1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Rebuild steering cylinder question (JCB)

Discussion in 'Construction Equipment Attachments' started by Coytee, May 6, 2020.

1. Coytee

Coytee Well-Known Member

I've got this 1550-b that looks like I need to redo the steering cylinder. I've not yet removed it. I ordered the repair kit yesterday.

Looks like there is some "wire" inside or just under the gland cap (not sure exact name of end piece)

Any tricks or tips to remove it and install the new (STRAIGHT) version of it or just turn the nut and don't worry about it? I've never seen a cylinder that has this wire in the end. (I've only taken three cylinders apart ever, this is my fourth)

Attached Files:

2. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

There should be a small slot on the outside of the cylinder barrel right in line with the wire. You will need to turn the cylinder gland to where you can see the end of the wire. Pull the wire end up just enough so that when you back the gland up, the end of the wire comes out of that slot. Continue to turn the gland until all of the wire is exposed and the hook end of the wire can be lifted out the slot. You assemble it in reverse order. The new wire always looks straight.

mg2361 likes this.
  3. Coytee

Coytee Well-Known Member

That clarifies it a great deal... wouldn't have expected that.

Question.... the cylinder is on the machine. The machine is parked with the steering pump removed, most of oil drained. I'd like to do this in place (not removing cylinder)

Wheels are straight. I have no clue where the slot for the wire might be.

May I presume there would be no great challenge to leave cylinder in place and do the repair? (is there enough room to pull rod out since I currently have no hydraulic power)

I suspect I'll get my pump and a couple new hoses back maybe on Friday.

4. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

the second page shows exactly what you need to do with the wire retainer. It shouldn't be any problem to rebuild the cylinder on the machine, just inspect the outside of the cylinder for gouges, the inside of the cylinder and piston for galling, and the rod for scratches and straightness.

mg2361 and Vetech63 like this.
  5. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

^What Delmer said^

mg2361 likes this.