• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Reclaimed asphalt as gravel on driveway?

Big Lug

Occupation
Heavy/highway construction
RAP makes a great driveway if they are *good* millings, not from shoulder work. Using water to compact millings does nothing. Grade and compact, then on a nice warm sunny day, take a garden sprayer with kerosene and spray the surface. doesn't take a lot. The kero (or diesel) will soak in and "reactivate the tar" and will harden better. I did a basketball court this way in 1984 at my parents house. Its still there to this day. Did a friends driveway with it too many years ago. You can use a little sand on the top to keep it from tracking/lifting (it will for a few days afterwards). I've worked for a paving contractor for 23 years, and millings are like gold here. Can't get my hands on it anymore.

Colorado Digger

kerosene

please tell me why when i use millings and we put water to it and roll it it turns out like blacktop. if water does nothing what it making it do this. i have never heard of kerosene.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
I'll just add my two cents of caution here... if it is wet or doesn't get covered with an impermeable surface and it is being placed directly on clay, it won't set very well and end up pumping and be more of a PITA than it is worth.

heavylift

I'll just add my two cents of caution here... if it is wet or doesn't get covered with an impermeable surface and it is being placed directly on clay, it won't set very well and end up pumping and be more of a PITA than it is worth.

That's why we put fabric down on some jobsites
Never heard over the kerosine before, gas and oil does make a mess of asphalt .. it think a little would go along way.

xcv8tr7

Occupation
EXCAVATOR
I would have to argue about whether water works or not. I did half of my driveway with and half without- BIG difference. Material came from same pile (consecutive loads). I loaded, hauled, spread, graded, and packed it all myself. Can't get a more accurate test than that. The first time it rained after I was done, the half that didn't get water-packed looked like it was letting the rain soak in. The half that got water-packed was shedding the water off the top. As soon as it started raining you could instantly see where one load stopped and the next started. I had a bunch of people over for a party and when the rain started, they all said hey- what's up with your driveway- half of it looks different! It definitely works.

xcv8tr7

Occupation
EXCAVATOR
I also have to agree with not putting it directly on top of clay. You should have a good gravel base under it first.

Big Lug

Occupation
I would have to argue about whether water works or not. I did half of my driveway with and half without- BIG difference. Material came from same pile (consecutive loads). I loaded, hauled, spread, graded, and packed it all myself. Can't get a more accurate test than that. The first time it rained after I was done, the half that didn't get water-packed looked like it was letting the rain soak in. The half that got water-packed was shedding the water off the top. As soon as it started raining you could instantly see where one load stopped and the next started. I had a bunch of people over for a party and when the rain started, they all said hey- what's up with your driveway- half of it looks different! It definitely works.

I'm not going to argue with anyone on the subject. What anyone does with there time, energy, and water is their buisness. As I said, i've worked with the stuff for over two decades, and i have seen what is worth doing and what is not. Next time you get some millings, take 2 five gallon buckets , fill one with wet millings, and one dry. Stomp on them till your feet bleed if you like and set them in the sun for a week of two. try to dig it out of the buckets, and note your results. Won't be any difference. Not trying to be a smart@$$ at all xcvtr7. We have put it in with graders, ran it through the paver etc., and never used a drop of water on it. we have put it down in the rain, and never gotten any better compaction. Kero or diesel doesn't make it compact better, just the opposite, it will soften it. Its bringing the asphalt cement 'back to life" and with the sun lets it knit back together. Sorry if I seem a little touchy tonight guys, first day back to work today and guess what, 12 hours of milling today.

crayton

Occupation
Don't want one now, retired.
RAP Question.? I have always thought this would work, say you are trying to pave a small driveway with RAP on a hot day. Would it help any to lay out the asphalt, grade it and then cover it with black plastic for a coupla hours to heat it up before rolling. I have cooked hot dogs with some tin foil and black plastic over it on a hot day but never checked the temp before. Just an Idea.

Colorado Digger

kerosene or diesel

does it matter if it is disel or kerosene? i will try this. as i am all ears to anyone that has a better way of doing things ot a better method. how much to apply per1/4 mile? or whatever figures you may have. we have a road we put in last year. just about a mile, all millings turned out bomber. maybe i will go check out the back of the job with a test section to see how this works. very interesting indeed.

xcv8tr7

Occupation
EXCAVATOR
"take 2 five gallon buckets , fill one with wet millings, and one dry. Stomp on them till your feet bleed if you like and set them in the sun for a week of two. try to dig it out of the buckets, and note your results. Won't be any difference."

Oh come on now- that doesn't sound even close to what I was writing. I only wet the surface before rolling it and it sealed the surface far better. I see in one of my quotes I made the mistake of saying water helped in compaction- I only meant in sealing the surface- let's be civil here.

