• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Replacing Bobcat loader control valve seals

DrJim

Occupation
General Dentist, including Implant Restorations
:notworthyFour balls and two springs, a collar/sleeve, and a pair of "slip joint" pliers? Ah just checked my email, and Earl C. at BCat of Knox says "The Pliers" are Part # MEL 1278 Retail is 114.87 plus frt. and tx. How's that for putting a name (well, a number) on the animal? I'm just the kind of nut to buy the pliers, use 'em once, and the "loan" them to ATCO for all his trouble. That'll insure that he'll never ever need 'em.

female.mechanic

Thank you soooooo much.. I have been playing mechanic for the car lot I work at because labor prices are outrageous and I love to learn new things.. I have the whole selling cars thing down pat... Now Im learning the other side.. Recently we had some trouble with our Bobcat cat leaking hydraulic fluid. I narrowed it down to the spool valve leaking. Your post has helped me greatly.. I am about half way done. lol. These are tight quarters!!! Just wanted to thank you for your incredible help!!!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Another Bobcat control valve seal project. This one 763C series, very much like the 753C. I got to thinking, the big problem working on these is access to front of loader control valve seals because the loader arm manual descent valve is in the way as I stated in previous posts about 753C. I can remove a few lines and fittings and perform the repairs, but then I'm not the size of the Incredible Hulk either. I realize there are likely many folks out there that still cannot get their big mits in there and work on the front of valve spools, so here's an alternative method for working on the front side of the control valve. It's a little bit of work, but not bad really. Beside, that panel was getting a bit rusty so I wanted to add a little paint to protect it.

Just to refresh things, the first thing you want to do when replacing control valve seals on any Bobcat skid is remove the attachment, bucket or whatever is attached to coupler, then raise the loader arms fully and install the boom safety prop. Lower boom gently until it rests on prop. Then tilt the coupler all the way forward. Shut down manchine. Then power up ignition but don't start engine. Drop seat bar if it's a C or F series, push green enable button if it's a G series, then operate foot pedals to release residual pressure on loader arm and bucket tilt circuits.

Here's the control valve. Very tight area to get to front of valve spools.

Bobcat 763C control valve seals_003.jpg

You ain't gonna cram your hand in there, work with fingertips or long nose pliers at best.

Bobcat 763C control valve seals_004.jpg

An alternative method for repair is to remove the front drive lever panel, or whatever Bobcat
calls it, with the drive levers attached to it.

Bobcat 763C control valve seals_005.jpg

Disconnect the shock absorber dampeners from the front panel and flip them back out of the way.

Bobcat 763C control valve seals_006.jpg

Then disconnect drive links from cross shaft. The bolts go through threaded holes in drive links, the nut is a jam nut.

Bobcat 763C control valve seals_007.jpg

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Disconnect electrical harness connectors for wiring that goes into drive levers. On this machine it only had wiring harness going to right drive lever, no wires to left lever.

Bobcat 763C control valve seals_008.jpg

Remove the red manual descent knob (knob was missing on this one), the knob jam nut, and the rubber seal disk.

Bobcat 763C control valve seals_009.jpg

Remove the two bolts that mount the throttle control, there are nuts on the outside of machine frame for the two bolts.

Bobcat 763C control valve seals_010.jpg

Once bolts are removed, lift out the metal bracket and you can release the throttle control from contol rod. Note there are two holes in throttle control, control rod hook goes in bottom hole.

Bobcat 763C control valve seals_011.jpg

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Now you're ready to remove front panel. Remove the three mounting screws on each side of the front panel, the lower screw is hiding under the drive lever boot.

Bobcat 763C control valve seals_012.jpg

Then remove the two screws that secure the lower portion of panel.

Bobcat 763C control valve seals_013.jpg

Now you simply lift the front panel with drive levers attached.

Bobcat 763C control valve seals_014.jpg

This gives you access to the front of the control valve by working underneath the manual descent valve block. It's still a bit tight, but you can at least get your hand in there to perform the work.

Bobcat 763C control valve seals_015.jpg

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
One other thing you have to do before working on control valve seals on the C and F series machines, that has hydraulic tank mounted behind seat, is do something with return hose from control valve shown by arrow below. You can either drain the tank, as shown previously in pics of 753C, or you can simply disconnect the hose connection to control valve where wrench is located in pic.

Bobcat 763C control valve seals_029.jpg

Once you pop the hose loose from piping, plug the hose fitting with a #6 JIC plug. You'll spill a little bit of oil doing this, but not much.

Bobcat 763C control valve seals_030.jpg

2frankh

Thanks for the great post. Had to fix my773g. Took the whole thing out and took it to bobcat, saved some but next time I'll do it myself.
The deaaler likes to mmake every repair sound impossible for the diy guy.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Oh man, for the trouble it takes to pull one of those valve bodies out, not me. Too much crap in there. I'd much rather fit new spools seals with valve body fitted. I hope this info is helpful for ya 2frankh. :)

2frankh

I hope i don't have to do it again. Bobcat wanted 5 hours labor to do it. At least i know how just in case. Thanks again

Barahk

I have a question for ya willie59... First I like to say hi and thanks for all the info you post ....help more than the manuals some times ...I have a t300 turbo track loader and the bucket is stuck up in the air , it will come down with the emg.relief valve but when I idle it up the bucket goes back up slowly ,it's like the linkage is stuck but it's not ,looks like it could be something in side the valve thats stuck, thanks for any help ,service for this machine is out to two weeks before someone can look at it.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum Barahk. :drinkup

I haven't ran into that problem myself before, not sure what the cause is. I know you stated linkage is not stuck, but just to verify, is this a linkage controlled valve with foot pedals only or does it have optional hand operated joysticks as well?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ok Barahk. Again, I haven't really experienced this problem, and not being there to see it myself, I suppose the first thing I would do is raise the cab, turn on ignition (don't start engine), drop seat bar, and press green enable button to release valve spool locks, then you can operate foot pedal and view spool movement at control valve to verify the spool is moving fully. The position of loader arm spool (lower spool) should be exactly the same as the bucket tilt spool (top spool) when the pedals are released (spool centered) and with spools fully stroked in either direction.

If it seems the spool is operating correctly, then my best guess would be dig into the control valve searching for the problem. In that case, I would prefer to have the control valve off the machine and on a bench. Begin removing cartridge and relief valves looking for failed o-rings and such and remove plugs to check out load check valves. That's about the best advice I can offer on this problem. :)

Hi guys, I am a newbie. Wish I found you guys a few months back! willie59 your step by step instructions are great, had I seen this before things would be much better. I have a 773 wich I left in the wrong hands to change seals and now I have a bent spool. Please dont ask. Can anyone tell me were to get a new spool for my 773.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum 00773.

I can't say for certain new spool is not available, but in most cases valve spools are not sold separately because they are precision ground to match the valve bore that they fit into. I have straightened bent spools on various valve bodies before, but you need the valve body on a bench so you can check how it fits or rotate the spool in the bore to check direction of bend.

Thanks willie59 I have valve body out now and Im trying to straighten out the spool. In the event I cant make it straight, were do I start looking for valve body.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Not many sources for that control valve as it's specific for that Bobcat machine, and there's not much used Bobcat stuff out there, not even a single 773G series shown for dismantle on Machinery Trader. You need to get the part number for your valve so you can do some searching as those valves changed with changes to the model series. I found this valve doing an internet search for used Bobcat parts, don't know that it's the correct valve for your machine though.

http://www.shop.bobcatusedparts.com/Bobcat-PN-6597310-6597310REM.htm