothing about a Boxer, but I would be amazed if this assembly was cast iron.

Boxer 427 coupler.png

6. VOL427

VOL427 Member

That's it. The top center mount is what split in half. I took it to a machine shop where the owner showed me it was cast iron and not steel,( by the lenght and type of sparks a grinder causes). He said he could weld it, but because it is a high stress point believed it wouldn't hold up and he would be taking my money.

7. icestationzebra

icestationzebra Senior Member

Even though the coupling interface is "universal" the rest is specific to the machine model. OEM's tweak the various mounting points to account for clearance, change lift capacity, etc. But it would be a good starting point. Find something close then have the machine shop mimic the mounts on the cast version.

ISZ

8. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    I hear ya. Again, I know nothing about those machines, would wager you have to go OEM for replacement. But then, why did it break in the first place? The questions that drive you nuts.

9. VOL427

VOL427 Member

The diagram you show looks like it came from the parts manual I have. It broke because I was stupid and was trying to do more than the machine was capable of, so now I must pay for my stupidity. Thanks for the help.

10. lumberjack

lumberjack Senior Member

PM sent.

11. lumberjack

lumberjack Senior Member

Did you grease the tilt pin? That's been mentioned before as a mode of failure.

12. stock

stock Senior Member

We have moved on and now were lost....
    Boxer 427 coupler a.png

A good machine shop would surely replace the damaged piece of course at what price and would it be economically advantageous to have it done?

13. VOL427

VOL427 Member

Thanks to all that responded. I ordered a new plate from Boxer and they gave me a real good price after I had compared to serveral places. Could not find any one made of steel, but have learned an expensive lesson to not push its limitations. Thanks again