Big Lug

Occupation
"take 2 five gallon buckets , fill one with wet millings, and one dry. Stomp on them till your feet bleed if you like and set them in the sun for a week of two. try to dig it out of the buckets, and note your results. Won't be any difference."

Oh come on now- that doesn't sound even close to what I was writing. I only wet the surface before rolling it and it sealed the surface far better. I see in one of my quotes I made the mistake of saying water helped in compaction- I only meant in sealing the surface- let's be civil here.

I didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot with you xcv, but don't say I'm being uncivil. Do the bucket test... full, half full, three inches in the bottom...or not at all, I don't really care. You seal the surface BY compacting. I only quoted your post for a generalization for my post, not to single YOU out. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.... not my intention.

jbernd

We use it a lot for field entrances at KDOT. Used to be able to get it easily, but now we have to fight the contractor for any scraps left over.With money tight they are using asphalt re-cycle quite a bit. If it is pretty fresh. just spread it out and roll it and roll it and roll it. You can roll it with a truck or motor grader. If it is pretty old, the oil tends to wash out and then you have mostly loose stuff that still works for gravel it just doesnt pack as good.

Anomalie

I have it in my driveway all 950' of it and it is the best thing since sliced bread. But just the way teeth wear when cutting it, the millings vary so much you can't tell anyone what they will end up with. I have been running a mill for over 30 years aand I have seen all types of asphalt. It all depends on the quality of asphalt you start with. Some is dead, wore out and ready for the scrap pile and some is like new and ready to set up tight without any help. It also helps if the guys doing the milling slow down and make finner rap. Like everything else "so many variables and so little time". Ask the guys doing the milling what they think of the material and if they are honest and you have a six pack they might just tell you. Thats the way we used to do it now days you might have to offer a case after work to grease the wheels so to say.
Anomalie

xkv8r

Spend the extra money and get unwashed limestone if you have access. I had asphalt millings and recycled concrete and have used them for 30 years in contracting, it doesnt hold up . I wont even pour concrete on this stuff no matter how you compact it . I have a 300 ft drive and used it for a base and it is not stable . I put limestone over the base and have no problems at all . I have driven over the limestone for 20 years and only have to refresh it about every 5 years.

Anomalie

Spend the extra money and get unwashed limestone if you have access. I had asphalt millings and recycled concrete and have used them for 30 years in contracting, it doesnt hold up . I wont even pour concrete on this stuff no matter how you compact it . I have a 300 ft drive and used it for a base and it is not stable . I put limestone over the base and have no problems at all . I have driven over the limestone for 20 years and only have to refresh it about every 5 years.

Not that I want to argue but read what I said: Some is ready for the scrap pile and some is like new. As a matter of fact I didn't compact it at all. I just spread it out and the sun did the rest. It was asphalt that came from I-75 at Gaylord the top 1 1/2" of like new pavement. It was real good stuff and we slowed down an made it fine. Where I live I am right by Calcite the largest open pit lime stone quarry in the world - the sign says any way., and Stone Port a quarry run by Bethlem Steel or used to be any way. Calcite used to be US Steel now it is Olgobie Norton I believe. (Spelling I don't know about) If it was not good live asphalt it is not worth hauling but if you walk on it and feel it knitting together it is good.
Like I said before some people are not happy if you hang them with a new rope.
I have used lime stone and it doesnt hold a candle to RAP. Now that is good rap not just any rap. I have milled for 30 + years and I know what good rap is. You might think you do but I know I do. Not much else but I do know about Milling and Rap. If you go cheap on it. It will not last put on 8 " to a foot thick and it will last and if you ever need to dress it up you better have access to a mill because that is what it will take. I know because that is what I had too use. I did not have time to grade it out and it was rough. So after a couple of years I took a mill up one side and down the other. I cut it at a 2% slope each way and it was the best drainage I ever had on a drive way. I also used it to till up a garden space in January when I profiled the gravel road in front of my house because of an ice storm that made it difficullt to slow down and turn into my drive. It was also the best garden I ever had 12" deep in January. It did not last but it was good that year.
Anomalie

hlcrkfrm

A company i used to work at made recycle we made it out of old blacktop ,concrete, and a little sand crushed it all together it was the best stuff i have ever used. We used it as a temp when we would redue city streets,after the cars would drive on it for a couple of days you would have to use a excavator to dig it back up, it would be just as hard as the blacktop you took off in the first place.

IMCA38

Occupation
Insurance claims
The place that sells that here sells by the ton. Can anyone give me a rough idea of the volume yield per ton?

heavylift

i was trying to recall the area a dump truck load would cover, I'm thinking 20' x 20', 6" to 8" deep