• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Recomendations for drive tires tandem dump truck

crane operator

We run a lot of recaps. They're not like the old ones used to be. They reuse our Micheline casings. Can't remember the last time one lost a cap.

He's in arizona. I'm not sure your temp. ranges are remotely similar. :)

I do know a guy that gets his own casings capped and gets one piece caps, he says those don't separate as bad and he gets decent life. If you're springing for michelin, you better get a cap or two out of them also with what they cost new.

skyking1

I remember even eastern Wa where @Truck Shop is at, the recaps flew off regularly in the summers back in the day. Recall one trip to the hydro races in the Tri Cities that ate a tire on my Falcon convertible. That is a hot time of year!

Truck Shop

I do know a guy that gets his own casings capped and gets one piece caps, h

Ring Tread is the name. When those do let loose it can be worse for damage.

Toyo's are a soft compound too soft. A set of drives averaged 125,000, the 177, 154 steer averaged 60,000.
Yokohama 527 drive average 195,000, Bridgestone 213 steer 95 to 105,000, Firestone 591 steer 90,000.
Yokohama RY023 255/22.5 drop axle tire 150,000. Toyo RT500 drop axle average 60,000 or less.
A four rib steer wears the best, a very straight grooved low profile tread {18/32nds} will last the longest on
a drop axle. But all of this is based on a tire management, vehicle is properly aligned and air pressure is
checked with a gauge regularly.

Drives 100 psi cold
Steers 105 to 110 psi cold 16 ply, 14 ply 100 to 105
Drop 105 psi cold
Trailer 100 psi cold.

Michelin's are over priced and the wear is no better than other leading names, paying for a name.

skyking1

those are the pressures I run, more or less. Really pleased with the Hankooks on the trailer. I asked for Yokohamas but it was at the worst of the supply problems, so I was happy to get 8 new low profiles, period. I can't really air up the steers with onboard air so I check it and if it is needing I stop by the tire shop with the big compressor.

gwhammy

Most dumps around here run the recaps crane operator mentioned. I might get 50,000 miles at the most out of drives. Just to much starting and stopping turning and lots of gravel roads. That cap is almost all the county maintaince sheds run to last the longest but like was said caps may not work in your heat.

AzIron

Recaps suck in arizona heat ask me how many experiences I had when I was working for other people tho ring treads held up the best recaps like to get rock Burroughs on gravel roads and then the tire is shot with 40 percent tread left

There's a place in Phoenix that wholesale tires that's where I go we have been buying falken closed shoulder drives with pretty good results they also make a pretty heavy steer tire last set I bought in january was under 400 apiece not sure about today

If your off and on road in my opinion closed shoulders are the way to go they wear better than open shoulder on pavement I have never had problems with traction on my dump truck with that style

workshoprat92

We run a lot of recaps. They're not like the old ones used to be. They reuse our Micheline casings. Can't remember the last time one lost a cap.
Same here! And here in sw missouri its just not worth spending big bucks on tires. The sidewalls get shredded long before the tire wears out. That is if you do alot of offroad on site work like i do. Lots of sharp rocks out here! Retreads are about $250 each here.

Keith Merrell

Ended up talking to a tire guy up in flagstaff and he got me hooked up with some used tires for $165 a piece. 9 Firestone T831s. Quite aggressive tread at half life made in 2018. No tax or FET on these. If they last 9 months it will be the same cost if you pro rate new uniroyals plus I have a spare.

Attachments

• 6F390907-E458-4168-A7F7-A54C64C27E72.jpeg
    6F390907-E458-4168-A7F7-A54C64C27E72.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 27