1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Removing foamed tires from skid steer rims

Discussion in 'Skid Steers' started by tmc_31, Sep 25, 2021.

1. tmc_31

tmc_31 Senior Member

Sports Lighting Contractor
    Hey all, been awhile

When I bought my latest skid steer about 7 years ago, I installed new tires and had them foamed. They have performed very well, land clearing, demo etc. No flats.

Now the tires are wore out, tread ripped off in places, foam showing through. I think I have gotten the goodie out of these tires.

Has anybody had any experience removing foamed skid steer tires from the rims? If so, how did you go about it? All suggestions will be appreciated.

Tim

2. Aarons81

Aarons81 Well-Known Member

Cutting the tire off is the only solution ive found so far.

Paul Council likes this.
  3. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    What I have seen in the past is people buy new rims and throw away the old ones. It's the bad that you get for the good that you got type of thing.

CM1995 and Nige like this.
  4. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Pile the wheel assemblies up, apply about 5 gallons of diesel and ignite.

jacobd, phil314 and CM1995 like this.
  5. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    X2. Spend the money and buy new rims - you'll thank yourself later.

Nige likes this.
  6. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Or alternatively find an off-road tyre depot that has one of these............

Pixie, kshansen, DB2 and 2 others like this.
  7. Rob Gunn

Rob Gunn Well-Known Member

I had to use a sawzall on the 4 that I did last year. Made 4 cuts from outside toward the rim (12 o'clock, 3, 6 and 9) but stopped just short of hitting the rim. Then cut parallel to the rim all the way around. I was then able to peal the old tire off the solid foam. The whole project started hard on the first one but got easier by the last...

kshansen likes this.
  8. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    How much time did it take you to do that?

9. Rob Gunn

Rob Gunn Well-Known Member

I think I got the last one done in around 20 minutes

10. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

Neighboring company has a telehandler that wore out the tires, and they found the best solution was to have the remaining tread peeled and then retread the carcasses on the rims. Although the carcasses were not torn up since it mostly runs pavement.

Jonas302 likes this.