• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Remote control loaders?

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
Hi!

Now i have a really difficult task to bid! the job is to empty sand, rocks and other stuff under the base floor. working height would be 1,2m (4feet) and there is about 1000m3 (1300yard3) to take out.
its not possible to open the walls, so we have to make a hole in the floor and drop in the equipment that way.

my plan is to buy & use a Kanga D800R - Radio Remote Control skid steer loader and conveyer belts (which i have...).
http://www.kanga-loader.com/cgi-bin/web/view.pl?top_menu_page_id=2&page_id=12&product_id=13

there is one problem... Kanga doesnt have the CE-marking that is needed to make it a aproved piece of machinery in Europe.
is there other brands out there manufacturing these machines?

the other option would be a wacum truck, but it would be extremely expensive and slow! the hoses would be stuck all the time, and operating the suck hose at a 1,2m height would be a back killer!
using a brokk at that height would also be very slow...

any opinions?

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
dingo here in oz make something similar but the website doesn't make mention of the ce stuff.

i'd bid the job using a vacuum and then find a cheaper way...

there is also an attachment for bobcats that is designed to sweep under conveyors etc and you may be able to adapt it - hydrapower make it and it may be handy for getting your material into a place where you can deal with it easily.

is it possible to lift large sections of the floor?

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
well I can think of several ideas.

1. The remote controll package looks to be an attachment to an existing loader, maybe it can be purchased separatly and fitted to a different machine?

2. Bobcat makes a remote controll option for its skidsteers. They are designed to be operated by either method, but you could remove the rops for what your doing and shorten it, and have a larger capacity then the kanga, and when your done get a skidsteer out of it. They might attach to their minis too.
http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/remote_control

3. Here in the states if we dig basments under existing houses, we usually use a jd 350 or 450 (or simular size) crawler loader with the rops removed. and access it thru a wall. But they weigh alot more that a skidsteer or a kanga, and instead of a 1/4 bucket you get a 1 1/4 yard bucket. If you can use an mini excavator to make a hole to set the deere in to get started it might work.

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
dingo here in oz make something similar but the website doesn't make mention of the ce stuff.

i'd bid the job using a vacuum and then find a cheaper way...

I have to check out Dingo loaders!

I will bid using vacum truck, the "production" using vacum is 10-15 tonnes/8h shift, but then the rocks and bricks are still left to take out by hand. the miniskidsteer loading with conveyor belts is for shure a faster/cheaper way!

I have done similar tasks with full size trackloaders (komatsu D41/12tons), just removed the cab and shortened the exhaust pipe. video clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4eFqn8liz4

but 1,5m height is maximum available, because the house is built on bedrock, at most places the height is only 1,2-1,3m (once the sand is removed).

we can't make a hole in the wall, it's built 120 years ago, and is built on extremly large rocks. it would be really difficoult and a high risk task!

so we will make a hole in the floor where we "drop down" the loader and start to excavate some space.

hvy 1ton

I don't know how a remote ultra-mini excavtor would work out for you, but these Brokk machines get used all the time in tunneling and interoir demolition. The only problem would be how far you have to the material to the conveyor. If you could have a conveyor right at the machine and another moving out of the basement on of these machines would be ideal. Otherwise a loader would be the only productive option.
And why did bobcat make a remote control system for the big skid steers, but not the minis? Did it make to much sense or something?

Brokk 90.jpg

http://www.brokk.com/

Last edited:

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
Sparffo - how will you remove material with no holes in any wall?

trough long holes in the floor, the conveyor belts will lift up the stuff from the holes, after the project is done the holes will be reinfroced and filled with concrete again. the same holes will be used to lower down the loader.

we have a lot of experience with using BROKK robots on simmilar projects, but they need a lot of conveyer belts to cover up for the reach, also height would be a problem for any brokk bigger than the little BROKK 40.

here is a video from a project vere we used the BROKK 40 to dig out a basement inside a building:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji46j4Znv0A

hvy 1ton

Sparffo, I just noticed you mentioned not being able to use a brokk in your original post. I was under the impression brokk made a couple of loaders too, so went to the site to look around and posted it anyway.

I was really suprised the bobcat haven't made their remote control system work on their mini skids. Most of the r&d is done with making the kit for the bigger machines. I would think there is more of a market for remote control mini skids than a r/c t320.

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
So did you win the bid sparffo? And if so hows the project comming along?

At the moment i'm waiting for a answer! I probabbly should know by this week, at least the project is not canceled yet:cool:
My plan is now to buy a used MT52 and install radio controll to it, to buy a new 50000€ machine for one job would be tough!

I'll keep you informed!

Radiomatic

Remotes for Loaders

HBC-radiomatic makes industrial wireless remote controls that can be used to control Loaders, Dingos, and about anything else.

Try looking here: www.hbc-usa.com

These remotes meet the EU Machinery Directive for controls. EN 954-1

Klutz

Occupation
Engineer
I feel I need to bring up the safety issue here. Buying a machine without CE marking is not a good idea but neither is taking off the ROPS/FOPS when going underground. I heard a story about a guy who did something similar with a trackloader. The floor was in two different levels and when he ran over the edge and the machine tipped forward he was smashed against the ceiling. I don't want to point fingers here, just don't hurt yourself. :)

dmarchand

Occupation
Owner of golf construction company. We service the
Remotecontrol on MT52

I have a similar project in the works involving cleaning out debris from a 5ft diameter drainage culvert/tunnel. I own a MT55 and am interested if you did get a MT52 set up for remote control.

At the moment i'm waiting for a answer! I probabbly should know by this week, at least the project is not canceled yet:cool:
My plan is now to buy a used MT52 and install radio controll to it, to buy a new 50000€ machine for one job would be tough!

I'll keep you informed!

90plow

how are you going to dig out the basement if the walls cant take a hole in them? Wont you be undermining the existing walls? Just wondering what the plan was.
-Eric

Waldoc1

sounds like a good job for someone else to do.

Xxxooo
hi!

Now i have a really difficult task to bid! The job is to empty sand, rocks and other stuff under the base floor. Working height would be 1,2m (4feet) and there is about 1000m3 (1300yard3) to take out.
Its not possible to open the walls, so we have to make a hole in the floor and drop in the equipment that way.

My plan is to buy & use a kanga d800r - radio remote control skid steer loader and conveyer belts (which i have...).
http://www.kanga-loader.com/cgi-bin/web/view.pl?top_menu_page_id=2&page_id=12&product_id=13

there is one problem... Kanga doesnt have the ce-marking that is needed to make it a aproved piece of machinery in europe.
Is there other brands out there manufacturing these machines?

The other option would be a wacum truck, but it would be extremely expensive and slow! The hoses would be stuck all the time, and operating the suck hose at a 1,2m height would be a back killer!
Using a brokk at that height would also be very slow...

Any opinions?

Maldeney

Occupation
Maint. Coordinator
I was not aware that Bobcat MT were compatable with the remote systems. I know we used a newer "S" model equipped with a remote system here once but that was the extent. I have seen Brokk's in action on numerous occasions and they were quite impressive in IMO.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Sparffo, I just noticed you mentioned not being able to use a brokk in your original post. I was under the impression brokk made a couple of loaders too, so went to the site to look around and posted it anyway.

I was really suprised the bobcat haven't made their remote control system work on their mini skids. Most of the r&d is done with making the kit for the bigger machines. I would think there is more of a market for remote control mini skids than a r/c t320.

I smell a rat here

Did you notice this post is 5 years old? But good joke. LOL