• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rebuilding cat SS bucket...

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
I need to put a new floor and skid bars on my cat bucket. I need some advice on what to use for the floor material and bars. I was thinking 1/4"-3/8" mild steel for the floor and 3"x1/2" flat stock for the runners. Thanks!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What kind of material/dirt do you normally work in Desertwheeler?

Several years ago I got tired of scalloping between the shanks on my SS buckets so we got a new Cat smooth bucket with reverse able cutting edge, ordered some backhoe bucket shanks and trimmed the back to fit the profile of the bucket, welded those on the bucket. Now have a bucket that should last a long time.

The smallest sized steel I use as wear plates on buckets, SS included is D5 cutting edges. Cut up used ones and they make a nice wear plate. On this bucket we installed them before it ever touched the dirt.

Last edited:

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
The buckets edge is in good shaoe, it has a reversible edge on it. The bucket came with the machine and the floor is all bent up and the bars under the bucket are worn completely through and have separated at the back. Along with the back of the bucket being bent up and very thin. So I plan to leave the edge on and just replace the floor.
I use the machine around the house and do side jobs when I can with it. It mostly just see's sandy/slightly rocky material. I got a new tooth bucket for hard digging.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Delmer

I use the machine around the house and do side jobs when I can with it. It mostly just see's sandy/slightly rocky material. I got a new tooth bucket for hard digging.

3/16 or 1/4 mild steel will work fine for you. 3/8" is way overkill for a skidsteer bucket, even if it's mild and not an abrasion resistant steel. How thick was the steel originally? The flat stock for the runners sounds about right.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
Not sure the bucket came like it is I'd guess 3/16's maybe. I was thinking 1/4 would work the best thanks.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
New good buckets are 800+ cat ones are 1k plus. I can get a cheap one for 550 but they are very light weight I'm sure it would be fine but not impressed. I can do it all myself and enjoy it so unless the steel is that expensive it should be cheaper to replace the floor.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
I ended up getting a piece laser cut for free 3/8's thick. It's not mild steel either I just can't remember what they called it. Planning to rebuild it shortly.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
65f461e955f665999a4f076677ccfa41.jpg

Got it tacked together ready to weld and still have to add the skid bars. They didn't have 1/2"x3" in stock so went 4 inch instead. Should last forever now! It had cracks on the inside where the mounting Plate was, because the skid bars were worn completely through and broken. That allowed the plate to flex and break the backside of the bucket.