• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Reclaimed asphalt as gravel on driveway?

DrJim

Occupation
General Dentist, including Implant Restorations
I almost did my barn lot with recycled asphalt. . . but quickly found out that nearly 100% of the stuff is getting sent back to the plants to be blended with "virgin" asphalt mix. Therefore, the millings were going to cost me. . . more than I wanted to put into the project. If you can get it cheap or free, I agree: Put it down with a paver on a hot day and roll the heck of it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Tomorrow we are putting some milling down on a private drive, 16' wide with a good dense graded limestone base. The base has been there for several years except for one 200' section that failed due to poor subgrade. A couple of weeks ago we put another 6" of dense grade over that failed spot and last Friday we took the roller, water wagon and a T250 and scarified the surface, wet it down and packed it. (This is a private drive of a business partner of mine, we work on it when we have the time and he has the money..:), hence the spans of time between work;))

So the question is "to water or not to water". Since even red fuel is $3.50 a gallon, that is out of the question.

I have a Cat 533E for compaction, so we are covered there. The millings were hauled in and stockpiled many months ago, good, clean millings from a US highway.

I have a water wagon at my disposal (Ok it's my hydroseeder, little sucker has all sorts of uses :D). Should we grade it out and spray the surface, then compact it?

To add- we will be placing geo-fabric down prior to placing milling on the poor subgrade section.;)

Colorado Digger

water and milllings

you should know about the soft spot. did you get it to quit pumping? other than that, the r.a.p wiill take a ton of water. i don't know how long the drive is and how deep you are laying it in. but with the high temps down there and plenty of water you will be fine. i try not to work it too many time because i end up losing all of the fines.

good luck

cd:usa:usa

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
you should know about the soft spot. did you get it to quit pumping?

Since I have come on board for this "project", the spot wasn't pumping just flexing some under the roller. The base started to get a few stress cracks as the rolling/vibrating continued. I chocked it up to some soft sub-base and quit rolling it. We have some fabric so that will go down over that area before the milling is put down.

Good thing is that this driveway is mostly just residential traffic with the occasional dump truck coming in and out. The area that I am talking about is the 4-5' wide section, about 200' long, close to the shoulder. The center and left side are good and tight.

Thanks for the advice on not working it too much. Makes sense you don't want to segregate the fines from the larger pieces.

It's in the high 90's manana (98-99 with the same humidity :dizzy), so the temps should be in our favor. I'll pour the water to it prior to rolling and see how it goes.:D

Thanks CD.:drinkup

ON EDiT- This is a driveway for a business partner of mine in the industry, not a job for a customer.

Last edited: