• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rental/Lease/Purchase on Equipment

fensoncont.

Hey guys,

Theres a contracting company called Fox Contractors Corp. and they rent a lot of there equipment. I am pretty sure its setup on something called rental/lease/purchase, does that sound right?? If so can someone tell me how that works??

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have used the rental purchase option on a few machines and there is a plus and minus to this arrangement. Basically you can rent the tractor month to month and a certain amount, say 6 months of rent, can be applied to the purchase price if you decide to keep it. And if you decide the tractor does not fit your operation you can send it back and you have only paid rent. The minus side to this is you end up paying a higher interest rate if you decide to buy it.

I have leased my first machine recently. It is a new 725 artic. Actually it was cheaper to lease it for two years and pay the risidual than pay cash for it:beatsme. It just depends on your work load, your $$$ situation and your dealer.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
No problem.:thumbsup

MSC

There are also some finance companies out there that will write up a purchase as a lease, then there is a $1.00 buyout at the end of the term, and then you own the machine.
I have done this twice, and it has worked out well both times.
If anyone needs the name of the company and a phone # pm me and i'll put you in touch with the person who I deal with.
Rich

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
There are also some finance companies out there that will write up a purchase as a lease, then there is a $1.00 buyout at the end of the term, and then you own the machine.
If anyone needs the name of the company and a phone # pm me and i'll put you in touch with the person who I deal with.
Rich

One thing to think about is the tax consequences. The IRS does not treat this type of lease as a true tax lease where you can expense 100% of the payments. You have to have a fair market risidual to qualify for a true tax lease. But this is just my .02 I am not an accountant.

Finance Guy

Occupation
Financing
CM1995... You are correct. A $1.00 buyout option on a lease is not a true lease and does not have all the advantages of a residual type lease that is completely tax deductible. Some people prefer the $1.00 buyout and some people prefer the residual program. Regardless, either program is an off balance sheet transaction and does not show up on your bureau. The benefit of that is to preserve your bank lines if additional cash flow is necessary from your bank. ETC...

Call me if you have questions.

FG

Torsten

Occupation
industrial community organizer
I'm looking into this issue my self. Does anyone have sample leasing contracts. OK, I guess most of you are in the US with different legislation and business practices, but I could adopt it to South Africa as well.

grapple1

here in BC, same principles apply with the lease to $1.00 but instead of having to buck up all the tax up front when you sign off, you just pay it monthly.

CustomEquipFin

Rich

Fensoncont, MSC is right. I, personally working for an equipment leasing/financing company and we offer both Capital ($1.00 buy out) and Operating (option to purchase for Full Market Value). The nice thing about my company is depending on your individual financing needs, we can even offer a hybrid of sorts so you have the best of both words. We truly pride ourselves on being flexibile and allowing you to customize your lease making sure it's to your liking. I just started this position a few months ago and thought reaching out on this forum would be a great way to spark some interest if any of you out there are looking for FINANCING!!! We are a wholly owned subsidiary of one of the top banks in the nation with over $15billion in assets. (This means we can get you some very competitive rates).

I talk to CFO's regularly so feel free to message me if you are interested in financing or leasing of sorts. I would be more than happy to help you out!

Thanks!