• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Replacing Track Pins

mitch504

I went back and added a little more, I hit "post reply" when I meant to hit "space".
Don't worry, there is no doubt I am a better mechanic than typist. (Course, that doesn't prove I can do more than tell which end of the wrench goes where.) I hope to learn to type with 2 fingers soon.

Bluox

I doubt that there's anything odd about our pins, just our newbie ignorance on these matters! :) Pic's to follow when we are next able to get onsite and fix the tracks (a few weeks from now ).

Another related question: If they are not structurally essential, how concerned should we be about 'lose' pads? (the four bolts securing the pad to the link being loose). We seem to have a lot ..:-(.

JCB,
You are right about your loose pad,they are the main cause of broken pins.The bad news is this is a sign of worn out tracks.If you replace the bolts and clean out between the pads and rails you will get by for a time.
bob

JCB814

We need to get about 100hrs out of it, then the main job is over. So it is 'make do and mend' for the old girl for the moment. No doubt we are storing up troubles for the future, just need to give ourselves the best chance we can for the next 100hrs or so .. after that we can look at some serious overhauling :). So it's looking like we will replace all the pad bolts that need it. The distances traveled over the next 100hrs will be absolutely minimal. The whole undercarriage will be inspected now.

When we were looking at the failed track we noticed that the top idler needs new bearings. But as we were up to our necks in mud at the time we ignored it; just needed to get back to the yard! One of the bottom track rollers is loose too, so these will all need tightening / replacement bolts - we took a quick look at this and the track roller bolts go into the 'H' box section of the undercarriage … can we access these somehow ? (!!) ...

tctractors

Mr JCB814, could I ask how things have turned out with your mullered track groups, the chain is standard D4 stuff it has no caps or owt' stuck to the pins, if its still causing you troubles I have the toys to sort your dilema if you have the coins? your top roller needs replacing not bearings, the bottom rollers are simple enough to swap out, I sold 2 Service books the other week to the Farmer from Ross that has 1 of these chariots, their is a few of these things still working around my area but I dont get any work off them as the Farm Boys play with them.

JCB814

Hi tctractors, We away from the machine at the moment so am pulling together parts for the repairs. Need to buy in a bucket of track bolts, top roller and bottom roller bolts. Re the pin: I am given to understand that it would be easier for us to replace the busted pin with another Master Pin as this will be easier to replace, we still have to get the broken pin (it's head) out and the new Master Pin in but at this second don't have any Oxy/Acet. or Propane to heat the chain links so I am not sure we can do it without.

We need to clean off the undercarriage (we work in heavy wet clay) and survey the whole lot too.

We do have coins :) What would it cost to get you up to Tadcaster and sort the pin out? (I take it you have a press?) :) PM me?

tctractors

The 2 service books I had the "Farm Boy" copped, but there is little to marvel at on the 800 series excavators they are fairly simple excavators, I can press near any pin and I can easily deal with your wayward mount, I will study Tadcaster and back and catch you with a P.M. tctractors