• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Replacing Operators with Technology

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Seems like its only a matter of time for very repetitive tasks. They were already talking about automating underground coal mining when I was still in the mines 8 years ago. There is alot of push for it due to the high labor costs and the expense of injuries. There are some things that can never be done by automation but those jobs are dwindling.

td25c

I spotted an article in a farm magazine not to long ago on the subject .

https://www.agriculture.com/technology/robotics/3-obstacles-ahead-for-autonomous-farm-equipment

We set some chemical tanks at a factory , finished up and plant manager gave us the tour while they were running product " Clorox " .

https://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-pet-urine-remover/#unscented
A lot of automation but still some line workers keeping an eye on the operation and manual tasks .

Manager said they weigh the cost of automation with people . Some times people are more cost effective .

Myself .... I aint gonna worry until robots start drinking beer .:D

AzIron

I was 10 years old when my dad took me to cats mine at tanaja hills south of Tucson everything from dozes to haul trucks was automated one of the main reasons they have not really started to sell it is the liability of a driverless machine that was almost 20 years ago

5 years ago deere had 3 tractors in a demo no e had an operator again the head engineer said liability prevents the sale

A lady was killed in Scottsdale az 3 months ago while j walking by an autonomous uber there was a driver in the car but the car nor the driver saw her till it was to late a week later the pilot program that had over 20 cars was cancelled in az

Until labor cost makes the tech profitable enough to outweigh the lawsuit cost most things wont change

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
100 of us were at Cat in Peoria for 4 days a couple of weeks ago. Remote control is available on nearly all machines from skid steers to D-11s. Autonomous trucks are in use already in some open pit mines around the world. It is here and my bet is it will be the standard in large mining operations soon. I don't think that the artificial intelligence is good enough yet for smaller operations where the day to day tasks change. If in or going close to the Peoria area set up a visit for the demonstration building and prepare to be impressed.

Another thing to watch for in the not to distance future is a futuristic looking, larger exoskeleton excavator the is not made of steel but of a new, stronger than steel product than can be 3D printed. The technology of 3D printing is changing rapidly with new printers and products that they print with. Printers are also getting huge and the costs of printers are coming down as more companies are researching and building them. It will not be long before you order your part and they will print you one.

Last edited:

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
You only need to look at Volvo's website. Several years back they were running autonomous trucks in the jungles of South America. Then they introduced the same thing in mines. They were very proud that it wouldn't run over the engineer that deliberately walked in it's path. The next season they unveiled their autonomous dumper. A40 ton hauler with no cab. Full suspension and iirc they were considering making it hybrid. Just recently I saw that they are working with LEGO, yes the toy, to develop a loader without an operator.
Maybe the insurance company wants to reduce injury, but they're reducing jobs first.

td25c

I need the autonomous option on the 1953 Insley crane .

Cleaning some ponds out with the drag line bucket this week and I tell ya what …

The air conditioning system aint nothin to brag about in that rig .

And make sure ya check all fluid levels & keep her greased R2- D2 . LOL !
serveimage

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The video appears to have been produced in the nineties. How much further ahead are they now?

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
The video appears to have been produced in the nineties. How much further ahead are they now?

This is where. Completly autonomous. Trucks, shovel loaders, dozers, water carriers, excavators, graders......

And what looks like a driller or shot holer up on the step to the left. Oh, and realize that the early parts of that first vid were shot in the 90s but, the LIDAR and the small footprint number crunching is a more modern invention.

Last edited:

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
Speaking on small footprint number crunchers.... The tablet I'm currently using has an octo-core processor. You can get a SBC of under $20 now.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Last edited:

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
Lots of autonomous mining trucks running around in Australia where the logistics of moving operators back and forth to remote mines located long distances away from urban areas has always been a problem.

Mine sites I can see why there are autonomous machines. Do this, do that, repetitive motions ARE more common to autonomous motions. It's when you get in to the other side of earth moving. Small subcontractors, single operators and users of "Old Iron". That might be pushed out of their "nitch" market by someone running the machine in a third world earning $2.50 an hour across the internet or sattellite.

From Sweden Tech.

Yeah the guy doesn't know how a loader runs, but!

Last edited:

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
A couple hackers already proved it could be done. They approached Chrysler a couple years back. Said there was a flaw in their system. Chrysler replied, " naw, we got it all fingered out" These kids had a buddy, a willing participant driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee I believe. They hacked their way in through the sirius radio. Everything is now on CAN so they got into ABS, electronic steering, cruise control. They really gave their buddy a hard time. Chrysler later offered them position to ensure that would not happen again.