• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rec. for loading pallets onto trailers?

Stevenbrla

First post:

We have a store where we sell pallets of grass sod (about 2000 lbs each), often onto open trailers which have rails down the sides...

Of course the pallet needs to be pushed at least up to the trailer axles, and sometimes further if the customer wants more than one... so that's like anywhere from 4' to 10' (or more) onto the trailer. Of course some of these trailers have ramps on the rear that can't be removed... so that makes it even more challenging.

We've been doing our best using our Navigator forklift, with scissor forklift mast extension, and even with fork extensions, which helps some... pushing, using another pallet to push, etc.

I see our competition uses a Gradall "telescoping forklift"... right terminology?

We've got to come up with a solution, and if this is the best option, then we've got to do it. Suggestions?

Here's a few notes:
1. Our lot is relatively small, so the smaller the machine, the better.
2. Our lot is basically covered with 1/2" rock.
3. Estimate that we will load 4-10 pallets per day.
4. We plan to buy used.
5. We're in south Louisiana... cold is seldom an issue.
6. Machine will be stored outdoors.
7. Pallets weigh 1600-2500 pounds.

Open to any feedback you can offer... and most appreciative..

Dusty Roads

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Well unless you just want another machine, I would consider having a fork extension made. Just get some I beam and weld it or have it welded with cutouts on the fork end and a reinforced T on the other. Sounds like about 12' to 14' would work for you. Should be enough weight for the lift to get traction but if not you can always add weight to the fork end.You will have to be careful turning in the lot but that maybe the cheapest way overall. You can leave it outside and don't have to worry about vandals or weather. :idea Good Luck!

Stevenbrla

Thanks Dusty...

I've read your post 3 times, and still trying to picture what you're 'splainin to me!

I'll read it a few more times, and try to draw myself a pic as I read it.

One issue when using the fork extensions is that once you get too far out there, it lifts the back tire off the ground.

We have used a 4x4 piece of lumber, placing it against the base of the pallet and pushing it further into the trailer... depends on the surface of the trailer though... and sometimes our forklift loses traction, and pushes itself backwards (when extending forks with hydraulics) or spins the tires when trying to drive forward.

A few issues... :beatsme

Stevenbrla

I'm thinking this device is basically shaped like an "I"... right??

Cutouts on one end, and the "pusher" on the other?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
If you are looking to buy a good used telehandler, I don't think the time could get much better than right now. The used market is the tank on telehandlers.

I have a Gradall 534D-6, 1998 model that I bought new. It has 3K hours or so on it and it's a tough 'ol girl, still one of my favorite machines. 4 Cyl Cummins, no computer and most electrical parts can be bought at NAPA.:thumbsup

A machine like mine would fit the bill for what you would be wanting to do. I also have a light material bucket that has seen a lot of use as well. Here are a few 534C-6's on Machinery Trader. They have several in the $9500 range.

Other than normal fluid and filters, the main thing with Gradalls is to keep the rear steering linkages greased.

Last edited:

Stevenbrla

Thanks guys...

I like the look of the Gradall 543, but wondering if I might be better off with a smaller machine? (and my goal would be to stay under that $10k mark if I can) Is it pretty maneuvarable?

I think that large of machine would work, but if something smaller would work... my lot isn't very big.

ideas?

Dusty Roads

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Well Stevenbrla I can see what you are saying I have done this before and it worked great for me but my lift was quiet a bit bigger.I looked yours up with google and seen the size of what you have and it may not work.But yeah that I shape is what I was talking about with about 3" I-beam cutouts for the forks and some bracing toward the end of the forks or a chain to the lift to hold the far end up.May still be to heavy that far out on your machine just a cheap idea...

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Obviously I don't know what you have to work around but I can tell you what I mostly used it for. Ol' Blue spent it's life building multi-family projects and a few commercial wood frame buildings thrown in. Most of the town home projects had 20' setbacks from the street and it carried framing and masonry materials and also had clean-up duties. The sites were tight and always congested. As with any machine you had to plan your route.

The Gradalls are a rear pivot machine, the rear wheels turn almost 90 degrees with a fixed front axle. So the machine's turning radius is basically the length of the machine. The rear steering takes a little bit to get used to but it can be very handy.

