• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Recycled asphalt (millings/grindings)

Serv

Has anyone worked with this? Guys used to pay to get rid of this stuff down here, but now it has become a commodity in the recent years for people wanting to spread some all weather material on a budget.

I've worked with two types of millings in the past. The fine stuff that the road leveler/grinder generates and the big chunks that people pull out of parking lots when doing demolition. The chunks, if you will, worked great for me after putting down a 6 inch compacted base of caliche and watering and rolling it for a week. Then we layed the chunks of asphalt down and did whatever it took to smash it down with the roller. After a few hot 110 degree Laredo days, that stuff binded together almost like brand new asphalt and is amazingly still going strong after 5 years of hard use.

Also, back when I tried working with the fine stuff, I could never get it to bind like this probably because it was more likle pea gravel and every little rock was contaminated with dirt.

I'm being offered both types of material for a yard I'm putting together on a budget right now. I want to take all I can get and already started recieving and stockpiling some stuff.

Is there any way to get the finer stuff to bind together? Can I add the black oil/tar stuff to it and somehow reactivate it? Or am I just wasting your/my time with these silly questions? I know for a fact that the stuff that come to me in chunks works beautifully and I can get pics of my old yard as proof. I don't want to spend unnecessary cash on brand new pavement right now because I need alot more than I can afford. Remember, in my case there's no city codes or crazy regs I need to deal with as I'm in the middle of a ranch.

Any suggestions or ideas of how to better work with the fine grindings?

here's some pics of the stuff that I started receiving two days ago. These are chunks. I have ten more loads coming in today. :eek:

Attachments

• DSC01193.JPG
    DSC01193.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 10,966
  • DSC01194.JPG
    DSC01194.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 10,725
  • DSC01197.JPG
    DSC01197.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 10,733
  • DSC01198.JPG
    DSC01198.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 11,186

Grader4me

Has anyone worked with this?
Is there any way to get the finer stuff to bind together? Can I add the black oil/tar stuff to it and somehow reactivate it? Or am I just wasting your/my time with these silly questions? I know for a fact that the stuff that come to me in chunks works beautifully and I can get pics of my old yard as proof. I don't want to spend unnecessary cash on brand new pavement right now because I need alot more than I can afford. Remember, in my case there's no city codes or crazy regs I need to deal with as I'm in the middle of a ranch.

Any suggestions or ideas of how to better work with the fine grindings?

here's some pics of the stuff that I started receiving two days ago. These are chunks. I have ten more loads coming in today. :eek:

The only place that we have used the big chunks was in a washout at the end of a culvert. Worked good as it bonded somewhat.
We have worked with the finer millings using them for shoulder material and have even spread some on gravel roads. It seemed to bond okay but over the months the fines would become loose and the road become potholy etc. On the shoulders it worked really well as there is no traffic.
Discussing this topic on another forum a while back and what one fellow did and it worked for him, and I can't believe that I am even sharing this...He sprayed a light coat of diesel fuel over the entire surface and he said it bonded the millings just like concrete..

wrenchbender

The only place that we have used the big chunks was in a washout at the end of a culvert. Worked good as it bonded somewhat.
We have worked with the finer millings using them for shoulder material and have even spread some on gravel roads. It seemed to bond okay but over the months the fines would become loose and the road become potholy etc. On the shoulders it worked really well as there is no traffic.
Discussing this topic on another forum a while back and what one fellow did and it worked for him, and I can't believe that I am even sharing this...He sprayed a light coat of diesel fuel over the entire surface and he said it bonded the millings just like concrete..

I know it sounds crazy not to even mention the legal asspect if any apply here but there is a guy not far from me who did the same thing. Dumped the millings spread them nice and even sprayed them with diesle and burnt oil mixed. Rolled and rolled and the stuff looks like an old asphalt road now. He did this about two years ago his only traffic is cars light trucks and the UPS truck.

telescooper

I know alot of people that used road millings for their driveway, some these were farms. Millings when graded and compacted hold up good fairly decent. When the sun gets on it the millings realy tighten up. We hardly ever have a problem getting rid of the stuff. We also mixed millings with E5 oil in a pug mill/ motorpaver and placed them in a shoulder. These shoulder projects are aleast 10 years old and still holding up. After we did the millings in the shoulder we seal coated it with E3 oil and 1b's.

jmac

In my area the millings sell for more than than crushed stone! Item #4 is $8 a ton and millings are $9 to $10 ton with no trucking.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
I have worked a fair amount with the finer (crushed) recycled ashpalt. Its great stuff in lots where Pavement is to expensive for some customers. I have placed alot of it over gravel parking lots, because it is not as "muddy" in the spring.
I have found that in some places they cannot keep enough of it on hand for the customers and others it just sit in piles in the yard.

As for the big chunks, Unless you crush it down to something more manageable, it is just waste for yard/dump