• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rebuild steering cylinder question (JCB)

Coytee

I've got this 1550-b that looks like I need to redo the steering cylinder. I've not yet removed it. I ordered the repair kit yesterday.

Looks like there is some "wire" inside or just under the gland cap (not sure exact name of end piece)

Any tricks or tips to remove it and install the new (STRAIGHT) version of it or just turn the nut and don't worry about it? I've never seen a cylinder that has this wire in the end. (I've only taken three cylinders apart ever, this is my fourth)

Attachments

• Cylinder.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 14

Vetech63

There should be a small slot on the outside of the cylinder barrel right in line with the wire. You will need to turn the cylinder gland to where you can see the end of the wire. Pull the wire end up just enough so that when you back the gland up, the end of the wire comes out of that slot. Continue to turn the gland until all of the wire is exposed and the hook end of the wire can be lifted out the slot. You assemble it in reverse order. The new wire always looks straight.

Coytee

small slot

That clarifies it a great deal... wouldn't have expected that.

Question.... the cylinder is on the machine. The machine is parked with the steering pump removed, most of oil drained. I'd like to do this in place (not removing cylinder)

Wheels are straight. I have no clue where the slot for the wire might be.

May I presume there would be no great challenge to leave cylinder in place and do the repair? (is there enough room to pull rod out since I currently have no hydraulic power)

I suspect I'll get my pump and a couple new hoses back maybe on Friday.

Delmer

the second page shows exactly what you need to do with the wire retainer. It shouldn't be any problem to rebuild the cylinder on the machine, just inspect the outside of the cylinder for gouges, the inside of the cylinder and piston for galling, and the rod for scratches and straightness.