For example: You can drive up perpendicular to the end of a trailer with a pallet of sod and swing the Gradall around to load the trailer, all the room that you need is the length of the machine.

Stevenbrla

Well Stevenbrla I can see what you are saying I have done this before and it worked great for me but my lift was quiet a bit bigger.I looked yours up with google and seen the size of what you have and it may not work.But yeah that I shape is what I was talking about with about 3" I-beam cutouts for the forks and some bracing toward the end of the forks or a chain to the lift to hold the far end up.May still be to heavy that far out on your machine just a cheap idea...

I'm all about cheap ideas... but I'm getting concerned that loading several pallets a day is going to create too much work/safety issues, for my guy, and too much wait time for customers. If it was only one a day, not such a big deal.

For example: You can drive up perpendicular to the end of a trailer with a pallet of sod and swing the Gradall around to load the trailer, all the room that you need is the length of the machine.

I like the sound of that!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm not entirely certain about the scope of your operation, but have you considered using a skid steer or CTL with pallet forks?

monkey

telehandler :thumbsup

if you ever have a chance to get a bigger lot, the telehandler with a bucket will give you the option of also selling/loading dirt, sand...etc.

The only other option would be something like a skidsteer.....many different attachments but you're gonna run into the same problem loading the pallets of sod as you do with the forklift.

There are quite a few lots selling sod and dirt down here in Mandeville/Covington area and I've seen each different type of machine at different lots.

The telehandler seemed to be the most versatile but it also required the most room to operate. It was an Ingersoll Rand, and could "crab walk"

I doubt they are cheap though

Stevenbrla

I'm not entirely certain about the scope of your operation, but have you considered using a skid steer or CTL with pallet forks?

I've got a T190, same issue... could probably make an effective "pusher" device like we were talking about above, but as you know, tracks are heck on a rock parking lot (or is it a rock parking lot is heck on tracks?) Open to suggestions though.

I actually bought the T190 to use as a forklift for on site work, and it was effective for that, but unless I'm missing something, not very effective for loading pallets deep into a trailer (from the rear), and I can't figure out how to load those trailers with side rails from the side. I might sell the T190 to pay for whatever I purchase.

Not using the BC for site work hardly any... bought a flatbed truck, and have a Donkey forklift that I use at sites to move/deliver sod.

Not sure what a CTL is.

barklee

Sounds to me like you need something a little smaller and easier to manuver than a 6000lb machine. I would look into something like this

http://www.jlg.com/en-US/Model.html...otMenuId=d39badf6-70c2-4fa3-a03c-268cb1f085d7
OR........

http://www.bobcat.com/versahandler/compare_models/v417

OR.....http://www.us.manitou.com/publicservlet/DownloadMedia/media-17340.pdf...

Now is the time to buy as mentioned earlier, you can pick up a nice lift for under 10,000 any day of the week!!!
Good luck and happy shopping:drinkup

Stevenbrla

Thanks guys...

I think the Gradall would certainly work, but for my smaller area to work with, I'm going to shoot for something smaller... but of course, shopping used, sometimes you may or may not get to pick exactly what you want (at a decent deal, anyway.)

The machine that's catching my eye right now is the Cat TH62... any comments on it? Of course, looks like a challenge to find a decent one in my $ range... but worth trying...

One more thing... I'm trying for about 12' reach... no way to get this out of a (traditional) straight mast forklift, huh?
Of course, still might stumble on a nice version of one of those that barklee suggested... (thanks!!)

norite

On the last few jobs I have worked on, we have rented a small telescoping forklift called a genie boom.

They are strong, compact and very easy to steer especially in 4 wheel steer mode. They are 4wd and diesel powered.

Seems to me it would be ideal for what you want.

t

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
May be a Gradall 524 look on machinerytrader.com

Stevenbrla

Thanks Speedpup...

I'm concerned about the size of the Gradalls, because my lot is relatively small...

I visited the Genie/Terex dealer (literally across the highway from my place) yesterday... he showed me a Terex TX55-19. It really looked perfect for my application, and I'm thinking if I can find one for the "right" price, I can go run borrow or rent one from him to make sure it does the job. His lowest price for a used one was $37k.... about 15-20k over my plan...

Still looking...

Meanwhile I've got my welder buddy making a pushbar for my T190... maybe a temporary fix....