• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Replace drive sprockets?

Kevin Cohrs

Installing new tracks on our Bobcat T770 machine. Wondering if it would also be a good idea to replace the sprockets at the same time? Thanks

Attachments

• cFBvzGL3SKW784qcnKPeGA.jpg
    cFBvzGL3SKW784qcnKPeGA.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 48
  • aNvUbW39TS+siuSLTaxVRA.jpg
    aNvUbW39TS+siuSLTaxVRA.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
  • Uoua7XkQR222GvF3hQnI+g.jpg
    Uoua7XkQR222GvF3hQnI+g.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 44

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Yes. You should always replace your sprockets when you replace tracks on a CTL.

Think of this way - you're installing new tracks with "pins and bushings" for lack of a better definition onto wore sprockets. The worn sprockets will accelerate the wear on the new tracks as there is more movement between the new tracks "P&B's" and the worn sprockets.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Yes. You should always replace your sprockets when you replace tracks on a CTL.

Think of this way - you're installing new tracks with "pins and bushings" for lack of a better definition onto wore sprockets. The worn sprockets will accelerate the wear on the new tracks as there is more movement between the new tracks "P&B's" and the worn sprockets.
This is true for motorcycles too...if you replace the chain and leave the drive or driven sprocket with worn teeth it will wear out the new chain very fast.

skata

I didn't replace my sprockets on a Takeuchi tl140. They didn't look worn at all. Yours however is visibly worn.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Installing new tracks on our Bobcat T770 machine. Wondering if it would also be a good idea to replace the sprockets at the same time? Thanks
Did you read my reply when you asked this question earlier?

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I didn't replace my sprockets on a Takeuchi tl140. They didn't look worn at all. Yours however is visibly worn.
I changed a set of Sprockets on a Bobcat T190 and they were worn right out with 700 HRS only. Changed the tracks on a Volvo MCT 135 that only the Tracks were junk and sprockets looked 90 %. Sometimes you do whatever the customer is paying For

lantraxco

Yes, or if you want to wear those on out, swap them side to side. You're always pushing forward so one side of the teeth wear more than the other.

Reactions: DB2

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
This dude has posted the same question twice now and hasn't replied to either. I give up.

Tyler d4c

This is true for motorcycles too...if you replace the chain and leave the drive or driven sprocket with worn teeth it will wear out the new chain very fast.
On the other hand I've had a few bikes and sport quads that would destroy chains no matter what you did. Put all new on and go ride and the chain would nearly be dragging till you'd get home

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
On the other hand I've had a few bikes and sport quads that would destroy chains no matter what you did. Put all new on and go ride and the chain would nearly be dragging till you'd get home
Well... that’s just initial chain stretch

Welder Dave

It pays to buy better chain for bikes. Unless you're an pro on a 125, you won't notice any difference running an O-ring or X-ring chain. They will last the longest and not require as much adjusting.

Tyler d4c

It pays to buy better chain for bikes. Unless you're an pro on a 125, you won't notice any difference running an O-ring or X-ring chain. They will last the longest and not require as much adjusting.
Thats what I learn after I bought about 50 chains the cheapest oring chain seem to way out last the best non oring by far