• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

replacing Hydraulic oil oin case 580 k backhoe

schmark1

hello everyone. I recently purchased a used case 580k backhoe. One bucket cylinder is bent and leaks a good stream of hydraulic oil. I got a new cylinder to replace the one with bent piston rod. Anyway, I bought the backhoe in the middle of winter. The guy I bought it from said there was just a couple of slightly leaking cylinders but now that the weather has warmed up I notice it is more than just a couple that have leaks. I started running low on hydraulic oil so I contacted the seller and asked him what type of hydraulic fluid he was putting in it so I could get the same type. He told me they have been putting in the cheap stuff from tsc with the green top. I have the owners/repair manual from case and they recommend 10w30 motor oil (same as the engine oil for my machine) for the hydraulic system on 580 k. I have decided to replace the thinner fluid they have been putting in with the recommended oil but do not know how to do this. I am mechanically inclined and feel I will be able to pull this job off but don't want any surprises in the middle of the job. I already have thirty gallons of oil and the filter I need but not sure how to do it. Can someone walk me through the process and give me a heads up on anything to look out for. I would greatly appreciate any help and suggestions.

Doug580l

I have a 1997 case 1840 and it calls for 10w-30 fluid for hydraulic also, but I had to add Case HTO additive to it. The Case dealer told me that they use 15w-40 in the older machines like mine. Not sure if that would be right for yours or not though.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I knew a Case backhoe operator that used 10/30 motor oil in his hydraulics and never had any problems . I've only used hydraulic oil in mine and often topped it up with trans hydraulic because that's what I had.