• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rebuilding Power Shuttle on Case 580se Backhoe

JedCase580SE

i have recently purchased a Case 580se Backhoe that would barely move forward. Reverse was fine. After researching and doing pressure tests it became apparent that the Shuttle needed rebuilding. Pulled it apart and the Forward Disks looked pretty bad. I bought a complete rebuild kit, gaskets, seals and clutch disks. I am in the process of reassembling and everything has gone smoothly until now.
I cannot get the new Reverse Clutch Disks to fit on the Ring Gear. The old disks were very tight coming off the top of the Ring Gear but they did come off. The disks line up with the teeth but just won’t go down. There are no burrs on anything.
I am thinking about heating them in some HOT oil and see it they grow just enough to fit.

What do people think on this?
Thanks

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The clutch plates need to move freely on the splined area, or you will have problems with the clutch pack binding.
Maybe the new discs are faulty?
Do the old discs look worn? If they are still OK, just reuse them.
Can you post some pictures?

JedCase580SE

I was able to get a couple of pictures last night. As you can tell, the old reverse clutch disk fits on. The old disk did take some persuading to get it on but after the first 1/8 inch it is very free on the splines.

The new disks are a different story. You can get about 70% of the disk on the splines with a good bit of pushing.

Measuring the old and new clutch disks do not find any variations of more then a couple of thousands but that might be enough to be stopping me.

On the ring gear, there seems to be one area (marked with a marker) that is tighter then the rest. There are what appear to be some hammer marks on the inside area of the ring gear from someone previously.

Even though there aren’t any burrs, I am going to file a chamfer on the leading edges of the problem area of the ring gear.

I’m hoping this works.

Attachments

• FF899F00-1B26-4005-A4AD-565D480A99BD.jpeg
    FF899F00-1B26-4005-A4AD-565D480A99BD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 0FAE6F12-C68A-4F7A-92AA-19CEC6765A9A.jpeg
    0FAE6F12-C68A-4F7A-92AA-19CEC6765A9A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • C124737C-4BBB-454E-B4C8-C2036170580D.jpeg
    C124737C-4BBB-454E-B4C8-C2036170580D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • B22FFEFE-5357-4154-8B6D-07A9BC98B55C.jpeg
    B22FFEFE-5357-4154-8B6D-07A9BC98B55C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35

Tinkerer

Unless it is the way the photo was taken it appears they are the wrong plates.
If you click on the image I am posting it will show in even better detail what I am seeing. That being that the the teeth have a different profile than the grooves.
Hopefully someone else will comment.

plate.png

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
I think you will find that the new plates will fit once you have cleaned up those ring gear teeth with a file. If I'm not mistaken, I think I see some burrs on them.

Also those plates look normal @Tinkerer.

I have rebuilt dozens of these shuttles & can count the reverse plates I have replaced on one hand.

JedCase580SE

I hope that works. The new reverse clutch disks look and measure almost exactly the same as the old ones. I am tempted to put the old ones back since they were fine but since I have changed everything else I figured I might as well use the new ones. If filing doesn’t do it the old ones are going back in. I have lots of other things to fix on this backhoe besides the shuttle.